Santa Clara University Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
M53201

Bronze

Re: Santa Clara University Class of 2011

Post by M53201 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:00 pm

You could always run windows 100% of the time I guess. The new macs seem to preform pretty well with windows. And just save the mac side for situations when you really need a mac (though I can't really imagine what those situations might be).

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:02 pm

my windows partition is doing just fine i guess; no problems as of now. i have 10gb for windows and 60gb for mac.

i don't like booting into windows, and one program (onenote) is not going to change that (i changed my mind from before), so for now, i'll be trying to take notes using word notebook layout and see how long i can last. i know i'll need windows for exam time, but that's probably all i'll use windows for.

VMware is slow too. Have you used it? I've used it for Unix operating systems and if you want to use Windows JUST for onenote... it will be very very annoying to go back and forth. also, VMware is very annoying to set up. If you ABSOLUTELY NEED onenote, then i guess get a pc (or follow M's suggestion above, you can also have it boot to windows by default).

i only got a mac because i code, and macs are coder-friendly (totally owns PC in this area). otherwise, i would have gotten a PC; PC is superior/equal to Mac in every other way (except in prettiness/cuteness).

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm currently running the trial version of VMware and it seems okay so far. Remember I have like a crapload of memory. I have a 250gb hard drive and 4gb of RAM so it not running slow.
I watched the video on it and it actually looks cool. I'm just annoyed because I feel like I have to do sooo much to get my Mac to be like a PC. The full version of VMware is like 70 bucks and on top of the crapload of money I already spent on the computer, plus the 100 for windows and the 100 for office.

But I also feel like any PC I'm going to get isn't going to be as good/reliable as a Mac. My brother wants to buy my laptop now, and I am literally SO torn in half about what to do.

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:18 pm

Well, if you're brother is going to buy a mac anyway and you really want to get rid of yours to get a pc, this is a pretty opportune time to do so. I wouldn't sell mine, but that's just my opinion.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:26 pm

M53201 wrote:Well, if you're brother is going to buy a mac anyway and you really want to get rid of yours to get a pc, this is a pretty opportune time to do so. I wouldn't sell mine, but that's just my opinion.
My brother is definitly going to buy a Mac anyway but I am still torn about buying a PC. There are things about a Mac that just irk me and I'm used to running a PC so its difficult to adjust.

My anger yesterday at the computer came from this:

I had set up boot camp and activated Windows like 2 weeks ago. Then I downloaded the trial of VMware and when I opened boot camp again it made me reactivate Windows. I then added office and activated it (one of 3 times). Yesterday I was trying to figure out if Parallels would work for me (forgot about VMware til valrp reminded me). After she reminded me, I opened VMware for the first time since downloading it and it made me REACTIVATE windows AGAIN. When I tried to do it, it told me that I didnt have anymore activations left. I called Microsoft and they fixed it since it was still ONE computer. Then once I was in VMware it made me REACTIVATE Office AGAIN!!! (I think taking the 2nd activation! WTF?!?!)

I literally just lost it. I felt like I should have gotten a PC to begin with and now I'm stuck with a Mac that is a great computer if you don't really need to run windows but I DO need it. I dont know if its worth it to cut my losses especially because I have put SOOO much money into this, but I'm not totally happy with it.
I also feel that if I've spent like 2K on a computer, it should fit my needs and work perfectly for me...instead of irking me.

Thats where i'm at.
Blah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:47 pm

wow 4 gb on a laptop. that's a lot.

ok i see where your frustration is coming from. i say just sell/give ur computer to your brother and get a thinkpad and become happy. you'll be switching back and forth from windows to leopard for the next 3 years, so if you hate it now... then it's probably time to get out.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm seriously considering selling it to him. He is willing to pay me everything I paid for it. I may get a Sony Vaio, which was what I was debating on before I got the Macbook.
I'm gonna debate and think on it. But when you put it that way (me switching, which is what would probably happen for the next 3 years) it does sound more appealing to get out now.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:54 pm

I feel like the Ca Acceptances, Denials,... thread basically just switched to this thread, but not I'm out of place.

i miss you california people!! i miss you!!

