Notre Dame Class of 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:02 am

gengar wrote:I'm leaning towards renting a house somewhere off-campus. The rent is not much for decent properties around town, especially compared to the rent where I live right now. I also wasn't that impressed with any of the apartment complexes I visited in terms of noise levels, and I want to make sure I can study wherever I live.


I invested long ago in stage monitor quality ear-phones...so I can't hear a damned thing no matter what happens. I'd rather save money...plus I own literally nothing so I'd like to save money and get a studio, haha.

gengar
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby gengar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:46 pm

edgarderby wrote:I invested long ago in stage monitor quality ear-phones...so I can't hear a damned thing no matter what happens. I'd rather save money...plus I own literally nothing so I'd like to save money and get a studio, haha.


Yeah, I think generally most of the apartments should be fine regardless. I only visited a few properties and mostly at the time just after kid school should have gotten out, so that would probably explain why there were a lot of them running around. I'd imagine chances are I wouldn't even be at home around then anyway.

I liked Williamsburg on the Lake most out of those that I visited and, while obviously a lot further from campus than Turtle Creek, the drive isn't bad. If I start thinking about apartments again, I'd probably also check out Indian Lakes (which I didn't get to on my last visit and I've heard is nice), and maybe some of the properties along the river.

maruchan
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby maruchan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:52 pm

edgarderby wrote:where's everyone living at?

i decided i definitely want to live off-campus...i can't handle having non-real internet.

But, I won't have a car, so my options are pretty limited since I need to be within walking-distance. I'm considering Turtle Creek since I'm drunk all the time anyway, and it's cheaper and closer than the actual grad housing.


There's not an internet hookup/ or wireless access at the grad housing? I guess I stupidly presumed there would be.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:41 am

maruchan wrote:
edgarderby wrote:where's everyone living at?

i decided i definitely want to live off-campus...i can't handle having non-real internet.

But, I won't have a car, so my options are pretty limited since I need to be within walking-distance. I'm considering Turtle Creek since I'm drunk all the time anyway, and it's cheaper and closer than the actual grad housing.


There's not an internet hookup/ or wireless access at the grad housing? I guess I stupidly presumed there would be.


I guess i wasn't specific enough since I keep confusing people...

ND can and does check packets you send/receive over the network. Downloading a single song or episode of Lost could potentially ruin your legal career before it starts.

So, it's fast and nice, assuming you don't ever plan on downloading torrents or the like.

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby longhornem » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:33 am

I'm going to be at Runaway Bay. It's probably a 10 minute drive from campus, but I really liked it (and apparently they have quiet hours after 10pm, so that will be nice - I think I would either go on a psychotic rampage or hurl myself over a balcony if I tried to live at Turtle Creek :lol: ). I'm going to have a wood-burning fireplace, and they even plow the snow around the cars in the winter, which will be a nice thing for my Texan self to not have to worry about. I'm way excited!

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:15 am

longhornem wrote:I'm going to be at Runaway Bay. It's probably a 10 minute drive from campus, but I really liked it (and apparently they have quiet hours after 10pm, so that will be nice - I think I would either go on a psychotic rampage or hurl myself over a balcony if I tried to live at Turtle Creek :lol: ). I'm going to have a wood-burning fireplace, and they even plow the snow around the cars in the winter, which will be a nice thing for my Texan self to not have to worry about. I'm way excited!


So, with quiet hours after 10pm, I take it you're not going to host any parties at your place? :[

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby longhornem » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:15 am

Just classy wine and cheese affairs. And dinner parties - I love to cook.

But why do we need parties anywhere else when you're going to have Turtle Creek, Party Capital of South Bend, Indiana at your fingertips?

User avatar
hopefulmeg
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby hopefulmeg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:56 pm

i am living at dublin village townhouses....they are about 2 years old and right when you get off of the toll road. a garage will be lovely in the winters and anything will seem great after a dorm for 4 years! i can't wait :)

LTF
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby LTF » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:16 am

I think I'll be at Main Street Village.. little worried about the distance, but the place was incredible. So sorry if I'm the late guy next year!

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 am

I'm going to be looking at places on Friday, but I think I'm basically having "within one-mile" a make-or-break consideration in my search.

After driving about 3.2 million miles during undergrad, I'm going to try to avoid driving for as long as possible.

LTF
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby LTF » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:19 pm

I am wondering about the satellite tv question though.. I think I'd rather that than comcast.. but I also want to actually be able to watch tv in the winter months -- anyone know anything about this? meg?

gengar
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby gengar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:32 pm

LTF wrote:I am wondering about the satellite tv question though.. I think I'd rather that than comcast.. but I also want to actually be able to watch tv in the winter months -- anyone know anything about this? meg?


This was asked on the FB group discussion board as well - I'd be interested to know.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Notre Dame tomorrow for me!

It'll be my first trip. I'm hoping it reinforces my decision.

maruchan
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby maruchan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:31 pm

edgarderby wrote:Notre Dame tomorrow for me!

