Question regarding general info in PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Question regarding general info in PS

Postby Potential » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Hello all,

After much trial/error and much editing, I have come to what I feel is a completed PS.

Unfortunately, as I'm applying right now, I'm finding that many law schools provide an option for me to attach a separate document, one for explaining a possible low GPA or weakness, and one for describing some unique positive attribute about yourself (such as a job held etc.).

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have placed all these in my PS.

So now I'm a bit worried. I have read examples of PSs here and gotten a feel of what I need to write, but I'm hoping it would be ok if the items listed above are included with it.

Thanks all, and I hope this nightmare is over with soon, for me and for you all!

Re: Question regarding general info in PS

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:12 pm

It is not a good idea to talk about a low GPA in your PS.

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Oh yeah, definitely never talk about your GPA (and especially not a reason for GPA weakness) in the personal statement. That is what an addendum is for. They have your transcript so they see everything about your classes and grades. They also have your resume. So don't rehash or explain things from either. The PS is your one chance to show something to them that goes beyond what is on those documents. Take advantage of that opportunity.

Postby jjones73 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Ya, anything that referst to GPA, LSAT retakes, etc should be in an addendum. Might want to cut some stuff out of the personal statement.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”