GPA Addendum help......

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
raperez129

GPA Addendum help......

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:22 pm

I am considering a GPA addendum. My LSAC GPA is 3.08, and it disappoints me. I was studying the summary report, and realized that there are two periods that stand out to be very low (below 3.0). The other semesters are all 3.3 or better. I starting thinking back to what was happening during the low times, and realized they could be explained.

Dear Admissions Committee

There are two periods in my academic record which reflect an uncharacteristically low GPA. Please accept my explanation as follows:

Fall 1995 – Spring 1996
In September 1995 I learned I was pregnant. During the Fall 1995 semester, I was surviving severe and nearly constant nausea related to my pregnancy. I was also under significant emotional stress, attempting to hide my pregnancy from my father and coordinate arrangements so that I could move out of his home and support myself and my expected child. During Spring 1996, I was diagnosed with pregnancy complications, including preeclampsia and intrauterine growth restriction. I was under additional emotional stress due to worry about the health and survival of my baby. My daughter was born prematurely on April 23, 1996, weighing 3 pounds, 12 ounces. Her pediatrician required her to stay in the hospital NICU for approximately 2-3 weeks after I was discharged. My GPA for this time period was low, and I was forced to withdraw from one course, because I had difficulty managing multiple daily trips to the hospital to feed my daughter in combination with end of semester final exams.

Fall 1998 – Spring 1999
During this period I resided in XXXX, XXXXX and I signed an off-campus lease with a childhood friend who was also attending the University of XXXXXXX. In October 1998, shortly after signing our lease, she dropped out of school and moved home with her parents. I was determined to stay in school, and moving home was not an option for me, therefore I was obligated to assume the full lease. I worked 40+ hours a week as a waitress, picking up extra shifts when available, in order to make extra money. Working and making time for my daughter left me with inadequate time to devote to studying, resulting in a low GPA.

Looking back, I truly regret that I was unable to find a way to keep my GPA on par. However, I am proud that despite the obstacles, I stayed in school continuously, and completed my undergraduate degree. I assure you that it is my intention to be just as tenacious in my law school program.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX

What do you think? It was a long time ago, and since then I did an MBA (with 3.8 ), and I have 10 years of WE. I suppose my subsequent work could speak for itself. Is it worth explaining, or should I just leave it alone?

umichgrad

Re: GPA Addendum help......

Postby umichgrad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:09 pm

It's good, and definitely one of the less-BS GPA addenda i've seen on here

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:14 pm

The uncharacteristic dips in my GPA were related to a difficult pregnancy while in school and subsequently working full time to support my child and myself (single mom?). Thank you for taking these issues under consideration.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Finally a legit GPA addendum, not just - geez, the LSAC screwed me.

Also, well written - submit those bad boys. In addition, you have 10 years space and W/E, you should be fine

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 pm

narkizopoint wrote:The uncharacteristic dips in my GPA were related to a difficult pregnancy while in school and subsequently working full time to support my child and myself (single mom?). Thank you for taking these issues under consideration.

Good suggestion. I'll add it.
Yes I was a single mom. I mention it my PS.

hobbsey

Postby hobbsey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 pm

raperez129 wrote: I was also under significant emotional stress, attempting to hide my pregnancy from my father and coordinate arrangements so that I could move out of his home and support myself and my expected child.

I think submitting the addendum is fine because it offers a very reasonable explanation for the low GPA during those periods. Yours is also well written. However, the sentence above struck me as odd. I think taking the whole thing out would make the statement seem a little more professional. Or maybe combine it with the previous sentence "The pregnancy caused signficiant physical and emtional stress during the fall 1995 semester" and take out the naseua thing also.

raperez129

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:37 pm

hobbsey wrote:
raperez129 wrote: I was also under significant emotional stress, attempting to hide my pregnancy from my father and coordinate arrangements so that I could move out of his home and support myself and my expected child.

I think submitting the addendum is fine because it offers a very reasonable explanation for the low GPA during those periods. Yours is also well written. However, the sentence above struck me as odd. I think taking the whole thing out would make the statement seem a little more professional. Or maybe combine it with the previous sentence "The pregnancy caused signficiant physical and emtional stress during the fall 1995 semester" and take out the naseua thing also.

Noted. How about changing the odd sentence to "I was also under significant emotional stress because I was struggling to quickly secure arrangements to support myself and my expected child."

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:33 pm

This looks really good, definitely include that you were a single mother.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”