Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Italicize course titles?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 am 

Little question and I've seen conflicting answers.

If you mention "I'd love to take Prof. Smith's course Law School for Dummies" do you italicize it? Or just capitalize the main words?

Post subject: Re: Italicize course titles?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:48 am 

I have never seen course titles italicized in a written reference. Not that it's an authoritative source, but here is what HLS's dean wrote in a professor evaluation:

"Many students enjoyed Civil Procedure much more than they expected to, largely because of Kagan. The course, like the
professor, was praised as well-organized (10), clear (5), and effective (4). Although it was a required course, many students (32)
recommended it."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:53 am 

reebtoor wrote:
I have never seen course titles italicized in a written reference. Not that it's an authoritative source, but here is what HLS's dean wrote in a professor evaluation:

"Many students enjoyed Civil Procedure much more than they expected to, largely because of Kagan. The course, like the
professor, was praised as well-organized (10), clear (5), and effective (4). Although it was a required course, many students (32)
recommended it."

Thank you for this. Strangely, I find italicized titles on Harvard's website... :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:00 am 

The University of Minnesota's Style Manual puts this at the top of the "do not italicize" list.

"Do not italicize or use quotation marks around:

University course titles; capitalize initial letters of major words"