Pepperdine 1L hates life -can any 2Ls help? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Ythunder

New

Pepperdine 1L hates life -can any 2Ls help?

Post by Ythunder » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:23 pm

"Hates" is too strong a word but it seemed strangely appropriate. I can't stand Pepperdine would be more on point. I'm already trying to see just how much studying abroad you can get away with doing.

I like classes, even homework and tests but I feel like an alien. I have a few conservative friends who are completely amazing but I feel like most of the students are very judgmental. I'm bothered by everyone being so similar and no one talking about the few differences that are there. I come from a place where people are different colors, have different life philosophies and don't talk nonsense about how my they helped Africa in the 10 days that they spent there -$6k later; I bet Africa would have been better off if you sent a check and stayed home. It's okay to do things just because you want the experience and got the opportunity -just tell it like it is.

Is there some sort of guidance counselor I can talk to about transferring? Does anybody else want to start a liberal support group or just a group that acknowledges differences in a constructive way? Did any of you feel this way last year? Does it get better? Am I doing something wrong? Am I just too different to have a good time? All the 2 and 3 Ls look like they love the school. Is that because people like me transfer or because you did something amazing over the summer? Any advice?

MTal

Silver

Re: Pepperdine 1L hates life -can any 2Ls help?

Post by MTal » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:28 pm

You have more important things to worry about than the political views of your classmates.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Honestly, Ken Starr wasn't a dead giveaway?

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:52 pm

You should have gone to American

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Hard to combat the way you feel, but have you at all considered joining the ACS, APALSA, BLSA, WLSA, ACLU, DLSA, or any other student groups that are populated by people who you might get along with or be able to talk to you about these issues?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ythunder

New

Post by Ythunder » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:02 pm

1ferret! wrote:Hard to combat the way you feel, but have you at all considered joining the ACS, APALSA, BLSA, WLSA, ACLU, DLSA, or any other student groups that are populated by people who you might get along with or be able to talk to you about these issues?
I am in a few groups -we haven't done very much yet... Here's hoping!

Tinajav

New

Post by Tinajav » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:13 pm

I havent been on this site since I submitted my application... and the one day I come on out of boredom (or procrastination), I see a post from a fellow pepperdine 1L! lol I kind of felt the same you did in the beginning but as Ive gotten to know people better Ive started liking the environment more. What section are you in?

Ythunder

New

Post by Ythunder » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:17 am

Tinajav wrote:I havent been on this site since I submitted my application... and the one day I come on out of boredom (or procrastination), I see a post from a fellow pepperdine 1L! lol I kind of felt the same you did in the beginning but as Ive gotten to know people better Ive started liking the environment more. What section are you in?

Oh good! -It's not just me and there's hope! I'm in B. You?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:25 am

Are you sure the problem isn't you? The conservatives I've met are very easy to get along with, as long as you don't like talking about differences and color and shit like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:37 am

Just do well and transfer - getting a job from Pepperdine will be tough as hell anyway, and f Ken Starr.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:39 am

rayiner wrote:Are you sure the problem isn't you? The conservatives I've met are very easy to get along with, as long as you don't like talking about differences and color and shit like that.
I think the "Pepperdine" breed of conservative is a different animal from mainstream conservatives. Many of these people are hard core right-wingers. Like, the kind who frown at you and shake their heads in confusion when you talk about your Sunday morning adventure that did not involve church.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:47 am

Ythunder wrote:"Hates" is too strong a word but it seemed strangely appropriate. I can't stand Pepperdine would be more on point. I'm already trying to see just how much studying abroad you can get away with doing.

I like classes, even homework and tests but I feel like an alien. I have a few conservative friends who are completely amazing but I feel like most of the students are very judgmental. I'm bothered by everyone being so similar and no one talking about the few differences that are there. I come from a place where people are different colors, have different life philosophies and don't talk nonsense about how my they helped Africa in the 10 days that they spent there -$6k later; I bet Africa would have been better off if you sent a check and stayed home. It's okay to do things just because you want the experience and got the opportunity -just tell it like it is.

Is there some sort of guidance counselor I can talk to about transferring? Does anybody else want to start a liberal support group or just a group that acknowledges differences in a constructive way? Did any of you feel this way last year? Does it get better? Am I doing something wrong? Am I just too different to have a good time? All the 2 and 3 Ls look like they love the school. Is that because people like me transfer or because you did something amazing over the summer? Any advice?
Those people bug me too. Just work your butt off and try to transfer.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:59 am

Try to transfer to USD or Santa Clara

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:00 am

OP,

Pepperdine is a notoriously conservative law school. Did you not do your homework on the place before you decided to attend? It seems as if you are surprised by the political bent of the school, when I could have told you Pepperdine has that kind of reputation.

Anyways, my sympathies that you cant stand your classmates, I am very fearful of this and would never consider a school where this would be a possibility.

Ythunder

New

Post by Ythunder » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:02 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:OP,

Pepperdine is a notoriously conservative law school. Did you not do your homework on the place before you decided to attend? It seems as if you are surprised by the political bent of the school, when I could have told you Pepperdine has that kind of reputation.

