Northwestern '11

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
User avatar
mumbling2myself
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:33 am

typodragon wrote:sorry about that. i'm a perpetual motion machine of questions. i've always loved fantasizing about different courses to take and the process for it all. it is a bit premature though. i do wish they'd tell us our sections.

how many courses do we take the first 2 semesters anyway? is legal writing something we take both semesters?


You'll take 4 classes + legal writing each semester. First semester your classes will be set, second semester will be 2 set courses, 2 electives, and legal writing.

Try logging into blackboard to see if your courses are listed there.

typodragon
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby typodragon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 am

what's blackboard? is that different from caesar?

User avatar
mumbling2myself
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:23 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby mumbling2myself » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:38 pm

Blackboard is NU's course management site (where profs post things like syllabi and electronic articles for the class).

The login is here, and should use the same username/password as CAESAR.

typodragon
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby typodragon » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:50 pm

Thanks. Still no luck though.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:17 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Corsair » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:01 pm

..

Arnaud
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:08 am

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Arnaud » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Corsair wrote:
Arnaud wrote:Hi all

I would like to have some informations after the first round that has just taken place. I find myself in a situation where I'm ninth on the waitinglist for the Negotiation course (with Lynn Cohn). I have several questions for you:

1) If I decide to cancel the course before the second round, can you confirm I will recover all of my points?

2) If I decide not to cancel the course and I am eventually not accepted, what happens with my points? Will they be permanently lost?

3) Do you know if the wait list is updated in real time? Thus, I could see if my place will not modified before cancelling it.

4) Finally, will I necessarily be obliged to bid in the second round? I mean, for Negotiation for example, will I necessarily have to increase my bid? Also, can I bid new courses that I did not bid in the first round?

Thank you in advance.

Arnaud


1) Yes.

2) Yes, lost.

3) I don't believe you'll see it updated until after the next round of bidding.

4) Any new bids won't affect your current position on the wait list. Anyone who bids on a class with a wait list in the second round is automatically put at the end of the list behind the people who were on the wait list from round 1.

In the case of Lynn's Negotiation class, you can be fairly certain that no one will be getting in off the wait list.


Thank you very much for your help.

I think I'll drop the course. The second semester provides a lot of good courses.

User avatar
Merrill
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Merrill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Does anyone know the website to sign on to email? I had it bookmarked on my old computer, but my hard drive died.

User avatar
brillig
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:40 am

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby brillig » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:56 am

Hi Merrill! It's nlaw.northwestern.edu

Neither it nor any NU sites are working for me this morning, but that could just be my computer. Maybe with all this bidding and oci nlaw just exploded :shock:

User avatar
Merrill
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Merrill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks brillig! I can't get on the listserve. I'm also getting impatient about knowing my section and schedule--I'm trying to schedule things in September, which is impossible if I don't know when my classes are.

typodragon
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby typodragon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:41 am

well we do know when most of our classes are, since the course schedules are available and all of the 1L courses except legal writing meet at the same times. you'll have civ pro either early afternoon or just before lunch MTW. legal writing is sometime on thursday and then early afternoon on friday. contracts is likely early in the morning MTW or, with 25 percent chance for you, early afternoon MTW. if you have crimlaw, a 75 percent chance, it's right before lunch MTW. if you have torts it's either early morning or right before lunch MTW. property is a bit odd in that there's 1 section right before lunch MTW and one section on ThF right before lunch, but only half the sections have property.

User avatar
Merrill
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Merrill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 am

typodragon wrote:well we do know when most of our classes are, since the course schedules are available and all of the 1L courses except legal writing meet at the same times. you'll have civ pro either early afternoon or just before lunch MTW. legal writing is sometime on thursday and then early afternoon on friday. contracts is likely early in the morning MTW or, with 25 percent chance for you, early afternoon MTW. if you have crimlaw, a 75 percent chance, it's right before lunch MTW. if you have torts it's either early morning or right before lunch MTW. property is a bit odd in that there's 1 section right before lunch MTW and one section on ThF right before lunch, but only half the sections have property.


Sure, but if I want to schedule a doctor's appointment or something, I need exact times.

User avatar
BlueDevilSarah
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby BlueDevilSarah » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Northwestern's networks are apparently down this morning, which has been quite frustrating for those of us doing interviewing.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:56 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
idrinkcoffee
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby idrinkcoffee » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:43 pm

I am moving into McClurg on the 15th and am looking for furniture. Can I PM one of the current students a message to post to the listserv? Thanks, and I look forward to seeing ya'll soon!!

User avatar
brillig
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:40 am

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby brillig » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Hi coffee! The old listservs are dead, I believe, and the new one is a google group that's open to all of us. The invite email comes to your nlaw address with a link to sign up. Got mine yesterday. If you didn't get yours yet, I'll post something for you. There isn't really any activity on it yet though.

User avatar
Merrill
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Merrill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:22 pm

brillig wrote:Hi coffee! The old listservs are dead, I believe, and the new one is a google group that's open to all of us. The invite email comes to your nlaw address with a link to sign up. Got mine yesterday. If you didn't get yours yet, I'll post something for you. There isn't really any activity on it yet though.


I can't get on the listserve, not sure why, even though I registered yesterday. Who can I talk to about this?

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:33 pm

..

User avatar
Merrill
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Merrill » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:35 pm

Oh! I figured it out. I think it's because I tried to have my regular gmail account open while I was trying to access the listserve with my nlaw account. That was confusing.

typodragon
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby typodragon » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:20 pm

i'm bored. is it worth my while to burn through all of the E&Es and other supplements i can find in the next few weeks before classes? or is it just goin to confuse me?

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:23 pm

..

User avatar
idrinkcoffee
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby idrinkcoffee » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks, brillig! I'll have to look at the Google group.

I am so envious of all the new students who have already settled in (and are even bored). I'm in a panicked...er... packing frenzy, and it is not fun. :?

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:13 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typodragon
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby typodragon » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:29 pm

So I threw together a yahoo football league for us. PM me for the login info.

I set it at 10 owners, but we could certainly go as high as 20 or as low as 6 if we wanted. I also set it to offline draft, but I expect we'll have enough people who couldn't do that that we'll end up doing it online.

User avatar
MrRobot
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Northwestern '11

Postby MrRobot » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:36 pm

Drinks at 9:30 tonight at Timothy O'Toole's in Streeterville.




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest