anyone willing to read my personal statement (2 pages)?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
mharrin5507

anyone willing to read my personal statement (2 pages)?

Postby mharrin5507 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:54 pm

anybody?

DukeHopeful

Re: anyone willing to read my personal statement (2 pages)?

Postby DukeHopeful » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:24 pm

I'll give it a shot. It sucks when no one responds. I think you have a great story to tell, as you obviously are coming from a different background than most law applicants. That said, your statement needs a good bit of work. You need a central underlying theme behind this statement. You talk about your past experiences and what you've overcome, but I don't get a real sense of how you are tying that into anything that adcomms might be looking for. If you want to make perseverance your theme, go for it. Pick a specific story that you can tie into an overall theme on perseverance and demonstrate how it has truly shaped your world view. Also, while I see what you wanted with the LSAT story, it doesn't really belong in the PS. Write an addendum explaining why the more recent score better reflects your abilities. You don't want to waste the valuable space afforded to your PS to tell them about something they will see on your LSDAS report, not to mention the fact that you can write the aforementioned addendum. You want to tell the adcomms about you, set yourself apart, explain how you will bring something different to the classroom.

Remember, this is your opportunity to explain to the adcomms what they can't see about you from looking at the rest of your application. You definitely seem to have a story to tell, you just need to let it come out.

mharrin5507

Re: anyone willing to read my personal statement (2 pages)?

Postby mharrin5507 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 pm

thank you for your feedback

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”