URGENT QUESTION about reapplying - please read! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
btwn3and20characters

New

URGENT QUESTION about reapplying - please read!

Post by btwn3and20characters » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Hello wise ones, new member with quick question...

I'm currently applied to schools and haven't heard back yet, however I have a job offer that I'm willing to take and reapply next cycle. If I decide to reapply, would I need to:

rewrite my personal statement?
get new LOR's?

I will obviously update my GPA as I am still in undergrad, but otherwise I don't foresee any huge changes from now until Oct. that would warrant either of the above mentioned.

Would it also matter if I wait to hear back? I can, in theory, quit my job (before actually starting) in the event I get accepted, but if I get WL'ed Ill surely reapply next year (also if I apply early next year I can possibly get $ at one or two of the schools). I ask because I wonder if it looks any different to withdraw an app before hearing back from a school and reapply on those terms, or waiting to hear back first. I understand there's no formulaic answer but any suggestions will be much appreciated and considered.

Thanks!

btwn3and20characters

New

Re: URGENT QUESTION about reapplying - please read!

Post by btwn3and20characters » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:46 pm

bump?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:48 pm

If you get accepted to any of these schools it is possible for you to ask them for a one-year deferral on the basis that you wish to work for a year and get that experience prior to starting law school. The school will possibly see this as a positive (students with work experience tend to do better than those with similar grades/LSAT who do nto) and be willing to grant the deferral. In this case, you would not need to apply next year at all, since they would be holding a seat for you next year with the payment of your seat deposits.

Also, please don't bump. You waited what, ten minutes, before bumping? Give people time to read and respond it first, this isn't all that urgent.

btwn3and20characters

New

Post by btwn3and20characters » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Thank you for the reply. Bump comment has been duly noted.

Any more comments will be highly appreciated.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:52 pm

I reapplied to 6 of the same schools, and sent the same LOR's. I slightly modified my PS and DS, but didn't make major changes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:55 pm

If you are reapplying to the same schools then I think the rule of thumb on here is to rewrite your PS, or at least revise it in some way. As far as LOR's go, you probably would be fine resubmitting the ones you have, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to add 1 or 2 new ones to your file if you can get them.

I was in you shoes last year, and I wound up deferring a year at a school and reapplied this year. I sent a new PS to schools, along with the same LOR's, and I don't think reapplying has hurt me at all (I retook the LSAT and improved so that most likely is helping me more than reapplying is hurting). I think you could definitely benefit from taking the year off, saving money, and applying earlier in the cycle (to possibly get some $$) if you don't have any reason to rush into law school this year.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:56 pm

I used the same essay this cycle as I did last cycle. So far I have been accepted to 3 schools that waitlisted me last year.

Edit: I forgot to mention I increased my LSAT score. Something must change about your package in order to expect a different outcome.

btwn3and20characters

New

Post by btwn3and20characters » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. I already took the LSAT twice so I don't think I'm going to take it over. I guess I can always change my personal statement a little bit to reflect the fact that I will have graduated and will be working full time (albeit for only 2 or 3 months upon reapplication). Well, I signed my offer letter about an hour ago, so that decision has already been made :)...I can always quit and take go to school if I hear back from one of these bloody institutions anytime soon. I certainly can't complain about having a job, though, esp in this economy, and I'm happy I have the option. Depending on what schools get back to me I'll take all your suggestions into consideration next cycle. thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”