Italicize course titles?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Kulax22

Italicize course titles?

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 am

Little question and I've seen conflicting answers.

If you mention "I'd love to take Prof. Smith's course Law School for Dummies" do you italicize it? Or just capitalize the main words?

reebtoor

Re: Italicize course titles?

Postby reebtoor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:48 am

I have never seen course titles italicized in a written reference. Not that it's an authoritative source, but here is what HLS's dean wrote in a professor evaluation:

"Many students enjoyed Civil Procedure much more than they expected to, largely because of Kagan. The course, like the
professor, was praised as well-organized (10), clear (5), and effective (4). Although it was a required course, many students (32)
recommended it."

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:53 am

reebtoor wrote:I have never seen course titles italicized in a written reference. Not that it's an authoritative source, but here is what HLS's dean wrote in a professor evaluation:

"Many students enjoyed Civil Procedure much more than they expected to, largely because of Kagan. The course, like the
professor, was praised as well-organized (10), clear (5), and effective (4). Although it was a required course, many students (32)
recommended it."

Thank you for this. Strangely, I find italicized titles on Harvard's website... :|

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:00 am

The University of Minnesota's Style Manual puts this at the top of the "do not italicize" list.

"Do not italicize or use quotation marks around:

University course titles; capitalize initial letters of major words"

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”