2011 UChicago Housing Thread Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
USCtrojan86

New

2011 UChicago Housing Thread

Post by USCtrojan86 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Here it is guys- let's talk about Hyde Park housing!

Any current/returning students care to weigh in? What worked for you all last year? What didn't? Any recommendations or reservations?

How about 0L's....where are you guys looking/committed right now? UofC on-campus housing? Regents apt complex? Some other off-campus complex? Living on the street?

Are people bringing cars? Should people be bringing cars? How about bikes?

How much of a benefit is it to be right on campus within walking distance of the law building/library instead of being a mile or so off campus and having to get a ride or take a bus to campus?

Any considerations that should be taken into account that I didn't think of?

Any input is much appreciated!

annon

New

Re: 2011 UChicago Housing Thread

Post by annon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:12 pm

USCtrojan86 wrote:Here it is guys- let's talk about Hyde Park housing!

Any current/returning students care to weigh in? What worked for you all last year? What didn't? Any recommendations or reservations?
I lived in Regents my 1L year and I'm moving up North next year. While I had some problems with Regents (internet speed, its a little overpriced for the area, and the leasing office sucks), I'm overall pleased with my decision to live here my first year. It was really nice being around so many of my classmates, and it made getting to know people a lot easier. In fact, I know many people who are going to be staying in Regents next year (and I know some people who will, and some who did, stay in Regents for all 3 years of law school).

I know some people lived in New Grad and liked it, but I can't imagine doing something like that. I could never live in a dorm ever again. But if you don't mind that... I suppose it can be ok. But this is really something I don't recommend. The convenience of being right next to the law school is grossly outweighed by living in a dorm.

I hear good stuff about the University owned apartments, especially their value for the price. But obviously there are clear differences between those kinds of buildings and a high rise like Regents. And finally, you can always just scan craigslist for other apartments in the area. One person I know did that and loves her apartment (and it is quite great) and will be there next year as well.
Are people bringing cars? Should people be bringing cars? How about bikes?
I didn't bring my car my 1L year, and don't really regret that decision, although I will be bringing a car next year since I'll be living up North. However, a few of my friends did bring cars this year, and it was useful at times (lesson: don't bring a car, but make sure you're friends with people who have a car).
How much of a benefit is it to be right on campus within walking distance of the law building/library instead of being a mile or so off campus and having to get a ride or take a bus to campus?
Its not really bad to take the bus from Regents to the Law school. The bus starts at Regents and ends at the law school, so its pretty convenient. And it only takes 15-20 minutes (depending on time of day). Sure, I imagine its more convenient to just walk a couple blocks to the law school, as those at New Grad do, but its definitely not worth the trade-offs IMO.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm going to be looking for a more townhouse-y apartment somewhere near Regents. Wait, does Regents have wood floors? That would change things for me, I need me some hardwood.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:14 pm

UVA Housing Thread>>>>>>UC Housing thread :P

annon

New

Post by annon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:20 pm

gmail wrote:I'm going to be looking for a more townhouse-y apartment somewhere near Regents. Wait, does Regents have wood floors? That would change things for me, I need me some hardwood.
Nope, no hardwood floors in Regents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

USCtrojan86

New

Post by USCtrojan86 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:28 pm

UVA Housing Thread>>>>>>UC Housing thread
d00d that's only because like half of the posters on this board are going to either UMich of UVA.

UofC is obviously a much more rarified, "intellectual" breed. You know...for rarified, intellectual people. 8)

And as long as the other two schools insist on letting in the unwashed masses so willy nilly, all I can say is - so much for their supposed "prestige"...*sticks up nose* *hrmph!*

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:30 pm

I am definitely a washed mass, but I agree that quality certainly trumps quantity.

USCtrojan86

New

Post by USCtrojan86 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:34 pm

A surprisingly insightful concession....coming from a soon to be UVA Law grad. :wink:

gguttman

New

Post by gguttman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:34 pm

1. Regent's (http://www.regentsparkchicago.com) is a 1,000 unit+ tower with the most Law students. If living on the same floor as other Law students is imperative, Regent's is your best option. Studios=$1,158, 1BRs=$1,338, 2BRs= $1,697. Law School students are offerred a discount, but you still pay 20% more than apartments in similar communities.