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:58 pm

We'll miss you too... even though I'm not actually in California yet and haven't actually met you irl and never really posted on the CA acceptance/denial thread. Regardless, try to enjoy not being on the west coast (as if that were even possible).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mikee2005

New

Post by mikee2005 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:42 pm

sjk wrote:I'm seriously considering selling it to him. He is willing to pay me everything I paid for it. I may get a Sony Vaio, which was what I was debating on before I got the Macbook.
I'm gonna debate and think on it. But when you put it that way (me switching, which is what would probably happen for the next 3 years) it does sound more appealing to get out now.
Hey, yea...I noticed the same thing. I ended up wanting to use windows for One Note and some other stuff, and it just seemed like a huge hassle to have both windows and mac osx. While i did enjoy osx, I mostly would use the computer for typing, surfing the web...and I realized that I am much faster and efficient with vista, I don't have all those meltdowns and headaches with it that a lot of people seem to complain about. So, I returned my macbook to apple (within the 14 days, but I had opened it so I had to eat the 10% restocking fee, which ended up being $100). I did, however, just get a dell m1330 refurbished for about $1000 including shipping and tax, so it was a good deal (my macbook refurbished was $1100, with tax it was $1167). It has the same size screen as the macbook, 13.3", but it is thinner (macbook seemed kinda bulky to me), lighter (about 4 lbs), has an led backlit screen, and still has the sweet slot load drive. I'm very happy with it.
sjk wrote:I'm just annoyed because I feel like I have to do sooo much to get my Mac to be like a PC.
To answer your question about switching back to PC, If you have to try so hard for your mac to be a PC, it's not worth it (I also learned that the hard way). While Macs are known for their quality, other computers also have good build quality: Lenovos, Toshibas (although they have alot of preinstalled software crap), dells (most are good, in my experience). If you want a mac, run mac osx...if you need windows, just get a PC and be happy!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:17 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it to my brother (Apple won't return it!)
But he is reallllly cool when it comes to stuff like this so he is paying me exactly what I paid for it.
So now I'm just looking into what kind of computer to get. I like the Sony VAIO...and I like the new Dell XPS. I just need a fantastic warranty on it lol

mikee2005

New

Post by mikee2005 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Sony VAIO's are nice, but they are overpriced for what you get (like, you can similarly configure other computers for less). but, Sony's are quality, though. I just got my xps, and it's one of the coolest looking computers ever. You might be able to get a good deal b/c dell always has weekend sales and offers, so just shop around. Oh, and if you buy the XPS through the SCU website link, the price includes a 3 year warranty (i didn't get it b/c I got a refurbished one, but the dell warranties are pretty good).

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:28 am

I'll be in Santa Clara on Monday!!! What are you all up to on Tues, Wed, Thurs, etc..? Lunch?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:57 am

M53201 wrote:I'll be in Santa Clara on Monday!!! What are you all up to on Tues, Wed, Thurs, etc..? Lunch?
UGH I have to work. Its my last week. Although I don't do much...hahaha
Anyway I think we should meet up and go to Orientation together. Like a little gang. I know valrp and I are meeting up.

I know Wed-Fri is mandatory and we have Mon/Tue to do other stuff. When do ya'll plan on heading over there?

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:16 pm

Sounds like a plan to roll into orientation together. Anyone else down to meet up before orientation starts?

Also, I'll be trying to take care of everything I can ASAP (I guess this would be this week or monday/tuesday next week if there isn't any way to get things done sooner).

mikee2005

New

Post by mikee2005 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:29 pm

M53201 wrote:Sounds like a plan to roll into orientation together. Anyone else down to meet up before orientation starts?
Hey, yea I'm game. I am heading up there this Friday, but my family is coming too (they want to visit San Francisco, etc.) But, I can meet up that following monday or tuesday sometime for dinner or something. Anyone else down? It would be nice to meet some people before orientation starts on wednesday.

stranger

New

Post by stranger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:39 pm

mikee2005 wrote:I'm moving from Houston, TX. Anyone else out there moving from far off places? (no....socal doesn't count!)
I just got here -- moved from Charlotte, NC. I have arrived, my furniture hasn't, so I'm sitting here in an empty apartment with an air mattress and a couple of lawn chairs. I feel like such a college student.

It'd definitely be cool to get together and meet people.

