Quick Question

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
acegeorgia

Quick Question

Postby acegeorgia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Problem resolved.. thanks ~
Last edited by acegeorgia on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanInALionsDen

Re: Should I lie or tell the truth?!?!

Postby DanInALionsDen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:34 pm

Isn't the real issue here that you took the LSAT four times?

acegeorgia

Postby acegeorgia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:35 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:Isn't the real issue here that you took the LSAT four times?

explain why that is an issue

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:40 pm

acegeorgia wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:Isn't the real issue here that you took the LSAT four times?

It's probably an issue because they school will look at your dedication to preparation for the exam. One of the questions I'm surprised they hadn't asked is why you deem it fitting to wait until you were properly prepared for the test instead of just taking it every time it came available. If I were you, I would just be honest and write a statement telling them that you felt that you could do much better after each examination and decided to retake it. The good thing is that you have a progressive increase in score, the bad is that the school may see it as a lack of commitment to studying properly. Just answer the question honestly and hope for the best.

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:48 pm

acegeorgia wrote:

I believe there's something with LSAC that states you can only take the LSAT 3 times in a given period of time BUT with a letter to LSAC from a school on your behalf, you can take it a 4th time. Actually, how were you able to take the test a 4th time?

But to answer your question...I would tell the truth with explanations to make it sound less negative than "I just studied harder this time". Is the truth, you weren't able to focus as much time into the LSAT the first 3 times because of _____? Whatever the case, hats off to you for not giving up and getting a respectable score.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:52 pm

According to your OP, you studied harder for the December. Just say that.

deevilsih

Postby deevilsih » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:38 pm

The truth is always better - especially on law school applications :)

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 pm

To tell the truth is not necessarily the best decision.

if I were you, I wouldn't tell the truth, but wouldn't lie either. There is always a middle ground that isn't technically the initial cause, but it's still not a lie.

In any case, I think saying something like: I'm a slacker, is not worth it. In fact, I would rather lie in this situation.

Make up a nice excuse that shows your commitment to achieving your goal score, not the lazy/indifferent side of you, or your poor judgment.

Dick Whitman

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:50 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:According to your OP, you studied harder for the December. Just say that.

TITCR and all my addendum consisted of.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:01 pm

TonyDigital wrote:
acegeorgia wrote:

I believe there's something with LSAC that states you can only take the LSAT 3 times in a given period of time BUT with a letter to LSAC from a school on your behalf, you can take it a 4th time. Actually, how were you able to take the test a 4th time?

But to answer your question...I would tell the truth with explanations to make it sound less negative than "I just studied harder this time". Is the truth, you weren't able to focus as much time into the LSAT the first 3 times because of _____? Whatever the case, hats off to you for not giving up and getting a respectable score.

Her first test was in '07... hence out of 2 year period.

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:02 pm

rx3r wrote:
TonyDigital wrote:
acegeorgia wrote:

Her first test was in '07... hence out of 2 year period.

Ahhh... Didn't remember the time period limit. Thanks.

daizee

Postby daizee » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 pm

sounds like you took the LSAT seriously, studied hard, understood the repercussions of a bad score and succeeded...Gosh, congrats! :mrgreen:

alohashoyu

Postby alohashoyu » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:40 am

Are you bad with standardized tests? If you can prove this (i.e. back it up with SAT or ACT scores) schools are more lenient. If so, I think that they could look at your points increase as showing dedication, in that you kept at it until you got a score you were mostly satisfied with. I absolutely DO NOT think you should say that you weren't prepared... I think that would only excuse it up until the second score. This is a hard one, but like I said, if you didn't do well on your ACTs or SATs and feel comfortable sending the scores in, that can be a good indicator that you don't handle standardized tests well. Good luck!

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:43 am

ivey says no addendum. Don't write one.

nuseph

Postby nuseph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:50 am

Tell the truth, though try not to sound like you were just putzing around on the others--you got a better idea of how the test worked, you had a better preparation strategy, whatever. Depending on the school, they may average the scores, but--for reporting purposes, they only care about your highest one. Fortunately, it kept going up.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:42 am

avacado111 wrote:ivey says no addendum. Don't write one.

LOL

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”