Santa Clara University Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
sjk

Bronze

Re: Santa Clara University Class of 2011

Post by sjk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:40 pm

Well if you dont live in the area then you dont know that gas in CA is ASTRONOMICAL! Its WAY higher than the national average. I saw on CNN this morning that America is "flirting" with $4 gas, but here in the Bay Area, the average is around $4.50 a gallon.
I also think this is an area you want to have a car, which is unlike the city, were public transportation is great.

Santa Clara is right near Caltrain, and I'm sure there are buses that go there, although I'm not a huge fan of the bus system here.

I commute 25 minutes or so, but there are places that are 10-15 minutes away.
Craigslist is a pretty good representation of the area.
This looks like something you would typically find:
--LinkRemoved--

Also, a good resource is to look up local property management companies then look to see what listings they have available. Sometimes they list them on their website but not on craigslist.
This was an old property management company of mine that actually was pretty negotiable. He showed us an apartment that was on CL but we didnt like it and so he showed us some other places that werent listed. We picked a place that let us have dogs, even though the ad didnt say that.
http://www.calwestern.com/vacancies.php

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Also here is a link to the area. Its a San Jose neighborhood map but Santa Clara University is clearly marked on it, so you can see the locations relative to the school.
http://neighborhoods.realtor.com/San-jose/2310/Metro

ladeedaaaa1111

New

Post by ladeedaaaa1111 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to Top Law Schools.com. I am excited about joining you guys this fall at Santa Clara Law. Did that calswim guy get booted because he wasn't saying nice things? Also, anyone here doing litigation law?

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Wow, thanks for the info sjkarlina.
I'll check out the property management places later tonight when I have more time.
The yeah gas in California is crazy these days. I'm living with my parents in Hawaii for the summer and gas on my island is about the same. Just filled up @ $4.48/gal.

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:13 am

I actually went to UC Berkeley for UG and am attending SCU in the fall. but i guess I am an engineer. I didn't get into Boalt or Stanford and didn't want to go outside California, so SCU it is.

thanks for the good links sjkarlina

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

francobobfranco

New

Post by francobobfranco » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:31 am

I mean Hastings is an option too, but Santa Clara is great for IP.

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:14 am

yeah i actually got into hastings/davis... it was a hard decision. i basically felt that i had at least an 80% chance of going into IP and I think SCU is better than hastings in that arena.

francobobfranco

New

Post by francobobfranco » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:44 am

not to mention the beautiful scholarship you got from Santa Clara.

niners49

New

Post by niners49 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:41 pm

i wish i had read all of this garbage earlier and stood up when it counted.

there is nothing wrong with going to a csu. nowadays, where you did your ug matters very little, unless you go to an ivy. the fact that you still parade around your ug speaks volumes on your immaturity, but little on your intelligence. it might make for great banter during your family get togethers, but will matter very little when you are actually in law school. good luck to you if that is your mindset.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:42 pm

i'll be living alone.
Last edited by valrp on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:36 pm

Does anyone know when the school is going to send out the next round of information? I thought they said something would be mailed out in late spring, but I haven't received anything recently. I've got a ton of questions but I don't want to email them only to receive a packet answering all my questions the next day.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:40 pm

M53201 wrote:Does anyone know when the school is going to send out the next round of information? I thought they said something would be mailed out in late spring, but I haven't received anything recently. I've got a ton of questions but I don't want to email them only to receive a packet answering all my questions the next day.
This is exactly how i feel. one of us should get brave and call them.

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:26 pm

sjkarlina wrote:
M53201 wrote:Does anyone know when the school is going to send out the next round of information? I thought they said something would be mailed out in late spring, but I haven't received anything recently. I've got a ton of questions but I don't want to email them only to receive a packet answering all my questions the next day.
This is exactly how i feel. one of us should get brave and call them.
I was told July.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:27 pm

OMG thats so long. I can't wait that long.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:42 pm

I emailed. I couldn't help it.
Another mailing will be sent out at the end of June to admitted
students. If you need to know any information before then, please feel free
to contact our office.

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:06 pm

sjkarlina wrote:I emailed. I couldn't help it.
Another mailing will be sent out at the end of June to admitted
students. If you need to know any information before then, please feel free to contact our office.
Well. I can't wait.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:09 pm

LOL what are you going to ask them about?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:22 pm

Well, now that I know it should be coming in late June, I can hold my curiosity until then. Although to be honest all my questions are about really trivial things. I think it's more that I enjoy getting letters from the school, I like checking my mail and finding a big envelope.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:25 pm

M53201 wrote:Well, now that I know it should be coming in late June, I can hold my curiosity until then. Although to be honest all my questions are about really trivial things. I think it's more that I enjoy getting letters from the school, I like checking my mail and finding a big envelope.
LOL me too. I have so many questions but I dont think they are THAT urgent.
I am pretty busy til after 4th of July so I SUPPOSE I can also wait.

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:40 pm

wait what questions do you guys have? i don't have any... lol should i be worried?

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:37 am

Nah, no need to worry. I've just got a question about health insurance for students, and a little about buying a computer through the university. But both of those can wait.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:11 am

LOL my questions are very similar. Even though I pretty much stare at SCU's website all day.

Here is the page about how much health insurance costs:
Cost of Insurance
And here is a PDF file that gives an overview of the plan.
Plan Overview
I am pretty sure that asthma is a pre existing medical condition and since I have it, I believe they arent going to cover it. I could be wrong but thats what I'm reading.

mikee2005

New

Post by mikee2005 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:11 am

Hey, now that most of us have made a decision to be at SCU for law school (yay class of 2011), let's start to get to know each other! I'll go first. If you haven't guessed from my username, my name is Mike, I live in Texas and I went to UT-Austin for undergrad (graduated may 2007) and am 23 years old. I don't know what kind of law I want to practice yet, but I do want to end up in a courtroom at least some of the time. I like soccer, so I'm hoping to get back into it (haven't played since freshman year of college). Hopefully, we can form an intramural team of law students or something like that.

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:44 am

I'm into soccer too. Have you been watching the Euro this summer? I'm cheering for Spain but i've been pretty impressed by Portugal and (surprisingly) Croatia. But anyway I'll definitely kick the ball around with you whenever we've got free time (though I can't imagine it'll be that much free time).
anyway, my name is Micah, I come from Hawaii originally then went to Seattle for undergrad at UW, after that moved to Japan for a couple years and now I'm back in Hawaii hanging around my parents place until I move up to santa clara before school starts. I'm 24 (but I think I said that earlier on in this thread). Not entirely sure what I want to practice but both international and IP law look interesting. But who knows, I could graduate top of the class then go on to become a farmer instead. The future is mysterious.

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:10 am

Hello some of this may be repost from earlier, but i'm happy at how this thread is still aliveeeee...

my name is Jonathan. I am one of many chinese boys who grew up in Cuperchino, which is a 15 minute drive from Santa Clara though my parents have since left for Hong Kong. I went to Berkeley for undergrad. I'm a 20-year old engineering major, interning at Sandisk for the summer in Milpitas, which is 10 minutes from SCU. i'll be in the area until school starts. Naturally, I am interested in IP law but am open to other fields. Hopefully I'll get to move in sometime in July. I'm really bad at soccer, but I'm into basketball, so if anyone wants to play, holler! I am hoping to meet some smart and inspirational peoples!! WOO!!! And if anyone's in the area already, i'm already bored after work so it'd be kind of cool to hang out with another incoming law student.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”