HELP..CRITIQUE MY GPA ADDENDUM

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
HOPINGFORLAW10

HELP..CRITIQUE MY GPA ADDENDUM

Postby HOPINGFORLAW10 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm new to TLS. Looking for honest critiques on how to improve my GPA addendum. Here it is:

To Whom It May Concern:

I do not believe that my UGPA of 2.XX from XXX University is truly indicative of my ability to succeed in law school at XXX University. During my first semester in college, I struggled to make a transition from high school to a large private school. I ended my freshman semester on Academic Probation with a cumulative and semester GPA of XXX. While the fact that I initially found it difficult to transition from high school to a large university is not sufficient to explain why my present GPA is a 2.XX, I do believe that it is worth noting several difficult courses where my true academic abilities are reflected. Courses such as Abnormal Psychology and Math for Liberal Arts confirm my academic potential to succeed in difficult courses with difficult professors. My overall GPA is surely a testimony to the fact that I spent over forty hours per week working to pay off several expenses including student loans. I also had the responsibility of driving to and from school every day to pick up my younger brother to care for him throughout the day. Doing so, put a great strain on my academic coursework. I am sure that the grades in my many of my courses are not representative of my ability to do well in law school. The upward trend in my LSAT score is a better indicator of my true potential and ability to succeed in law school and beyond.

vanwinkle

Re: HELP..CRITIQUE MY GPA ADDENDUM

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Half of the sentences in this say in either a direct or implied manner, "My GPA is not indicative of my academic ability." This does not help at all.

You need to tell them what happened. Let them decide if your GPA is indicative of your academic ability after reading the facts. Just disclose what happened and ask them in the end to consider it.

Also what is an "upward trend in my LSAT score"? That makes no sense.

HOPINGFORLAW10

Postby HOPINGFORLAW10 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:46 pm

thanks alot...ill rework it

oh and when i said upward trend...Im writing an lsat addendum because my 1st lsat score isnt as good as my second lsat score...there was an upward trend but ill take that out and reword it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Please read this, also:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=86526

It is there to help you.

bees

Postby bees » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:06 pm

You have nothing in that addendum worth making an adcom read it except (maybe) for the fact that you worked 40 hrs per week and had to care for your brother (this could be one or two sentences). They will see that in your resume/application and I doubt it is enough to warrant an addendum anyways. Please don't submit this, referencing specific classes that do not even sound difficult isn't going to help either.

If you want to include an addendum explaining the difference between your LSAT scores that is fine, as long as you have an actual reason.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:34 pm

You are mixing three excuses, and as a result they all seem kinda made up.
Your first excuse is not really an excuse. If you were lazy in the firstyear, then you were lazy. It's your own fault. You can argue that lazyness is a disease but it will not give you a handicapped parking permit. Also do you have a strong GPA upward trend?.. Because if not, sadly there is nothing to write about.

It is going to be much stronger if you rewrite it focusing on only two issues: 40 hours a week work and your brothers care.
You can highlight your upward GPA trend by saying that after a year you learned how to tackle all three tasks, study, work and infant care.

Do not say that you need to work to pay off loan, including students. Your compulsive spending is your own problem, and student loans are kicking in after graduation. Look lame.

HOPINGFORLAW10

Postby HOPINGFORLAW10 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Thanks

I wasn't being lazy, it was just hard to adjust especially identifying in the LBGT category.My GPA has moved up since my spohomore year so I will also say that. and I pay parent loans that my mother took out in her name and a car note.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:58 pm

I never said you are lazy. The person that I have in mind after reading you addendum is.

Fitting in with LGBT - into Diversity statement. If there are some good stories, they will count. But dont make GPA excuses there.

Regarding addendum and your loans situations. It seems to me that a story is much deeper then what we read.
So, writing some narrative describing why you had to pay loans and watch for brother will benefit you. Attribute your upward GPA to your getting accoustomed over time to deal with all those issues.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:21 am

On behalf of technical majors everywhere, please, please, please do not include Math for Liberal Arts as an example of a class that proves you are able to master difficult subject matter.

Also, yay Justdude!!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”