Why UVA

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
sternc

Why UVA

Postby sternc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Its a reach school and I heard they like these (at least will read them). What do you think?

I lived in Richmond from nine until twelve. In retrospect, that is not a very long time at all. Yet, during those three years I developed a real appreciation and profound interest in Mr. Thomas Jefferson, his state, and his school. Even though I moved away, I maintained strong ties with the state and have always wanted to return.

As my appreciation for Virginia and its finest university has matured over the years, I have grown to appreciate UVA's "academical village" and its law school for more than just the things I initially loved about the state. More specifically, I am very interested in Virginia Law's emphasis on the study of American legal and constitutional history. The numerous courses, clinics, and seminars, specifically those concentrating on the First Amendment and its modern application and guarantees, are a major factor in my desire to attend Virginia Law.

I understand that plans going into law school often change as time goes by, but at this point I am interested in the J.D.-M.A. program. The challenge and excitement of simultaneously earning my J.D. and M.A. would ensure that I get the most possible out of my three years, leaving me with countless options upon graduation. I understand that other law schools offer programs focused on legal history and constitutional law, but none of them have the resources, reputation, or preexisting relationship that I have with Virginia.

tram988

Re: Why UVA

Postby tram988 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Not a big fan...I'd rewrite

sternc

Postby sternc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:40 pm

Anyone? If its not good let me know and if you could give me some tips, I'd appreciate it.

sternc

Postby sternc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:01 pm

bump

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 pm

I dont know, its not good, its not bad. Talking about their resources and reputation is mute, they know they are awesome. Honestly I would not recommend writing a Why UVA essay, just make your personal statement as good as can be and you will be better off.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:07 pm

I'd focus more on UVA. Most of what you write could be applied to W&M, W&L or GMU. Also, I'm always wary of referring to the old dominion as a state.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”