UCLA Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
ari20dal7

Bronze

Re: UCLA Law Class of 2011

Post by ari20dal7 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:29 pm

We're up to five esteemed TLSers......don't get left out of the workout group! Post it up!

Just remember - if this group gets any bigger, our hard bodies are going to be taking every dating prospect you have. And if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Wow, the workout group idea has really taken off.
I had been planning on a workout routine that included (hopefully) my participating roommate and a couple friends that are still in UG...but this sounds so much better!
ari20dal7 wrote:We're up to five esteemed TLSers......don't get left out of the workout group! Post it up!

:lol:

hope

New

Post by hope » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:26 pm

I'm down for working out - will we have free access to the gym & track?

I'm training for this run, which is the first Sunday after classes start in case anyone is interested. I figure we probably won't have large amounts of training time after school starts...--LinkRemoved-- here are course photos: --LinkRemoved-- It looks gnarly but fun!

Also, can anyone tell me if they are going with ALL Student Loans for the Stafford Loans? Are most of you choosing the Grad Plus loan or private loans with floating rates? I'm having a really hard time deciding!!

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:27 pm

Alright, we're up to seven! Here's the complete list so far:

ari20dal7
hope
BruinBoy86
LeveQ
washdc23 (if he comes to UCLA)
ohnowhathaveidone (committed to fitness excellence!)
balla

So our first marching orders: bombard washdc23 with PMs and photos of the school to help him/her understand ;)

Oh, and Hope, we've got Wooden Center access. I'm really happy - first real gym since I left OU!

Seriously, I'm thinking we can do three things:

1) Set up common work out times for some accountability. We'll never get something that works for everybody, but it'll help to have at least one person to come along......

2) Put together our own goals and help each other stick with them. For example, Hope appears to be a real runner, as that trail race looks like at least 25K. Wow! Most I've ever done is 10K, so we're obviously at a little different level. So wherever we are in our fitness, we can put together a plan and get some tips and encouragement from each other. Last year, I lost fifty pounds largely because I had a group to motivate and help me stay motivated. So if you're just getting started - hang in there! Effort and a good group can change a lot. I've gained a lot of it back......but that's all changing.

3) Maybe, if you guys are interested, we could do some study scheduling as well. I found that it helped to stay with the gym if there were times where I was already committed to studying, so I couldn't use that as an excuse and then goof off on the internet.

Anybody else? Come on, I know you're down, TLS!

redux

New

Post by redux » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:36 pm

i'm in! working out + basketball. can't wait.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

snlink

New

Post by snlink » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm just going with the bank I already have an account with for my lender. Does anyone know if there are any specific benefits to choosing any specific one? From what I understand, the terms of the loans are going to be fairly uniform across all the available lenders.

miked

New

Post by miked » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 pm

damn hope, that looks ridiculous. are you doing the 25k or the 50k? I'll go with you and I'll decide how badly I want to injure myself after I see the course.

ari, you lost 50 f*cking pounds!? wow, nice work. and great idea for the workout group. Glad to see you kids working together even before we get to school.

but, um, I'm a gunner and I will outbench you all.

PS. ari, f studying. lets do some lay in the sun scheduling

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:42 pm

We're up to nine!

ari20dal7
hope
BruinBoy86
LeveQ
balla
redux
miked

snlink, I can't help but notice that you posted after the carny-barker like invitation and didn't mention anything about working out. I'll just get that updated to ten......

thaBeastfromtheEast

New

Post by thaBeastfromtheEast » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:30 am

I could be down for working out, but probably not early morning before school, I don't know how hip all yall other folks are to pulling that kind of schedule, but that's way too early for me.

I'm up for bball or working out everyday though, sounds like fun to me. But a nine o clock class is early enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:38 am

im in ( though 10ish pm seems more realistic than early morning for me). unless i dont live in westwood then i'll need you guys to force me to get to campus early in the am then. the gym is like a zoo 10am-10pm with 30 min limits on cardo equipment cause of all the people waiting. oh i also called wooden to ask if id start getting free access in august and the girl i was talking to said it should work but some people last year had to pay a summer fee cause the gym's computer didnt update or something to know that he law students are already in school.

edit- wooden offers lots of great classes for a nominal fee too. in undergrad i took intro classes to yoga, tennis and meditation. i'll prob do the meditation class again- very relaxing to lie around for an hour. i think they usually cost $20-30 depending on the class- horse riding/ sailing etc are of course more. if youre really cheap, for a lot of group classes the instructor won't care who you are and whether or not you paid. i think i just starting going to the meditation class with a friend and never paid for it :oops:

this is all contingent on my pulling myself away from my new found crack (otherwise known as the Pokemon Diamond game) long enough to attend law school/ go to the gym.

as for financial aid... i need help deciding too.

and- did anyone send in pictures yet? why do they need our pictures?

snlink

New

Post by snlink » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:43 am

I think they use them to put on your student ID card or "bruin card".

