UT vs. higher rated schools

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sternc

UT vs. higher rated schools

Postby sternc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 pm

Assume I am in at all of these places paying full sticker. Which of these schools, Texas (#15) vs. t8-t12, would be best? I know the rankings and everything, but I am thinking of it from the standpoint of wanting to continue to live and work in Dallas, TX. Would it be that much more beneficial to go to the highest rated, or if I know I want to stay home in Dallas is UT best? What do y'all think?

catharsis

Re: UT vs. higher rated schools

Postby catharsis » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Im in the same boat. Im paying sticker also but got into a couple of other higher ranked schools. I've been told though that if Texas is for sure where we want to be that outside of HYS, and assuming we're paying sticker everywhere or not having a substantial scholly at those higher ranked schools, that nothing is better than Texas.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 pm

sternc wrote:Assume I am in at all of these places paying full sticker. Which of these schools, Texas (#15) vs. t8-t12, would be best? I know the rankings and everything, but I am thinking of it from the standpoint of wanting to continue to live and work in Dallas, TX. Would it be that much more beneficial to go to the highest rated, or if I know I want to stay home in Dallas is UT best? What do y'all think?

personally, in your case, id go w/ UT -- esp. since, i assume, you'd be paying in-state tuition (even at sticker)

UT is very strong in Texas, and other schools would give you some more national reach but not necessarily a leg up in texas, where you can build connections, start internships, etc. texas and texans have a lot of pride - if you have no connection to texas, it is hard to break into the legal market in general here (from what ive heard/read).

go w/ texas and try to minimize your debt, esp. ITE

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:35 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
sternc wrote:Assume I am in at all of these places paying full sticker. Which of these schools, Texas (#15) vs. t8-t12, would be best? I know the rankings and everything, but I am thinking of it from the standpoint of wanting to continue to live and work in Dallas, TX. Would it be that much more beneficial to go to the highest rated, or if I know I want to stay home in Dallas is UT best? What do y'all think?

personally, in your case, id go w/ UT -- esp. since, i assume, you'd be paying in-state tuition (even at sticker)

UT is very strong in Texas, and other schools would give you some more national reach but not necessarily a leg up in texas, where you can build connections, start internships, etc. texas and texans have a lot of pride - if you have no connection to texas, it is hard to break into the legal market in general here (from what ive heard/read).

+1

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:36 pm

If you're in-state, TCR is Texas. It's not that far off from lower T14 and in-state tuition is significantly cheaper than any T14 school (like, more than $10K/yr cheaper). Texas economy is cheap and you'll do well there with a UT degree. Plus, low COL and you get to live in Austin for 3 years. Win-win.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:48 pm

vanwinkle wrote:If you're in-state, TCR is Texas. It's not that far off from lower T14 and in-state tuition is significantly cheaper than any T14 school (like, more than $10K/yr cheaper). Texas economy is cheap and you'll do well there with a UT degree. Plus, low COL and you get to live in Austin for 3 years. Win-win.

+1 ... however, there is also a slight diversity argument ... even law firms in Texas don't want their entire class coming from UT.

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:55 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:

As usual I completely agree with everything DC has to say.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:03 am

driveshaft wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

As usual I completely agree with everything DC has to say.

:P thanks

hey, we might even be in the same section in august, if you choose to go w/ HLS lol

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:55 am

So what are the thoughts on UT vs CCN (assume both at sticker)?

louboutin

Postby louboutin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:18 pm

or thoughts on UT v. CCN w/ a scholarship at UT. plus in-state tuition. I just really can't decide between NYU or UT.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:27 pm

louboutin wrote:or thoughts on UT v. CCN w/ a scholarship at UT. plus in-state tuition. I just really can't decide between NYU or UT.

depends so much on what you want to do -- work and stay in TX or work and stay in NYC? (or any other major market i suppose, but esp. NYC)

UT is obviously going to lose out vs. CCN in that region, but not necessarily in TX, esp. when you consider the effects of having relatively no debt. someone who gets into CCN and UT PROBABLY has a sizable scholarship for UT. if it is in-state tuition, even better. may end up only paying $45k for 3 yrs at UT then (tuition-wise), which is a great deal! TX is also heck of a lot cheaper. if you're at the top of the class at UT, you could land a big firm TX job that pays market rate (or around) but live in a place where you can feel noticeably "richer."

also, many make the argument that austin is one of the best cities to live in -- and id agree, but NYC is quite amazing too (on a love or hate sort of scale)

disclaimer: i know of some at UT right now who graduated and are having a hard time finding jobs -- they arent at the top of the class, but not the bottom either. relative to other states, TX has survived this recession pretty damn well for a number of reasons, but that doesnt mean the legal market, even in TX, is as robust as it once was

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:52 pm

tagged

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”