Northwestern '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
typodragon

Bronze

Re: Northwestern '11

Post by typodragon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:21 pm

speaking of buying books. where can we find our book lists? do we just have to go to the book store for that?

brillig

New

Post by brillig » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:31 pm

typodragon wrote:speaking of buying books. where can we find our book lists? do we just have to go to the book store for that?
that's the only way I've heard of to do it. there seems to be kind of a "you're smart, you'll figure it out" approach to stuff like that here, which so far has been fine.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:00 pm

I've already received emails from 2 professors and have syllabi and book lists for those classes (section 3). I'm having some trouble figuring out when the bookstore is open, though--hours aren't even posted at the bookstore itself, and I can't find them listed anywhere online. They weren't open yesterday, either. Does anyone know the hours? I don't live in the area and can't just keep dropping by in hopes it's open.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:17 pm

the bookstore hours in chicago are
Monday-Thurday 9:00-6:30
Friday 9:00-5:30
Saturday 11:00-3:00
according to a related website hosted by the university. there is a caveat that these hours are subject to change at the beginning of term.

the official book store website lists the hours as

Monday
9:00 AM-5:30 PM
Tuesday
Wednesday
9:30 AM-5:30 PM
Thursday
Friday

I'm definitely getting the sense that it's not that we're expected to figure out it so much as we've gotten in bed with a bunch of people who can barely tie their shoelaces and can't be trusted to provide instruction of any kind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:45 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:08 pm

typodragon wrote:I'm definitely getting the sense that it's not that we're expected to figure out it so much as we've gotten in bed with a bunch of people who can barely tie their shoelaces and can't be trusted to provide instruction of any kind.
All because they didn't hold your hand and tell you how to, you know, call a bookstore to find out when it's open? WTF?

I haven't heard of any snafu's in any of the dozens of areas the admissions office has been working on (people are getting UCards, Wildcards, lockers, course assignments, orientation materials, etc. without much problem). It's a professional school... I think the expectation is that the administration will do their part, but not yours.

In any event, TTT-LS was correct that orientation proper doesn't start until next week, when there will be more hand holding than you apparently trust people to provide. Until then, chill out.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:27 pm

I'm chill enough, though I was a bit strong in my skepticism, but you're looking at things through the rose-tinted glasses of having already done this stuff for a year. you know what's expected of you and what's important and how to do it. from my perspective, the fact that I have to slither my way through the maze that is the school website to find out the hours for the bookstore, which happens to be the only place I can find my booklist, is just a little bit frustrating. and i'm ok with it being frustrating because that's life, and it probably is only the tip of the iceberg that is the frustrations of practicing law, and i'll deal with it, but in life I'm allowed to vent a little when things frustrate me.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:36 pm

typodragon wrote:I'm chill enough, though I was a bit strong in my skepticism, but you're looking at things through the rose-tinted glasses of having already done this stuff for a year. you know what's expected of you and what's important and how to do it. from my perspective, the fact that I have to slither my way through the maze that is the school website to find out the hours for the bookstore, which happens to be the only place I can find my booklist, is just a little bit frustrating. and i'm ok with it being frustrating because that's life, and it probably is only the tip of the iceberg that is the frustrations of practicing law, and i'll deal with it, but in life I'm allowed to vent a little when things frustrate me.
I can get that it's frustrating (personally, I can't stand that the bookstore is closed Sundays, period... why on Earth would B&N choose to close a university bookstore the day before classes begin most terms??), but it's not the administration's fault. Most of the 0L's either just found out their schedules or have yet to learn them. There's no reason to buy your books this weekend, so the school didn't go out of its way to tell you how.

You need to not paint the school with such a broad brush; you and they both know that you'll be spending quite a bit of time across the street from the bookstore over the next week, and have ample opportunities to pick up materials. Additionally, there's going to be a big SFPIF used book sale this week at school, so there really hasn't been a reason for the school to give any information out about the bookstore.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a law school class to find their own way to the store, but it is quite unreasonable to say that failing to tell you the hours of a bookstore is indicative of an inability to instruct. You have yet to have any instruction at the law school, so how about you reserve your judgment? I'll even make you a deal, you reserve judgment on instruction until you've had some, and I'll reserve judgment on you until we've actually met. Otherwise we'll both be making some pretty uninformed, negative assessments which may or may not be warranted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:53 pm

fair enough. i was speaking out of emotion and frustration, and I let that get the better of me. I have had a good time so far, and I definitely expect to have a terrific learning experience over the next 3 years. I wish I had limited my words of criticism to the specific area that was annoying me.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:18 pm

It's all good. If you're really frustrated about the orientation process, I'm sure any of the upperclassmen online here or at the school itself will be more than happy to help you out where possible. The bookstore is a source of annoyance for most of us (I've been working with a rising 3L on fixing some of the problems there, but we weren't able to get them implemented before your class matriculated), so I know where you're coming from, but it's only barely even affiliated with the school - it's a Barnes and Noble - and not at all representative of the school itself.