Anyways, my sympathies that you cant stand your classmates, I am very fearful of this and would never consider a school where this would be a possibility.
I did do my homework. I don't need to be part of a majority -which is part of why I thought I could handle a conservative school. As a member of an academic institution, I have never felt like part of a majority and that has been fine for me. It's a natural consequence of not belonging to a group -I'm not white, black, wealthy, poor, religious or an atheist. Where would I go to fit it? Some of the sweetest people I have met here are also the most conservative. I'm not strictly opposed to crossing party and religious lines.

There's an important difference between me and Rayiner though that I think play a role in my frustration. I do like to talk about differences. Pepperdine is a place where classes, professors and especially the student body doesn't go down certain relevant allies of the law. I didn't expect that and it feels very wrong to pretend that we live in a Malibu bubble independent from the world. :cry:

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:36 pm

Ythunder wrote:I'm not white, black, wealthy, poor, religious or an atheist. Where would I go to fit it? :
New York

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:47 pm

No offense, but did you do any research at all before deciding on Pepperdine? I noticed that you got into similarly ranked schools in CA, why did you pass on them?

Look into clubs on campus or in the community that fit your interests, get friends outside of Pepperdine(if that's possible in Malibu-seems secluded), focus on your studies and not how annoying your classmates may be. If you really want to get out of there, bust your ass and hope you can transfer. However, you might have to take a ding in terms of prestige if you can't make it into a higher ranked school or similarly ranked schools such as USD, Loyola, SCU, etc.

Here's a link to that you might be interested in http://law.pepperdine.edu/student-life/groups/icc/aclu/.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tinajav

New

Post by Tinajav » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Ythunder wrote:
Tinajav wrote:I havent been on this site since I submitted my application... and the one day I come on out of boredom (or procrastination), I see a post from a fellow pepperdine 1L! lol I kind of felt the same you did in the beginning but as Ive gotten to know people better Ive started liking the environment more. What section are you in?

Oh good! -It's not just me and there's hope! I'm in B. You?

I'm in section C. Maybe the problem is your section lol all the people I'm becoming close friends with are in sections C and A, i dont really no many people in B lol :?

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Ythunder wrote:"Hates" is too strong a word but it seemed strangely appropriate. I can't stand Pepperdine would be more on point. I'm already trying to see just how much studying abroad you can get away with doing.

it's because they're right near the beach.

there are always tradeoffs. put up with it and go to the beach more. then you will be happy.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:34 am

come flame away, come flame away, come flame away with me.........

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:28 am

Don't think that is the case.
But I can't say I'm surprised to see you swing into this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:12 pm

ruleser wrote:Just do well and transfer - getting a job from Pepperdine will be tough as hell anyway, and f Ken Starr.
"I think the "Pepperdine" breed of conservative is a different animal from mainstream conservatives. Many of these people are hard core right-wingers. Like, the kind who frown at you and shake their heads in confusion when you talk about your Sunday morning adventure that did not involve church."

You're right, these are just objective helpful comments...

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:51 pm

I think "Hates" is too strong a word when your main gripe is your classes not discussing "political" or social issues. This is law school, you came here to learn about the LAW, and in civ pro for example your teachers gonna teach you everything he/she can, she can't take 15 or 20 minutes, of a 60 minute class to let everyone debate the social implications of a 12(b)(6) motion.

Although this is a matter of taste, so I understand your legitimate interest in that stuff. Personally, I hated listening to ppl in UG get on a soapbox and tell me why abortion is murder or everyone should get to abort fetuses all day long...your gonna find intelligent discussions in your clubs and in the forums and debates associations at the school put on, where people actively try to convince and persuade you (and have done some research), not tell you to agree w/ their point cuz their obviously right. Personally, I like the more focused nature of law school classes, not listening from someone from Texas tell me gun control is the Devil and its not murder to kill someone who walks on your property (no offense Texas).

You want diversity of experiences but mock people who did humanitarian work in 3rd world countries? I think thats inconsistent; in the absence of ethnic diversity what better way then international work and travel to bring new views and opinions to the school. And NO law school is as diverse as a UG, Law school's remain a (disproportionate) majority white in greater % than other fields, which I would expect you to know since as a URM you get special benefits to try to alleviate this, that fact that there aren't as many different colored people at your law school as at your UG is a fact of life presently, not some indignity that is unique to your situation.

Maybe ask if there are classes you can take in your 2L and 3L years that deal w/ more social issues (I'm sure such classes exist) but your probably not gonna get that your 1L year (where your expected to learn Torts, Contracts etc) or try to transfer to a more "urban" school like Loyola. If you search this site about transferring theres a large active yahoo group you'll be referred to, I forget the link though, but its on TLS; several groups exist and offer helpful advice, but I'll save you the time and say-bottom line is get good grades in order to transfer to a 'better' school.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:48 am

1ferret! wrote:
ruleser wrote:Just do well and transfer - getting a job from Pepperdine will be tough as hell anyway, and f Ken Starr.
"I think the "Pepperdine" breed of conservative is a different animal from mainstream conservatives. Many of these people are hard core right-wingers. Like, the kind who frown at you and shake their heads in confusion when you talk about your Sunday morning adventure that did not involve church."

You're right, these are just objective helpful comments...
You'll see the same thing at BYU or Regents. Not going to sugar coat stupidity and intolerance. If you don't want a large body of students who think the world is 6000 years old or that George Bush invaded Iraq because God told him to, you're going to the wrong school.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:16 am

:shock:
Last edited by 1ferret! on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”