Writing my own LOR, hows this?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawschooler

Writing my own LOR, hows this?

Postby lawschooler » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:58 pm

[Deleted]
Blah.
I shall take your advice Desert fox. Thank you.
Last edited by lawschooler on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lantern

Re: Writing my own LOR, hows this?

Postby the lantern » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:00 pm

In my opinion, it is pretty poorly written (phrases like "she was just about to..." seem out of place in a professional recommendation) and it sounds exactly like you wrote it for yourself. But then again, my recommenders didn't let me see mine, so I guess I have no idea what a real recommendation should be like (although I know if I wrote my own it would not be like this one).

lawschooler

Postby lawschooler » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:05 pm

the lantern wrote:In my opinion, it is pretty poorly written (phrases like "she was just about to..." seem out of place in a professional recommendation) and it sounds exactly like you wrote it for yourself. But then again, my recommenders didn't let me see mine, so I guess I have no idea what a real recommendation should be like (although I know if I wrote my own it would not be like this one).

You are right, its a complete rough. I also do not know how a recommendation should look like. The problem is my recommender is taking way to long to give me a recommendation (over 2 months). I figured if I wrote my own she could just sign it and fax it in. Its very frustrating dealing with this. Any how, I will change the informal usages. Thank you for that.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Have someone else write a letter for you. A friend or something. Then edit it. It will be more authentic that way.

I'd also delete the post just in case anyone tries to report you, as I'm not sure if writing a your own letter is ethical.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:11 pm

I realize your situation is difficult, but I think writing your own recommendation is unethical. Period. Especially if you go and check the box to waive your right afterwards (not saying you would, but what's stopping you?).

I also think that an AdComm would be able to tell the different between a professor's writing and yours. I mean no offense - I'd say the same thing about myself. In the end, I think you're putting yourself in a precarious situation.

lawschooler

Postby lawschooler » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:I realize your situation is difficult, but I think writing your own recommendation is unethical. Period. Especially if you go and check the box to waive your right afterwards (not saying you would, but what's stopping you?).

I also think that an AdComm would be able to tell the different between a professor's writing and yours. I mean no offense - I'd say the same thing about myself. In the end, I think you're putting yourself in a precarious situation.

Yes, You are all right. Its just so frustrating to deal with such recommenders. After I have repeatedly asked and basically begged her and other people to write me one. All I need is one more recommendation. I just felt that maybe this will get her attention bc I really really need this! But you all are right. I'm going to have to find a way to get her to just send one in! AHH

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:I realize your situation is difficult, but I think writing your own recommendation is unethical. Period. Especially if you go and check the box to waive your right afterwards (not saying you would, but what's stopping you?).

It is not uncommon to write one's own performance reviews or letters of recommendation. I do not think it is unethical if your recommender asks you to. In this case, however, law schools have asked that these letters be drafted by the recommender, and so I would be wary of writing my own.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”