2. Algonquin (http://www.rentalgonquin.com) is directly accross the street from Regents. You share the same bus stop to school as those living at Regents. Algonquin has the nicest apartments (by far): stainless steel appliances, lots of granite..... Rates are $917 for Studios, $1160 for 1BR, $1,395 for 2BR. Many Law students live in this building, but more students live at Regents.

3. MAC (http://www.macapartments.com) owes 3,500 apartments on good blocks around campus. The website has a great advanced search feature so you can find something in your price range. Lot's of gems at MAC like large rooms, fire places, built-ins. But, the properties are in smaller walk-up buildings so you will not likely live next to a Law student.

4. Don't live south of the Midway (59th Street). It's a great real estate investment, but I won't sleep well at night if you're walking home from a late night lecture.

5. If you want the full Law School experience and a big network of friends, live in Hyde Park. Downtown is amazing for late night entertainment, but it's only 7 miles away. No one regrets living in Hyde Parl their first yeat of law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:35 pm

gguttman wrote:1. Regent's (http://www.regentsparkchicago.com) is a 1,000 unit+ tower with the most Law students. If living on the same floor as other Law students is imperative, Regent's is your best option. Studios=$1,158, 1BRs=$1,338, 2BRs= $1,697. Law School students are offerred a discount, but you still pay 20% more than apartments in similar communities.

2. Algonquin (http://www.rentalgonquin.com) is directly accross the street from Regents. You share the same bus stop to school as those living at Regents. Algonquin has the nicest apartments (by far): stainless steel appliances, lots of granite..... Rates are $917 for Studios, $1160 for 1BR, $1,395 for 2BR. Many Law students live in this building, but more students live at Regents.

3. MAC (http://www.macapartments.com) owes 3,500 apartments on good blocks around campus. The website has a great advanced search feature so you can find something in your price range. Lot's of gems at MAC like large rooms, fire places, built-ins. But, the properties are in smaller walk-up buildings so you will not likely live next to a Law student.

4. Don't live south of the Midway (59th Street). It's a great real estate investment, but I won't sleep well at night if you're walking home from a late night lecture.

5. If you want the full Law School experience and a big network of friends, live in Hyde Park. Downtown is amazing for late night entertainment, but it's only 7 miles away. No one regrets living in Hyde Parl their first yeat of law school.
Thanks for a great post! If you had to recommend one between the options you presented, which one would you say is the best place to live for 1L?

Sentry

Silver

Post by Sentry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:57 pm

Knock wrote:
gguttman wrote:1. Regent's (http://www.regentsparkchicago.com) is a 1,000 unit+ tower with the most Law students. If living on the same floor as other Law students is imperative, Regent's is your best option. Studios=$1,158, 1BRs=$1,338, 2BRs= $1,697. Law School students are offerred a discount, but you still pay 20% more than apartments in similar communities.

Thanks for a great post! If you had to recommend one between the options you presented, which one would you say is the best place to live for 1L?
That is a great post.

It's funny that this thread started before ITE...those poor bastards.

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm looking for pet friendly, affordable housing. I looked up dog friendly cab companies in Chicago so that I don't have to bring my car. I drove through Manhattan around xmas, and it the most terrifying experience of my life...

Lady Goo

New

Post by Lady Goo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:33 pm

I looked at MAC, Regents and Algonquin. Decided to go with Algonquin and am glad I did. You can't go wrong with any of those three but I chose Algonquin because the kitchen is MUCH better than the one at Regents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 pm

do you guys have an suggestions on furniture? are there any good thrift stores or department stores near hyde park?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Lady Goo wrote:I looked at MAC, Regents and Algonquin. Decided to go with Algonquin and am glad I did. You can't go wrong with any of those three but I chose Algonquin because the kitchen is MUCH better than the one at Regents.
Does it have a dishwasher? what about MAC and Regents?

gguttman

New

Post by gguttman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 am

I cannot think of any thrift stores in Hyde Park. But, the Futons-N-More on 53rd Street is a super cheap place to buy furniture. There's a second futon store on 53rd that I've never been to before, but they probably have student deals too.

UCLaw

New

Post by UCLaw » Mon May 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Hi all, I am a 1L at UChicago and have 2 rooms available in a conveniently located high rise condo if anyone is still looking for a place to live.

Please see link for more details, or feel free to message me.
http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/listing.php?id=205598

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”