Pepperdine 1L hates life -can any 2Ls help? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
1ferret!

Bronze

Re: Pepperdine 1L hates life -can any 2Ls help?

Post by 1ferret! » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:17 am

"If you don't want a large body of students who think the world is 6000 years old or that George Bush invaded Iraq because God told him to, you're going to the wrong school."

Wow, and you accuse other people of stupidity and intolerance? Wow.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Ythunder wrote:"Hates" is too strong a word but it seemed strangely appropriate. I can't stand Pepperdine would be more on point. I'm already trying to see just how much studying abroad you can get away with doing.

I like classes, even homework and tests but I feel like an alien. I have a few conservative friends who are completely amazing but I feel like most of the students are very judgmental. I'm bothered by everyone being so similar and no one talking about the few differences that are there. I come from a place where people are different colors, have different life philosophies and don't talk nonsense about how my they helped Africa in the 10 days that they spent there -$6k later; I bet Africa would have been better off if you sent a check and stayed home. It's okay to do things just because you want the experience and got the opportunity -just tell it like it is.

Is there some sort of guidance counselor I can talk to about transferring? Does anybody else want to start a liberal support group or just a group that acknowledges differences in a constructive way? Did any of you feel this way last year? Does it get better? Am I doing something wrong? Am I just too different to have a good time? All the 2 and 3 Ls look like they love the school. Is that because people like me transfer or because you did something amazing over the summer? Any advice?
1L year is like middle school - life gets easier when you finish it. Just gut it out, and then 2L year you'll have the time and the comfort with law school to make non-law friends and spend time outside of the school environment.

EntertainLaw

New

Post by EntertainLaw » Mon May 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Do you really dislike the environment at Pepperdine that much? I just got my letter of acceptance, and am leaning heavily towards attending Pepperdine for many reasons, but the religious / conservative environment is not one of them. I was raised Jewish and have been exposed to many different religions and world / political views in my life, and I consider myself a very open and tolerant person. I have not visited campus yet, but thought that I would be able to look past the religious / conservative environment in order to reap the other benefits that Pepperdine has to offer. Your post is making me think otherwise. Can anybody shed light on this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”