I had a really positive experience with orientation last year, and know that the admissions dept. and the office of the dean of students really do put a lot of effort into the affair to make sure it all goes smoothly. If you have a little faith that they're doing their best to get you as much info as you'll need in the best way possible, and trust that the orientation is being run the way it should, you'll have a fun week.

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:42 pm

I'm out of bottled water. Someone said that the tap water is ok to drink here. This true?
It's actually supposed to be some of the best quality tap water there is. I usually filter it with a Brita just because I'm OCD.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:06 pm

Wow. Law books really are expensive. And heavy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gollymolly

Bronze

Post by gollymolly » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:04 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:29 pm

i actually kindof like portal. it started out a little bad, but i've really come to like my group. i especially enjoy the contact with the LLMs, though everyone has been really good. i could'ave done without being forced to attend things like the sponsor reception.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:58 am

I don't mind Portal either--my group is cool. And I got some good swag at the sponsor reception. The best was the tangle hub from Neal-Gerber-Eisenberg.

I'm trying to figure out if I've met any TLS-ers yet--I'm not really sure.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:31 am

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brillig

New

Post by brillig » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:05 pm

gollymolly wrote:Well apparently any complaints about NU or orientation will be jumped upon, but I'll say it ... Orientation has been unbelievably poorly planned. And you can insist that I must need my hand held all you want; half the bonding I've done with my new classmates has been over how shockingly bad the orientation logistics are. Also, PORTAL is an unbelievable waste of time and is pretty patronizing.

My professors, on the other hand, seemed awesome. I really like the students I've met. The substance of many of the orientation events (minus portal) has been good. Living in downtown Chicago is great! I'm really excited about starting school next week and the next three years more generally. But God, I can't wait for this week to be over because it's really really bad.
I have also talked with my classmates over what sucks about orientation, but in every one of those convos people disagreed over what was good and what was bad. For example, I really hated the huge gaps in time on the first day, but other people found them incredibly useful and well-timed. Whether you like the plan of orientation or not, I think you'd have to admit that it's been well executed. To me, that means that they are choosing to do lots of things that many will like or dislike rather than just catering to the majority, and not that they are in any way bad at this sort of organizing. And that's fine by me. It may even been (this week's version of) the Northwestern Difference.

I do, however, feel very strongly that there should be naprooms. Or they should stop with the free alcohol and early morning programming.

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Those of us who have been around for a few years have seen the PORTAL and Orientation process grow and change as the faculty has listened to our feedback, so it's a work in process. If you have concerns about orientation, it would be a good idea to make sure that you remember all that you've had problems with and then tell the orientation committee or go on one of the leadership retreats where you have an opportunity to discuss any issues with the faculty. They're receptive to change and want everyone to have the best experience possible. I promise that these programs were not developed in an attempt to waste your time and patronize you.

idrinkcoffee

New

Post by idrinkcoffee » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:46 pm

I find the courtyard quite pleasant for napping. ;)
Last edited by idrinkcoffee on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:47 pm

gollymolly wrote:Well apparently any complaints about NU or orientation will be jumped upon
To be fair, I only jumped on complaints issued about before orientation had even begun in earnest.

I totally agree that PORTAL tends to be a waste of time (in particular because of excessive handholding last year - See, e.g., An hour with Kagan about not being a D-Bag online). A lot of it was pretty useless, though still a good chance to meet people and make friends. I'm sure there's going to be plenty of time spent doing things you have no interest in, but that's life.

I haven't really been around for orientation, other than leading a pack of 1L's around the school with another student, so I haven't been privy to any problems with orientation. You're living it, so if you say the logistics are bad, they probably are. You'll definitely have a chance to change that for next year (both on the SBA orientation committee and at the leadership retreat in the spring); the school is pretty open to criticism if it's brought up respectfully.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:34 pm

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:00 pm

TTT-LS, you're such a young'n. When I was a 1L, all we had was one case to study and learn the law. Thankfully, the opinion was written by Cadozo, so it was 130 pages long and could be read to say pretty much anything.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:09 pm

Does anyone know if Holmes place is open tomorrow? I can't find their holiday hours on the website.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”