first draft - be harsh Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Lawl Shcool

Silver

first draft - be harsh

Post by Lawl Shcool » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:18 pm

Last edited by Lawl Shcool on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTTennis

Bronze

Re: first draft - be harsh

Post by TTTennis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm

There's a poster named JustDude...if you want harsh, have him take a look at it.

sarcasmpolice

New

Post by sarcasmpolice » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Newberry Medal contender.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:37 pm

sarcasmpolice wrote:Newberry Medal contender.
?

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:39 pm

isnt the newberry for children's novels?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:46 pm

Wikipedia wrote:The John Newbery Medal is a literary award given by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association (ALA). The award is given to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children
I think the joke went over my head.

edit: quote fix

sarcasmpolice

New

Post by sarcasmpolice » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:04 am

JPU wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:The John Newbery Medal is a literary award given by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association (ALA). The award is given to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children
I think the joke went over my head.

edit: quote fix
I could see a young Kirk Cameron playing the lead in this Family Channel/Disney/ABC abortion of a movie. Change the lead to a woman, throw in a rape scene, and you're ready for Lifetime.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 am

since no one is biting i will take a stab at it, you should not be talking about high school events in essays like these, try to find something that happened during your college years or later. especially since you are old enough to transfer

you dont really talk in depth about what happened to you as a person or how you developed, it reads like a stereotypical "a overcoming a sports event" story, this is probably because your story is too shallow

in general your topic choice really limits you from showing your maturity and makes you sound like a teenager writing a personal story in high school. that is probably why you got hit with the newberry joke

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 am

$1.99 wrote:since no one is biting i will take a stab at it, you should not be talking about high school events in essays like these, try to find something that happened during your college years or later. especially since you are old enough to transfer

you dont really talk in depth about what happened to you as a person or how you developed, it reads like a stereotypical "a overcoming a sports event" story, this is probably because your story is too shallow

in general your topic choice really limits you from showing your maturity and makes you sound like a teenager writing a personal story in high school. that is probably why you got hit with the newberry joke
That is what I was worried about. I just graduated from UG in August right before law school started so its only 5 years removed but still I should make it more recent.

I will be back with a new draft soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:08 am

yeah despite the laughs i get from the jokes made on this site, just ignore them and focus on your goals, hope everything works out

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:31 am

$1.99 wrote:yeah despite the laughs i get from the jokes made on this site, just ignore them and focus on your goals, hope everything works out
He asked for our $.02. We obliged him. Take the rest of your $1.97 and go somewhere else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”