Northwestern '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Corsair

Gold

Re: Northwestern '11

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 pm

brillig

New

Post by brillig » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Anyone know how soon we can get our WildCARDs? Holmes Place wants to see one the first time you go.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:09 pm

nu2011

New

Post by nu2011 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Looking for some advice...

I'm trying to decide between McClurg Court and Onterie. Unfortunately I won't have the opportunity to visit before I move in.

McClurg is $200 more per month ($1200 v. $1000). However, it seems to have slightly better reviews.

Any opinions? I'm concerned about the "paper thin walls" I keep reading about WRT Onterie. Could get really annoying. So, I'm wondering if McClurg is really any better and if it's worth the extra 200.

Thanks in advance!

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:48 pm

I've lived in two different apartments in McClurg (and am moving into a 3rd with a classmate), and don't have any major complaints. They did some capital improvements that weren't handled incredibly well, but ultimately the building is pretty nice and many of the apartments are quite nice.

That said, if you're looking at two apartments that (absent a difference in the building) are of equal value to you, go with the cheaper option. I haven't had a problem with hearing neighbors constantly in McClurg, but that may be more a function of my neighbors than the walls. I did have a neighbor who practiced her piano (badly) for two hours every evening, and I could hear it, but it wasn't too bad at all. The upstairs neighbor at the apartment I'm in now is pretty loud, but only during hockey games so I probably won't hear him again until after I've moved.

I'm actually a little surprised that two similar units in McClurg and Onterie are priced that way; I'd thought McClurg was generally less expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrRobot

New

Post by MrRobot » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:25 am

I was in a similar position to yours. I was considering Onterie (least expensive), McClurg (in the middle), and 420 E. Ohio (most expensive). I went with 420 E. Ohio in the end, but McClurg was my second choice.

Here's a list of the pros and cons that I considered as I was making my choice:

Onterie
---------------
Pros: cost, amazing views (I would have had an awesome, unobstructed lake and city view), slightly closer to the law school, sweet rooftop deck
Cons: old appliances, small stove, elevators seemed to be kind of slow, looks like the building hasn't been well kept, heard the walls are fairly thin

McClurg
----------------
Pros: nice looking building (on the inside), newly renovated apartments, dry cleaner onsite, 7-Eleven onsite, nice views, elevators seemed to be really fast
Cons: lots of residents, heard the walls are fairly thin

420 E. Ohio
----------------
Pros: really nice building, nice views, dry cleaner onsite, a lot fewer residents that McClurg or Onterie, free fitness center and pool, no move-in fees (deposit, application, administrative) for Northwestern students/faculty/staff
Cons: expensive, weird freight elevator reservation policy for moving stuff in/out (never heard of this before), can't do laundry between 10PM and 6AM (only 1-3 BR have washers and dryers in the unit),

Hope that helps.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:44 am

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kerplunk

New

Post by kerplunk » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:56 pm

is there a mailing list set up yet? Also any idea when we get the orientation schedules?

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:08 pm

I lived in McDorm up until a few days ago. I heard my neighbors on both sides ALL THE TIME because of the way the walls are set up. One in particular had a terribly annoying alarm clock that he would leave on when he went out of town, which happened to coincide with first semester exams.

The building itself is nice, the location is great, there's a 7/11 in the basement which is a HUGE plus, the doormen were friendly, maintenance was very responsive, and the closets are gigantic. I just hated feeling like I lived in a hotel and slept in my kitchen (I had a studio).

One negative thing I've heard about Onterie is that the units are very small. I know that when I looked at it last year I was completely turned off because the leasing agent made me wait (when I had called ahead to make an appointment) so that she could take care of a resident's issue. I'm also surprised to hear that the rent is that much less. Is it because of your square footage?

On the when to move issue, I moved to Chicago the day before orientation started, and it was one of the stupidest thing I think I've ever done. You're meeting new people, you're in orientation all day, there are all these events, and you haven't even bought toilet paper or set up your internet yet. I'd say you need a week before at the very least because you'll need to be home for the cable guy and who knows when they'll be available.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm actually a little surprised that two similar units in McClurg and Onterie are priced that way; I'd thought McClurg was generally less expensive.
Yeah McClurg raised their prices. Their apartments (particularly the studios) are more spacious in general, but I'm not sure that's worth the price difference. All of the studios in the nearby buildings are going to be small if you're not already from a big city or a city with a rent supply problem. Remember: location, location, location.

On the other hand, a lot of people I know from DC and especially NY thought that the studios were huge. It's all about perspective, I guess.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:35 pm

ALilMusicFactry wrote: On the other hand, a lot of people I know from DC and especially NY thought that the studios were huge. It's all about perspective, I guess.
hah. I definitely thought the studios and convertibles were quite large. if i were single, I definitely would have gone for one of those. as it is, i took the cheapest 1 bedroom they would show me.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:07 am

`
Last edited by los blancos on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illegallyblonde

New

Post by illegallyblonde » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:07 am

Just got in off the WL and I am so excited! I am abroad now until August 7 which makes finding a place in Chicago a bit harder. Looking forward to the fall now!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:37 am

illegallyblonde wrote:Just got in off the WL and I am so excited! I am abroad now until August 7 which makes finding a place in Chicago a bit harder. Looking forward to the fall now!
Congrats!!! You'll be happy to know that we're all awesome. ;) Where were you planning on going before you got into NU?

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:06 pm

Just got in off the WL and I am so excited! I am abroad now until August 7 which makes finding a place in Chicago a bit harder.
Congrats.

A lot of people rent sight-unseen from the buildings near the school. If you do that there's really no need to visit and most of the paperwork can be done online/via snail mail.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:07 pm

ALilMusicFactry wrote:
Just got in off the WL and I am so excited! I am abroad now until August 7 which makes finding a place in Chicago a bit harder.
Congrats.

A lot of people rent sight-unseen from the buildings near the school. If you do that there's really no need to visit and most of the paperwork can be done online/via snail mail.
the fun/terrifying thing is to fly in and in very little time tear around the area looking at places with the intent to sign that day. good way to test your own limits. i managed a quick 2 day trip into chicago a few weeks ago, looked at like 8 places, including a few of the big buildings near school, and ended up picking the biggest and most conventional. probly could have just phoned that one in, but i'm glad i did it this way.

MrRobot

New

Post by MrRobot » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:43 am

Well, I just arrived in Chicago after a long drive from Pittsburgh. Looks like it's going to be a soggy day for moving in. I look forward to meeting you all over the next month or so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:30 pm

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Congrats on getting in to town, Mr. Robot. There are a bunch of rising 2Ls on the board who would be happy to take you out for a beer if you're willing to hang out with some old fogies like us. Otherwise, more of your compatriots should be arriving soon.

Yeah, I did a whirlwind tour of Chicago in late June/early July and ended up going with the popular decision to join most people at McDorm. It was a nice place to live for first year, but I'm glad to be out of there and in a bigger place with more than one room.

MrRobot

New

Post by MrRobot » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:30 pm

Thanks, BlueDevilSarah. It's awesome being here in Chicago. It would definitely be good to hang out with some of you rising 2Ls.

I'm spending the next couple of days unpacking, furniture shopping, and painting my place. Any day after Tuesday is good, if you all are around.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kerplunk

New

Post by kerplunk » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:03 am

can i come? =)

Also just moved to Chicago and don't really know anyone except my boyfriend.

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 am

This weekend is a big ol' mess for me, but I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe Wednesday or Thursday-ish.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:36 pm

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:45 pm

Can't personally do Friday. Thursday late is bad for me (as a member of the working world for the summer). I suppose they'll just have to pick their favorites :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”