Reading all this Mac drama has me puzzled. I'm just planning on using bootcamp only for exams, and native Mac software for daily use. I'm not really sure OneNote is worth switching operating systems and all the pain in the rear that entails.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

M53201

Bronze

Post by M53201 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:14 am

OneNote's really not a reason to switch, though I think it is an added perk if you already happen to be running office '07.
I was just curious if any of the other, similar programs are good enough for me to consider a switch to the mac side of my partition for my primary note taking. It would seem they are not.

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:25 pm

M53201 wrote:OneNote's really not a reason to switch, though I think it is an added perk if you already happen to be running office '07.
I was just curious if any of the other, similar programs are good enough for me to consider a switch to the mac side of my partition for my primary note taking. It would seem they are not.

Did you download Circus Ponies notebook trial? I think it's better than one note. Especially because of the indexing capabilities.

renwoshin

New

Post by renwoshin » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:38 pm

i am down for dinner on monday or tuesday night of next week. i live 2 blocks from scu right now.

mikee2005

New

Post by mikee2005 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:40 pm

stranger wrote:Reading all this Mac drama has me puzzled. I'm just planning on using bootcamp only for exams, and native Mac software for daily use. I'm not really sure OneNote is worth switching operating systems and all the pain in the rear that entails.
Wow, mac people are defensive...Calm down, I really like Mac and everything it's just that, if you are an experienced PC user, there is really no reason to switch unless you absolutely love mac hardware (like the Macbook Pro...which is sooo sexy, but expensive: $2000! Yikes!) I was just emphasizing that for people that want to use windows regularly, having a PC is more reliable and it would be pointless to have a mac laptop and not run mac osX at least most of the time! Phew...rant!
renwoshin wrote:i am down for dinner on monday or tuesday night of next week. i live 2 blocks from scu right now
Totally renwoshin...I'm cool with either (except if on Monday, i'm going to need a ride if we are going to eat not close to campus, b/c I will be car-less till tuesday). Karlina, you down? Anyone else?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:43 pm

mikee2005 wrote:
stranger wrote:Reading all this Mac drama has me puzzled. I'm just planning on using bootcamp only for exams, and native Mac software for daily use. I'm not really sure OneNote is worth switching operating systems and all the pain in the rear that entails.
Wow, mac people are defensive...Calm down, I really like Mac and everything it's just that, if you are an experienced PC user, there is really no reason to switch unless you absolutely love mac hardware (like the Macbook Pro...which is sooo sexy, but expensive: $2000! Yikes!) I was just emphasizing that for people that want to use windows regularly, having a PC is more reliable and it would be pointless to have a mac laptop and not run mac osX at least most of the time! Phew...rant!
renwoshin wrote:i am down for dinner on monday or tuesday night of next week. i live 2 blocks from scu right now
Totally renwoshin...I'm cool with either (except if on Monday, i'm going to need a ride if we are going to eat not close to campus, b/c I will be car-less till tuesday). Karlina, you down? Anyone else?
I'm down for whatever. My last day of work is Friday!!
And apparently its just the 2 of us who are going with PCs. We can be cool and let our Mac loving friends be on their own!

mikee2005

New

Post by mikee2005 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 pm

sjk wrote:I'm down for whatever. My last day of work is Friday!!
And apparently its just the 2 of us who are going with PCs. We can be cool and let our Mac loving friends be on their own!
Yay! My last day was today. I am going to start packing now. And, I need a new backpack...argh, the stress!
Anyways, yeah, PC users rule! We never get enough credit!

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:19 pm

HAHA I bought a new backpack like 2 weeks ago. It was on ebags.com and it was the Ogio Metro. It got great reviews from law students.
Valrp got a bag that made her look like a kindergartner (it was HUGE) but I love her anyway!

valrp

New

Post by valrp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:20 am

sjk wrote:HAHA I bought a new backpack like 2 weeks ago. It was on ebags.com and it was the Ogio Metro. It got great reviews from law students.
Valrp got a bag that made her look like a kindergartner (it was HUGE) but I love her anyway!

hey! SHhhhhhhhh about that!

For the record, it is being returned. It was larger than my upper torso. No lie. Stay away from the Ebags Macroloader.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”