no more help for this one.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
daizee

no more help for this one.

Postby daizee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:32 pm

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! DELETING BECAUSE I'VE LEARNED HOW SILLY THIS WAS, BUT I'M GLAD YOU HELPED TEACH ME!
Last edited by daizee on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

livitup11

Re: ADDENDUM - Childish?

Postby livitup11 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:47 pm

No, I wouldn't say it's pathetic- we all know that things happen. Maybe, however, it's a bit grandiose.

geostuck

Postby geostuck » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:08 pm

daizee wrote:Does this sound pathetic???
I did manage to bring up my score 54 points under timed conditions.

54 points is quite an improvement..... 120->174.

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:11 pm

or raw points

30 ---> 84?

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:17 pm

daizee wrote:Does this sound pathetic???

The December LSAT reflects an investment of personal time off, during which I dedicated myself full time to studying for the LSAT. I’m single and the only provider for my little family of rescued animals. Time off is a luxury and not easy to obtain. Management was kind to allow time to study for the December LSAT. I was also dealing with the loss of my best friend, who died two days before the LSAT.

These aren’t excuses, just the way life unfolds. I did manage to bring up my score 54 points under timed conditions. However, this was not enough time to earn a score that would merit a glance, let alone any scholarship assistance.

I plan to re-take the LSAT in June with one caveat; I wish to begin my legal career as soon as possible. Waiting for premium scores is more of luxury for the youth. Time is no longer on my side. However, I’m hopeful that you will be.

What is this? I'm so confused. When did you take the LSAT the first time? What was your first score? If you retook and scored 54 points higher, why are you taking it in June? Why would you mention your "little family" of rescued animals? Some applicants have to support actual children, which I guarantee is more time-consuming and expensive. If your best friend died before the test, why did you not just cancel? That seems to show a major error in judgment.

Really, this addendum just confuses me more than anything. I think you need to start completely over.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:18 pm

He must mean raw score w/r/t the 54 point raise.

The story isn't pathetic, but the syntax is pretty ineloquent.

Also, why June and not Feb? Schools might be more open to a Feb re-take.

EDIT: Just realized something. If your score STILL sucks, why even let them know that it was a huge improvement for you? They might think you've maxed out.

EDIT AGAIN: A 54 point raw score raise is still ridiculous in this case, especially if your LSAT score still doesn't merit being looked at. Unless this is a Harvard application, which I doubt. If you started out with a 20 raw score (about a 125, and the 0.5th pecentile) that kind of raise would still land you at a 163.
Last edited by cubswin on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:20 pm

Well if it's raw score... that's just stupid. Adcomms don't care about raw scores; that doesn't tell them anything. All about the percentiles, baby. Just use actual LSAT scores. "54 points higher" doesn't sound more impressive, it just sounds confusing.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Are you trying to get a law school to admit you in anticipation of a higher June LSAT score? By then, your LSAT score wouldn't matter; they would have already had to admit you, so your old LSAT would be the one they had to report in their admitted students profile. Unless they are willing to hold off on reviewing your application for a very very long time. I think you're going to end up having to take a year off if your determined to retake the LSAT.

As for the addendum, I honestly don't think that the adcomm is going to look favorably on caring for animals. Lots of people have pets, and do well on the LSAT. It's not immediately apparent why animals should take up so much time as to be a factor in your LSAT, and this addendum doesn't explain that. It should, if this is really the reasoning behind it.

Also, I would drop the part where you say "this isn't an excuse," since it is explicitly an excuse. Moreover, you follow that statement with the assertion that your circumstances are just the "events of life" (paraphrasing), therein undermining the addendum entirely. If you admit that your circumstances were typical, than you negate the whole purpose of this thing.

That's my two cents.

livitup11

Postby livitup11 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:26 pm

I thought I had missed something, but I guess not considering everyone else seems confused, too.

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:43 pm

Not to sound mean but yes, the statements read as childish. On both rhetorical and substantive levels. If you do include an addendum only include the bit about your friend passing away, but I'd even shy away from that. If you're really unhappy with your score and honestly think you can do better (in other words, are getting a score that is abvoe what you want to achieve in practice tests), it might make sense to see how this cycle goes and reapply next year if you don't get into a school you'd be happy at.

Do NOT send that addendum. It will only hurt your application.

daizee

Postby daizee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:53 pm

Really, this addendum just confuses me more than anything. I think you need to start completely over.[/quote]

I did...thank you!
Last edited by daizee on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daizee

Postby daizee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 pm

The story isn't pathetic, but the syntax is pretty ineloquent.

THANK YOU!!!! This is quite helpful!

daizee

Postby daizee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:56 pm

drsomebody wrote:Not to sound mean but yes, the statements read as childish. On both rhetorical and substantive levels. If you do include an addendum only include the bit about your friend passing away, but I'd even shy away from that. If you're really unhappy with your score and honestly think you can do better (in other words, are getting a score that is abvoe what you want to achieve in practice tests), it might make sense to see how this cycle goes and reapply next year if you don't get into a school you'd be happy at.

Do NOT send that addendum. It will only hurt your application.

THIS IS THE STUFF I WANTED TO HEAR...Thank you! I'll spare the details...This year just may not be the year.....

daizee

Postby daizee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:01 pm

[quote="DanInALionsDen"]Are you trying to get a law school to admit you in anticipation of a higher June LSAT score? By then, your LSAT score wouldn't matter; they would have already had to admit you, so your old LSAT would be the one they had to report in their admitted students profile. Unless they are willing to hold off on reviewing your application for a very very long time. I think you're going to end up having to take a year off if your determined to retake the LSAT.

Your 2 cents is much more valuable than a few pennies! You are all correct. I needed the feedback because you guys are all that I have…LOVE YA!!!!

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Flame?

daizee

Postby daizee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:13 pm

huh?

daizee

Postby daizee » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Flame?

oh, duh...no silly! :mrgreen:

geostuck

Postby geostuck » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:36 am

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Flame?

Totally. I thought is was clear.

daizee

Postby daizee » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:31 pm

EDIT: Just realized something. If your score STILL sucks, why even let them know that it was a huge improvement for you? They might think you've maxed out.

VERY GOOD POINT!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”