please review Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
oldfart

New

please review

Post by oldfart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:09 pm

This is my first very roght draft (wrote it this morning). Please critique and butcher if necessary. Thanks!

deleted
Last edited by oldfart on Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgiana

Silver

Re: please review

Post by Georgiana » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:38 pm

1) I don't like the opening, it seems cliched.

2) The rest reads like a resume followed by "I want to go to law school because..."

3) If you're going to focus on an interest in IP law and aren't going to specifically say Trademarks/Copyright, I really hope you have a technical degree (science/engineering). Knowing how to write code will not get you a patent job.

AsylumPB

Bronze

Post by AsylumPB » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:44 pm

too many words in quotes....i agree that it reads like a resume....maybe try writing about just your software company and how your experiences there have led you to wanting to study law...try to keep it just on one or two major topics. you could make a good story out of it, but i don't think you need the stuff about your prior work exp.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldfart

New

Post by oldfart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:56 pm

Thank you for the advice. I thought it might sound a little resumeish. Like I said, I did this just a few hours ago. I know it is by no means complete. I just needed to get something on paper.

As far as needing an engineering background, I do disagree some on the grounds that I have years of experience. Also, I do have friends that are patent lawyers without the technical degree.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oldfart

New

Post by oldfart » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:58 pm

Also, I will be specifically copyright/trademarks.

Thanks.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:00 pm

oldfart wrote:Thank you for the advice. I thought it might sound a little resumeish. Like I said, I did this just a few hours ago. I know it is by no means complete. I just needed to get something on paper.

As far as needing an engineering background, I do disagree some on the grounds that I have years of experience. Also, I do have friends that are patent lawyers without the technical degree.
It really depends on whether you want to be able to take the patent bar. http://www.patentbarstudy.com/exam/qualifications.html

During my interviews with LOTS of patent attorneys during OCI, its true that you can get into patent litigation without the tech degree, but they'll take someone with the degree over you if they can.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”