IU - Indianapolis Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Eriro

New

Re: IU - Indianapolis Class of 2011

Post by Eriro » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:27 pm

Just fyi, I went to visit the school last Friday (first time I have gone inside). It is really nice! I don't know that the on-line tour does it justice! Anyway, I got a locker. It definitely doesn't look like they have 200 vacant lockers, so if you're going to be in town before orientation you might want to swing by. The receptionist (Therese - sp?) has a supply of "recycled" locks, so you can either bring your own or get one from her. Just stick a lock on a locker that doesn't have one, and give her your name, the locker number, and the combination number. The only drawback is that the lockers are very narrow and not that deep, and I'm not sure my laptop will fit. If you're in the market for a new laptop and you want to be able to store it in your locker, you might want to think "smaller is better." Let me know if you have any other questions! I am happy to check out areas of town and post pictures for all you out-of-towners!

Eriro

New

Post by Eriro » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:23 pm

all right kiddies, make sure you add yourselves to the TLS Class of 2011 list! http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=575
Also, I think I might start a Facebook group for us -- would there be much interest in that?

indiana_student

New

Post by indiana_student » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:10 pm

Phil1234 wrote:I was wondering if anyone can give me some info. I got a place north of campus; its west of MLK and south of 10th St. I was wondering how that area was. I've been told that certain parts of Indy were not great. Any input about that region would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I was in Indy for the holidays and ventured that way. If you are just south of 10th street and just west of MLK, you are in good shape. The lawns are well kept and the places look nice from the exterior.
Eriro wrote:Just fyi, I went to visit the school last Friday (first time I have gone inside). It is really nice! I don't know that the on-line tour does it justice!
The law school is very nice inside. An attorney at one of Indianapolis' big three once told me, "I felt like I should've taken my shoes off at the doors." For those of you who attend, be sure to say "thanks Lilly!!" You will quickly learn that in Indiana Lilly > God (just kidding, well, kind of). The Bloomington building-my stomping grounds for ugrad-also is fairly nice inside (not as nice).

beccalee

New

Post by beccalee » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:16 am

I just moved in this past week, I am living just south of 10th and West of MLK Jr. It's a pretty nice area actually, and my house is new with great neighbors..just 1/2 mile from the law school, the neighbors who have been living on my street for the past 12 years have said that generally, this particular area is safe. Just dont venture east of Meridian...I heard that Meridian is kind of the boundry line. I have gotten lost a few times east of meridian and the neighborhoods have been very rough looking with banners posted everywhere saying, " please stop the killings in our neighborhood".....since then I have purchased a GPS system and that has been a God send, I highly recommend purchasing one at Costco - for 129.00!

Phil1234

New

Post by Phil1234 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:59 pm

Eriro, indiana_student Thanks for the input! I got a place in that area and am looking forward to living in Indy.

Does anyone know when we get our class schedules? I'm also assuming the financial aid and/or loan money comes in right before school start, right? Besides the website, I haven't received any school literature or information packets. Other schools sent me an overwhelming amount of packets and forms to fill out for carpooling, finding roommates, joining clubs, etc. but Indy hasn't. I plan to call them today. Anyone else in the dark like I am?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AshDavis

New

Post by AshDavis » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:08 pm

Class schedules are already out. If you login to Onestart and click on "Go to Student Center" your schedule should pop up.

jjh0907

New

Post by jjh0907 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:32 pm

I went to Butler University in Indianapolis for my undergrad, so I know a little about housing in the Indianapolis area. The closer you get to the school, the more expensive housing is going to get. If you are willing to commute about 10 minutes the Butler-Tarkington area along with Broad Ripple are two places to check out. Butler-Tarkington has a lot of houses that fit 3-6 people and are priced anywhere from 200-600 a month.

Broad Ripple is a little pricier, but it is located near the college bar scene and a may be considered a little more upscale.

I would consider both safe areas and worth commuting from.

rich1979

New

Post by rich1979 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:34 pm

does anyone know whether it is worth it to buy the E permit to park in the permit parking lot next to the school or if street parking is readily available? I understand that the E permit is $65 per semester and is going on sale 7/15 online.

also, if anyone has considered the medical insurance through aetna student health which is voluntary or other alternatives. aetna.studenthealth.com

thanks

AshDavis

New

Post by AshDavis » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:29 am

Unless you live on campus, Lockefield, Canal Square or some house within walking distance invest in a parking pass. Parking will be a B**** the first two weeks, but then students will start to withdraw and it'll get a little better.
If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to help. I went to IU-Bloomington for a year and a half then transferred to IUPUI. Graduated from there this last semester. I grew up on the Southside of Indy and I've lived Downtown, Broad Ripple, and the West Side of Indy (not recommended) since I transferred schools. I like to move. If I can be of any help, feel free to ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eriro

New

Post by Eriro » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:56 pm

You're going to need a parking pass. I don't consider $65/semester to be an investment. It's just part of the cost of your education. At my current school, parking is a minimum of $35/mo., and that is for a lot that is about an 8 min. walk to our building.

Also, living in the Butler-Tarkington or Broad Ripple area is perfectly doable. Some areas of Rocky Ripple are decent, too, and the southside of town is getting cleaned up a lot, especially near the Fountain Square area.

As for all the info, when I toured the school this summer I asked about orientation materials and whatnot. The woman in the admissions office just said that they were coming out later. Make sure that you e-mail the law school if you change your e-mail address or mailing address or anything, b/c I guess they don't get information from OneStart.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”