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:50 am

snlink wrote:I think they use them to put on your student ID card or "bruin card".
odd. cause the bruin card office has a camera and they take a picture of you to put on your card.

BruinBoy86

New

Post by BruinBoy86 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:02 am

awaitingmailman wrote:
Pictures will be used to create the UCLA Law 2011 Facebook and also be available to our profs....
They will actually have sheets with our names/pics...
No escaping the Socratic method!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bruinbear

New

Post by bruinbear » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:07 am

BruinBoy86 wrote:
awaitingmailman wrote:
Pictures will be used to create the UCLA Law 2011 Facebook and also be available to our profs....
They will actually have sheets with our names/pics...
No escaping the Socratic method!
scary. they have bruincard pictures available to profs on myucla now too. my last quarter there i walked into a seminar class where the prof already knew everyone's name- kinda freaked all of us out cause we didnt know profs can see our pictures.

judgecrandall

New

Post by judgecrandall » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:46 am

Got in off the waitlist about a month ago, but never got around to posting here. I like to workout on my own, but if anyone wants to play basketball, I'm down.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

ohnowhathaveidone

New

Post by ohnowhathaveidone » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:56 pm

OK so who is gonna start the UCLA Law 2011 Physical Fitness Society group on Facebook?

Sounds like we might have to have 2 chapters - perhaps a morning group and evening group.

Lancetastic

New

Post by Lancetastic » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Back when I was in undergrad I was lucky and didn't have to worry about taking out loans, so this whole law school financial aid stuff is new to me. I have my eFAN and know how much I want to borrow and which lender I want to use.

I apologize for my ignorance but do I need to go into a Wells Fargo branch (the lender I want) and set it up there, or does the UCLA financial aid office take care of everything once I select them as my lender on the eFAN acceptance screen? I'm guessing UCLA takes care of it, but I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:27 pm

I'll start a group - I'll make it secret so that we can post up contact info and stuff without having to worry about it. If I haven't PMed you, PM me and we'll find each other on facebook.

hope

New

Post by hope » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Def. the 25k for me!

I am also still confused about choosing a lender and going with Grad Plus vs. private lender - too many choices... I am trying to set up an appointment with the fin aid office and just knock it out

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:13 pm

Eleven! We've got a football team! I call left tackle.

ari20dal7
hope
BruinBoy86
LeveQ
balla
redux
miked
awaitingmailman
thabeastfromtheeast

PMs and FB invites have been sent.....

snlink

New

Post by snlink » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm terrible at basketball but if anyone still wants to do softball that sounds like fun. Also PM me if any future C/O '11ers are on facebook so we can be friends :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nyugrad07

New

Post by nyugrad07 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:34 pm

Hi everyone. I've decided to come to UCLA and I need workout buddies, too! I ran a marathon in high school, but I've been way too lazy lately. Kickball, etc. would be fun as well.

Oh, and I am going to the cocktail reception later this month. Anyone who can come should! We will make it cool.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi everyone. I've decided to come to UCLA and I need workout buddies, too! I ran a marathon in high school, but I've been way too lazy lately. Kickball, etc. would be fun as well.
Congrats on your decision! Sent you a PM with the FB group.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:04 pm

We're now up to twelve, with the complete list below. Everyone has gotten a PM with my Facebook - so make sure to add me or message me on Facebook so that I can send you a group invitation. If you're not on Facebook, that's cool too: PM me and let me know and I'll send you my email address and we can keep in touch that way. We're already posting workout agendas for the summer on the Facebook group, so I'm hoping we can get rolling before we even get to Westwood!

ari20dal7
hope
BruinBoy86
LeveQ
balla
redux
miked
awaitingmailman
thabeastfromtheeast
nyugrad07

Lancetastic

New

Post by Lancetastic » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:23 pm

Sorry for reasking, but do we need to initiate our financial aid and choose our lender through our eFAN first or do we need to go to a lender and speak with them?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”