Sensitive PS topic??

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
eastcoaster09

Sensitive PS topic??

Postby eastcoaster09 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Last edited by eastcoaster09 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeff

Re: Sensitive PS topic??

Postby yeff » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 am

eastcoaster09 wrote:I currently go to UG at one of the schools that was unfortunate enough have experienced a school shooting. I was wondering what you all thought on the idea of talking about how the experience has made me a grow as a person, as well as how it has led me to make certain positive choices in my life which have allowed me to branch out and take advantage of certain opportunities I would have not considered previously. In regards to helping me grow as a person I'm thinking about saying how I always believed I would do something with my life someday but never really believed the present was important as it was, and how this event made me realize I needed to stop waiting for this day to magically appear and actually begin to work as hard as I could (increased my drive, passion, etc), which could be seen in the increase of both my GPA as well as activities outside of school. From there I would talk about these activities, one being studying abroad (although I know it probably gets brought up a lot) while not knowing anyone else in the program or even the language, with the eventual outcomes of succeeding in situations of discomfort, quick learning ability, and ability to connect with people despite different barriers. The other activity is how it led me to be the main organizer and host of a friends memorial cancer benefit event which 3 other friends helped to plan the logistics (showing team management plus how I can manage time since much of the planning was done during the weeks of our finals, as well as commitment to helping others). Basically the main questions I have are 1) do you all think it is a good idea to bring up such a subject? and 2) do you think the activities listed provide adequate information as to why I would be a good law student?

edit - something I forgot to mention and have yet to decide whether I should add in was that I'm currently studying for the CPA exam and hope to have it finished by next fall, even though tax law is not what I plan on studying

Any commentary appreciated, thanks.

1) If that incident sparked personal changes that have lead to self-improvement and the desire to be a lawyer, it is fine
2) These activities may be well and good, but nothing you've written explains your interest in law school.

Waggly Toast

Postby Waggly Toast » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 pm

You have presented a lot of information you'd like to cover. I would suggest focusing on one or two experiences (i.e. shooting and increased GPA and/or outside activities, only the shooting, only studying abroad, only the memorial cancer benefit, or the shooting and the memorial cancer benefit, etc.). Covering too much ground might make it difficult to provide specific information that accentuates your strengths.

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”