Please Read Me, please... Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Lsat101

New

Please Read Me, please...

Post by Lsat101 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:12 pm

I.
Last edited by Lsat101 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhyBother?

Bronze

Re: Please Read Me, please...

Post by WhyBother? » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:15 pm

I think you can keep the same overall feel, but conclude with something stronger about how you are now independent and although we all have influences, you have matured enough to make the decision on your own. Obviously no one is totally independent of their outside influences, but reading this made me wonder if you could even make your own decisions. No offense- I just tried to read it in the most critical way that an ad com might.

Lsat101

New

Post by Lsat101 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:21 pm

No offense taken, I think you're on to something there and I'll use that for sure.

WhyBother?

Bronze

Post by WhyBother? » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:26 pm

I like the part about you branching on your own- perhaps expand on and conclude with that?

athena

New

Post by athena » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 am

Hmm..I m the youngest..i became independent..my dad is lawyer..hmm..i dont see any convincing reason to why law school would be a good investment of time in this story..I think you should focus more on how the program and remove all these factors about being the youngest....Good luck

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:52 am

athena wrote:Hmm..I m the youngest..i became independent..my dad is lawyer..hmm..i dont see any convincing reason to why law school would be a good investment of time in this story..I think you should focus more on how the program and remove all these factors about being the youngest....Good luck
This. The PS is your opportunity to really tell the adcomms about yourself, as if you had the opportunity for an actual interview. While the personal statement you have posted is well written and surely demonstrates some of the reasons that set you apart as an applicant, it spends too much time on people other than you. Your siblings, your father. In an interview, the interviewer wants to know about YOU. Condense the rest of your PS and expand on why it makes you who you are and how it has enabled you to have the desire/ability to succeed in law school/the legal field.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”