Sending in a Personal Statement that is over word/page limit

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
nycparalegal

Re: Sending in a Personal Statement that is over word/page limit

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:16 pm

Arrogance displayed
The OP is not concise
Adcoms will not like

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:18 pm

fl0w wrote:Trimming excess wording is a skill. A bloated essay evidences lack of that skill. While your experience is important to you, which I'm sure all personal statement writers can relate to, the ability to concisely express important ideas is something else that law schools are interested in.

but hey, OP, if you don't like the advice you are getting it seems like you've already made your decision. I mean if you aren't going to trim it, you may as well make it longer.

Don't be sarcastic. Everyone knows the length of your PS directly corresponds to intelligence.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 pm

fl0w wrote:Trimming excess wording is a skill. A bloated essay evidences lack of that skill. While your experience is important to you, which I'm sure all personal statement writers can relate to, the ability to concisely express important ideas is something else that law schools are interested in.

but hey, OP, if you don't like the advice you are getting it seems like you've already made your decision. I mean if you aren't going to trim it, you may as well make it longer.

Trimming excess words
defeats the bloated essay.
Admissions rejoice!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 pm

this thread is going to turn into haiku timez!!!

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:21 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I have reason to believe that I was quite possibly rejected from GW last year because I failed to comply with the 500 word limit despite numbers exceeding both medians.

I failed to notice that there was a word limit until it was too late (I really wasn't paying that close of attention). In a nutshell, word limits are there for a reason. If you can't follow something as simple as a word limit, how in the hell are you going to be able to pay attention to all the rules of law (especially when it comes to filing a claim or complaint on down the road).

Sorry to tell you this but it wasn't because you went over the word limit that you were rejected. I called GW and they told me as long as it's under two pages they are fine if we go over the 500 word limit.

Unless of course they were lying to me.

I suspect you are correct. I also applied on the deadline.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
I suspect you are correct. I also applied on the deadline.

Me thinks that is the reason.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:40 pm

jayzon wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Summarize your life in a haiku, then I shall be convinced that you are a good writer.

He's lived real shit, but
can't explain it with few words
therefore, Lincoln's lame

No seasonal reference, auto ding.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Don't go over the limit. They're not going to count words, but they will be annoyed if it's obvious. Annoyed adcomms are unlikely to be generous.

Also, that's annoying about GWU. I spent a lot of time paring down my PS by half a page specially for a safety scholarship school for nothing.

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:49 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:I have reason to believe that I was quite possibly rejected from GW last year because I failed to comply with the 500 word limit despite numbers exceeding both medians.

I failed to notice that there was a word limit until it was too late (I really wasn't paying that close of attention). In a nutshell, word limits are there for a reason. If you can't follow something as simple as a word limit, how in the hell are you going to be able to pay attention to all the rules of law (especially when it comes to filing a claim or complaint on down the road).

Sorry to tell you this but it wasn't because you went over the word limit that you were rejected. I called GW and they told me as long as it's under two pages they are fine if we go over the 500 word limit.

Unless of course they were lying to me.

+1

My PS was over the limit for GW. They say keep it to 500, but after talking to admissions they really mean no more than two pages double spaced. I kept it under two pages but had to use 11.5 font. I got in ED with the full ride and the PS was 685.

Edit: I just saw the bit about applying on the deadline. That might definitely do it.

scjacobs

Postby scjacobs » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:06 am

do you think messing with margins and font size might also upset the powers that be?? I'm debating sending in a PS that's like, 7 lines over two pages or getting funky to make it work on two. Which is worse do you think?

also, im dying to read that dudes almighty essay regarding top secret information.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:23 am

scjacobs wrote:do you think messing with margins and font size might also upset the powers that be?? I'm debating sending in a PS that's like, 7 lines over two pages or getting funky to make it work on two. Which is worse do you think?

Just find a way to cut seven lines.

They read thousands of essays in a relatively short amount of time. Anything you do (especially margins/font) is going to be incredibly noticeable and make you look scrubby.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:37 am

The first draft of my PS was 4,833 words. I trimmed it down to 1,700, to 1,400, all the way down to 678. Trust me, everyone prefers my 678 version to my 4,833 version. Personally, I liked the longer version better, but I was ripped an ass for it, and even though I feel less confident about the short version, everyone likes it better.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”