It'll be my first trip. I'm hoping it reinforces my decision.


Have fun. There's a free walking tour of the campus, in addition to the law school tour, available in one of the buildings closest to the parking areas (there should be signs pointing to it.) And, if you're bringing anyone with you, the law school is welcoming of them (there were parents/family with all 3 on my tour), and provided lunch coupons for all of them (I think I was offered 5) -- so don't be afraid of bringing them with you on the tour.

You also might want to ask to see the stacks, the thousands of books in the basement area under the library, during your tour. I had to mention it to see it -- I thought it was pretty cool, but that might just be me.

User avatar
LauraMarie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby LauraMarie » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:43 pm

I am also living in runaway bay--i really liked it when I visited, and it worked out well since I will have the dog at school with me (it is one of dog-friendly places). I am getting sooo excited to move!! I am sick of the suburbs and am ready for a change!! When are most of you guys moving into your new places? I decided on the first weekend in Aug, I figured it would be nice to have a few weeks to get used to South Bend. Plus, the apartment complex has an outdoor pool! :)

LTF
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:26 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby LTF » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:53 pm

gengar wrote:
LTF wrote:I am wondering about the satellite tv question though.. I think I'd rather that than comcast.. but I also want to actually be able to watch tv in the winter months -- anyone know anything about this? meg?


This was asked on the FB group discussion board as well - I'd be interested to know.


I posted what I found out about it on the board. It wasn't much, but it doesn't seem like it's a big problem at all during the winter months.

Laura: I'm doing the same.. moving up first week of August so I can the hang of things and get setup. I'm debating on whether to bring my dog then or wait until I'm comfortable with a schedule and such.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:01 pm

LauraMarie wrote:I am also living in runaway bay--i really liked it when I visited, and it worked out well since I will have the dog at school with me (it is one of dog-friendly places). I am getting sooo excited to move!! I am sick of the suburbs and am ready for a change!! When are most of you guys moving into your new places? I decided on the first weekend in Aug, I figured it would be nice to have a few weeks to get used to South Bend. Plus, the apartment complex has an outdoor pool! :)


I'm probably going to move early in august, but not for sure yet.

Also, I'm going to play w/your dog. haha

User avatar
longhornem
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby longhornem » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:07 pm

LauraMarie wrote:I am also living in runaway bay--i really liked it when I visited, and it worked out well since I will have the dog at school with me (it is one of dog-friendly places). I am getting sooo excited to move!! I am sick of the suburbs and am ready for a change!! When are most of you guys moving into your new places? I decided on the first weekend in Aug, I figured it would be nice to have a few weeks to get used to South Bend. Plus, the apartment complex has an outdoor pool! :)


I'm planning on getting a kitten after I get there. I'm excited!

But I'm not moving in till the 15th. I want to earn as much money as possible at my job before I have to go back to being a poor student :)

Edgar, don't forget to take a picture with TD Jesus :wink:

gengar
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby gengar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:08 pm

I also plan on moving in around the first week of August - like others, I'd like to become at least a bit familiar with the area before hitting the books. We should definitely get together before classes start.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:05 pm

annnnnnnnd im back to living in Fischer, apt search was lackluster at best. Guess it's hard to work out with such a late start...

gengar
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby gengar » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:14 am

edgarderby wrote:annnnnnnnd im back to living in Fischer, apt search was lackluster at best. Guess it's hard to work out with such a late start...


Wow, what was so bad about the apartment search? Low availability?

jaliebs
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby jaliebs » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:20 am

edgarderby wrote:annnnnnnnd im back to living in Fischer, apt search was lackluster at best. Guess it's hard to work out with such a late start...


How was the rest of the visit? I take it you liked it enough to continue to stick with us.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:30 am

gengar wrote:
edgarderby wrote:annnnnnnnd im back to living in Fischer, apt search was lackluster at best. Guess it's hard to work out with such a late start...


Wow, what was so bad about the apartment search? Low availability?


I wanted something within a reasonable walking distance, and a 1br. That alone knocked out pretty much everything available.

I figured if I was going to have to go with a 2br and get a roommate, I might as well go with FOG, since I could still send my contract in this week and have a spot in Fischer.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:31 am

jaliebs wrote:
edgarderby wrote:annnnnnnnd im back to living in Fischer, apt search was lackluster at best. Guess it's hard to work out with such a late start...


How was the rest of the visit? I take it you liked it enough to continue to stick with us.


It was a-okay. Kind of a surreal campus coming from a very modest state school background, haha.

nattr12
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:05 pm

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Postby nattr12 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Alright so now that I have decided to attend Notre Dame I have some questions regarding clothing. I am from Miami, Florida, I have seen snow only once before in my life, and I have a very limited amount of winter clothes (think a couple of polo knit sweaters and a pair of gloves). I am going to freeze my butt off if I move to Indiana with my current wardrobe. What should I buy? I need a list from head to toe of what I should buy (i.e. socks, kind of shoes, under armour type situation, pants, hats, etc.).




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest