d

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tsbotros

d

Postby tsbotros » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:17 pm

cc
Last edited by tsbotros on Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

kittenmittons

Re: depression

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:19 pm

Clinically diagnosed?

tsbotros

Postby tsbotros » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 pm

cc
Last edited by tsbotros on Wed May 12, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:21 pm

probably more appropriate as a diversity statement?
...what did the therapist say? I mean it's not like they'd give you a plaque.

tsbotros

Postby tsbotros » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:23 pm

cc
Last edited by tsbotros on Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:24 pm

tsbotros wrote:pretty much determined i was dealing with depression but eventually worked through it and became stronger minded

diversity statement.

tsbotros

Postby tsbotros » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 pm

so you think this subject is a little too personal for a personal statement? might turn admission people the wrong way?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:26 pm

tsbotros wrote:so you think this subject is a little too personal for a personal statement? might turn admission people the wrong way?

no it's not that... it's just, while undoubtedly having a big part in your life for at least a while, not extraordinarily unique or interesting, and probably not the part of your 'personal' nature that would be most preferable to convey.

...gonna pm you

tsbotros

Postby tsbotros » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:30 pm

ok

tsbotros

Postby tsbotros » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 pm

cc
Last edited by tsbotros on Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:42 pm

tsbotros wrote:so should i take the word depression out and just filter it with another word

oh, no if you're going to talk about it anyway go ahead and say it... what the heck would you replace it with? "negative affect?"

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:58 am

edit
Last edited by umichgrad on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:43 am

cry me a river

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:47 am

Rather risky. If possible, focus on a topic with more reward.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Unless it's the critical to the topic you are addressing in your PS, I probably wouldn't put it there. If it is, then go ahead, just make sure you don't leave it as an open-ended thing that could recur at any time. Show that you've overcome it.

If it isn't critical to your PS topic, but still had a significant impact on your life, I'd consider bringing it up in a diversity statement or GPA addendum.

I don't think the stigma is as bad as some people think, as long as you show that it's something you've addressed.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:45 pm

autarkh wrote:Unless it's the critical to the topic you are addressing in your PS, I probably wouldn't put it there. If it is, then go ahead, just make sure you don't leave it as an open-ended thing that could recur at any time. Show that you've overcome it.

If it isn't critical to your PS topic, but still had a significant impact on your life, I'd consider bringing it up in a diversity statement or GPA addendum.

I don't think the stigma is as bad as some people think, as long as you show that it's something you've addressed.

This. It's good DS material, and I absolutely think you should acknowledge it as such, but not in your personal statement.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 pm

I wrote about depression in my PS, but as something that doctors were diagnosing me with instead of looking deeper and finding the issues that were ultimately causing it. I had to ultimately do that myself and I wrote about that as part of my growth.

Depression in itself is sadly stigmatizing and not really something you want to admit to having unless it's part of a discussion on something greater. If you NEED to mention it, as part of an addendum, then do so, but don't draw unnecessary attention to it.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I wrote about depression in my PS, but as something that doctors were diagnosing me with instead of looking deeper and finding the issues that were ultimately causing it. I had to ultimately do that myself and I wrote about that as part of my growth.

Depression in itself is sadly stigmatizing and not really something you want to admit to having unless it's part of a discussion on something greater. If you NEED to mention it, as part of an addendum, then do so, but don't draw unnecessary attention to it.

I think OP should discuss it. I brought it up in my DS, but I don't think anyone should let depression or any illness define them, which is why IMO it's better to make it the focus of a kick ass diversity statement.

The strange thing about talking about it as that people seem really happy that such a dialogue exists. People want to be able to acknowledge depression, and they feel like they can't. It's absolutely an important conversation to be having, and I don't think OP should steer clear just because the stigma exists, but OP is more than his or her depression. It's hard to generalize about a PS, but it should be a reflection of the writer. Mine took borderline imprudent risks, because I live my own life that way. If it's memorable, and leaves a positive impression on the reader, it works.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:20 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:The strange thing about talking about it as that people seem really happy that such a dialogue exists. People want to be able to acknowledge depression, and they feel like they can't.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, my only concern is whether a law school admissions application is the appropriate forum to have that dialogue. If OP wants to talk about depression here I'm all for that, but that doesn't mean I think he should jump at the chance to tell adcomms about it.

It's probably good that OP is getting varying responses though. It'll give him more options to choose from on what he ultimately ends up doing.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:35 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:The strange thing about talking about it as that people seem really happy that such a dialogue exists. People want to be able to acknowledge depression, and they feel like they can't.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, my only concern is whether a law school admissions application is the appropriate forum to have that dialogue. If OP wants to talk about depression here I'm all for that, but that doesn't mean I think he should jump at the chance to tell adcomms about it.

It's probably good that OP is getting varying responses though. It'll give him more options to choose from on what he ultimately ends up doing.

I agree. For many people, however, it creates enough of a disturbance (semester of lower grades, gap in employment) that it needs to be addressed somehow, and OP might fall into that category. It saddens me that we even have to worry what adcomms might think. IMO the more discussion the better, but I acknowledge that this is something not everyone is comfortable talking about. I got very personal in both my PS and DS; there are things in there that my closest friends don't know, and I made risky choices for sure. If I had it to do over again, I might tone down the emotion, but I would not change the content. If OP wants to talk about depression, it is fine to do so, but I don't mean to imply that it's required.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:37 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I agree. For many people, however, it creates enough of a disturbance (semester of lower grades, gap in employment) that it needs to be addressed somehow, and OP might fall into that category. It saddens me that we even have to worry what adcomms might think. IMO the more discussion the better, but I acknowledge that this is something not everyone is comfortable talking about. I got very personal in both my PS and DS; there are things in there that my closest friends don't know, and I made risky choices for sure. If I had it to do over again, I might tone down the emotion, but I would not change the content. If OP wants to talk about depression, it is fine to do so, but I don't mean to imply that it's required.

Tell us more. I am all attantion

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:44 pm

JustDude wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I agree. For many people, however, it creates enough of a disturbance (semester of lower grades, gap in employment) that it needs to be addressed somehow, and OP might fall into that category. It saddens me that we even have to worry what adcomms might think. IMO the more discussion the better, but I acknowledge that this is something not everyone is comfortable talking about. I got very personal in both my PS and DS; there are things in there that my closest friends don't know, and I made risky choices for sure. If I had it to do over again, I might tone down the emotion, but I would not change the content. If OP wants to talk about depression, it is fine to do so, but I don't mean to imply that it's required.

Tell us more. I am all attantion

Oh, it's nothing all that exciting. Perhaps if I'd told a better story I might not have been waitlisted so long. :mrgreen:

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:11 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:For many people, however, it creates enough of a disturbance (semester of lower grades, gap in employment) that it needs to be addressed somehow, and OP might fall into that category.

Oh, I fully agree that if it's necessary to explain something, he should talk about it, preferably in an addendum. I was just concerned he was talking about it for the sake of having something unique to focus on in his PS, and that's not a great topic for that at all IMO.

tsbotros

Postby tsbotros » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:58 pm

cc
Last edited by tsbotros on Wed May 12, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

hausoian878

Postby hausoian878 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:15 am

For anyone who has ever been diagnosed with depression, it is impossible to ignore as one of the most central elements of your life. In my opinion, simply not mentioning it is not being honest with yourself or with the people who will admit you into law school. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I've never known the inner-workings of admissions committees, but I have been diagnosed as having mental illness issues and to pass it off as something that is embarrassing or suspecting that someone would try to gain pity from an adcomm is downright insulting to those who have dealt with depression or any other mental illness. This is serious stuff, folks. This is reality, not something to hide. Do you not think that adcomms are aware that many law students and many LAWYERS are prone to depression? Get real.

If I were writing my personal statement today, I would most definitely include my history with mental illness and show how it has impacted me. Further, I would write about how it has changed my mindset and my general outlook on life. There is great potential there for a personal statement, but it all depends on what you want to bring out of it to make yourself the best possible candidate you can be.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”