Trying to go final!! Desperate schmuck needs some love TLS!!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dlee975

Trying to go final!! Desperate schmuck needs some love TLS!!

Postby dlee975 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks to everyone who took the time to look and comment on my DS. I'm going final hopefully today, at the latest tomorrow!! Wish me luck and good luck to all of you guys too!

At the age of thirteen, the time had come for me to become a man. “You have to stay home and take care of your mother,” my father told me. “What about school?” I asked my father. His response came while fighting back emotion, “I know you will be fine.” My father always told me that America could offer every opportunity that I desired. However, the situation I now found myself in seemed counter-intuitive to the truth of that statement. But through these events of my life I have been able to establish my identity and shape who I am today.

From the beginning, the environment that I grew up in caused many questions in my mind regarding my identity. Knowing very little of my cultural heritage at such a young age and being born in America, in my mind I was just like everyone else. But growing up in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s in the rural town of Auburn, GA made my differences quite apparent. Inquisitive stares and frequent demands for our family to return to where we had come from became daily occurrences. When other children overheard me speaking to my parents in Korean they would snicker and poke fun at the way the language sounded to them. Rather than embrace the fact that I could speak two languages, I would become embarrassed and even frustrated at my parents inability to speak the English language. Similar experiences would not escape me even throughout my high school and college years. But, looking back, I realize that these situations were important steps in my personal maturation.

Despite the ridicule and lack of understanding by many members of society, my parents maintained a firm belief that America was indeed the land of opportunity. For as long as I can remember, my parents impressed on my mind that no goal was out of reach in America as long as I was willing to persevere. This lesson was relayed not only in words but by their deeds as well. I watched as my mother worked the graveyard shift tirelessly at the hospital. My father worked any job he could find, day or night. He worked mostly in restaurant settings and gleaned quite a bit of experience. Eventually, my parents saved enough money and opened a little meat-and-three restaurant in downtown Atlanta. From an early age, these lessons of perseverance and hard work were permanently inscribed in my memory. Practical applications of these lessons were learned as I spent my summers working with two of the most determined individuals in America.

After ten years of successful restaurant operation, my mother grew ill and my parents were forced to sell the business. I withdrew from school to take care of my mother. In order to continue with my education, I enrolled in correspondence courses and relied on my mother to help me with most of my school work. Unfortunately, because of the language barrier, the assistance I received was limited and I became responsible for most of my own education.

The absence of a teacher during these critical years of school created a void in my fundamental education. However, I worked diligently, and even though it took me a little bit longer, I prepared myself to re-enter a more structured educational environment as a junior in high school, one year behind schedule. Although re-entry was challenging, my five years of self-education taught me invaluable lessons in motivation and discipline. Doubling my efforts, I tackled the courses and graduated with honors. Throughout college and the years leading up to now, these lessons serve as a guide and continue to give me confidence to face life’s challenges.

Looking back at my parents achievements, I take great pride of the heritage that fueled their desire to seek a better life in the US. Now, as an owner/operator of the Inoko Japanese Steakhouse in Athens, with a daughter in attendance at an elementary school with a less than 4% Asian population, it seems life has come full circle. I have never forgotten the lessons my parents taught me as a young child, and I continue to take advantage of the opportunities life presents to me. If admitted to the University of Georgia School of Law, my personal, as well as my working experiences will provide a unique facet to the diversity of the classroom. As I prepare myself to tackle the challenges of law school, my hope is to instill in my daughter the same assurance my father gave me: America is still the land of limitless opportunity.
Last edited by dlee975 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlee975

Re: This is it! Going final please some final input on my DS??

Postby dlee975 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Bueller? Bueller?

dlee975

Re: Trying to go final!! Desperate schmuck needs some love TLS!!

Postby dlee975 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:12 pm

:cry:

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”