What do you think about this as my topic for PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Mrkulick1987

What do you think about this as my topic for PS

Postby Mrkulick1987 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:38 pm

I am starting to work on my personal statement and would like some feed back on the topic I intend on writing about. I would like to write about drug addiction,alcoholism, and domestic violence. Each have run ramped through my family for the past 15 years including in my own life. Furthermore, I would like to discuss the adversity that was overcome in order for my family and I to get back on my feet ( i.e ended up homeless at 19, had a couple of close encounters to death, etc). After overcoming such obstacles I ended up back in college and will be graduating in August. Also, it is very apparent in my transcript of the struggles starting early in high school ( three high schools in my senior year, grades started to slip, college grades were mediocre, followed by a dramatic increase in my grades up until graduation(3.5). Please fill me on your opinions and outlooks on such a topic. thank you

Mattalones

Re: What do you think about this as my topic for PS

Postby Mattalones » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 pm

You have two things going on here, which are both good.

1) Your story and the journey
2) The effects on your grades

Deal with them in separate pieces of writing. You will have a personal statement and a GPA addendum. The PS will be more of a narrative-type recounting of you life and struggles. The addendum will be a concise, factual, non-narrative explanation of your grade trend.

I hope that helps.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”