Notre Dame Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
LTF

New

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Post by LTF » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:46 pm

edgarderby wrote:
jaliebs wrote:
edgarderby wrote:annnnnnnnd im back to living in Fischer, apt search was lackluster at best. Guess it's hard to work out with such a late start...
How was the rest of the visit? I take it you liked it enough to continue to stick with us.
It was a-okay. Kind of a surreal campus coming from a very modest state school background, haha.
Where did you look for apartments at? Is Fischer connected to ND campus? So much for your torrents..

There's a lot of decent places nearby the school, just a matter of driving to the parking lot in the morning vs. making the walk from Fischer

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:38 pm

LTF wrote:
edgarderby wrote:
jaliebs wrote:
edgarderby wrote:annnnnnnnd im back to living in Fischer, apt search was lackluster at best. Guess it's hard to work out with such a late start...
How was the rest of the visit? I take it you liked it enough to continue to stick with us.
It was a-okay. Kind of a surreal campus coming from a very modest state school background, haha.
Where did you look for apartments at? Is Fischer connected to ND campus? So much for your torrents..

There's a lot of decent places nearby the school, just a matter of driving to the parking lot in the morning vs. making the walk from Fischer
No car for me next year.

Wouldn't have been a huge problem if I had started my search earlier, but c'est la vie.

I'm just going to run a SSH tunnel through to my dad's internet connection...or just VNC into his computer and download stuff -> transfer over port 80.

Minor pain in the ass to setup, but once it's set, it won't be much slower than normal.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:40 pm

nattr12 wrote:Alright so now that I have decided to attend Notre Dame I have some questions regarding clothing. I am from Miami, Florida, I have seen snow only once before in my life, and I have a very limited amount of winter clothes (think a couple of polo knit sweaters and a pair of gloves). I am going to freeze my butt off if I move to Indiana with my current wardrobe. What should I buy? I need a list from head to toe of what I should buy (i.e. socks, kind of shoes, under armour type situation, pants, hats, etc.).
It's not the arctic...buy a coat. That's it.

I've lived in the Midwest my entire life, and I've never owned a relatively heavy coat. Unless you're planning on going sledding or something, then yeah, go all out.

nattr12

New

Post by nattr12 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks...dick.

LTF

New

Post by LTF » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:03 pm

nattr12 wrote:Thanks...dick.

haha.. I'm coming from Texas, but I've lived "up north" before.. North Carolina. Really, like edgar said, you just need a good coat. You can get a heavy one.. they don't know what 'cold' is to us :) Other than that, some boots would probably do good when snow's on the ground.. I'm not sure what else. Mostly people piled on undershirts, long sleeve shirts, hoodies, and a jacket if it was that cold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:03 pm

:wink:

My name's not Richard, but you southerners killlll me.

Then again, when it's 85+ out, I want to get naked and kill myself.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:05 pm

LTF wrote:

haha.. I'm coming from Texas, but I've lived "up north" before.. North Carolina. Really, like edgar said, you just need a good coat. You can get a heavy one.. they don't know what 'cold' is to us :) Other than that, some boots would probably do good when snow's on the ground.. I'm not sure what else. Mostly people piled on undershirts, long sleeve shirts, hoodies, and a jacket if it was that cold.
I'm just saying, I have more than one friend in college (Ohio) who has never worn a coat in his life, and wears flip flops year-round.

It's not like they won't plow the walkways/parking lots, so unless you're planning on rascal hunting, you don't need to really be concerned.

LTF

New

Post by LTF » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:08 pm

edgarderby wrote:
LTF wrote:

I'm just saying, I have more than one friend in college (Ohio) who has never worn a coat in his life, and wears flip flops year-round.

It's not like they won't plow the walkways/parking lots, so unless you're planning on rascal hunting, you don't need to really be concerned.
Yeah but you're not taking into account where we're coming from. As you said before, 85 and you want to die. It's 95 here right now.. and this is typical. We don't see snow/ice here during the winters, and we freak out about "plants freezing" when it dips below 32. Different strokes for different folks.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Being cold > Being hot

IMO

If you're hot, you're a sweaty mess by the time you get to class. If you're cold, at least you're burning some extra calories on your walk.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nattr12

New

Post by nattr12 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:29 pm

Miami is definitely not the "the south" it just happens to be geographically in the south; no sweet tea and the like there. The reason I asked the question about winter wear was because a coworker told me I wasn't prepared to live up north at all. In fact he recommended I get "sniper boots" for the cold. I don't frequent stores where I can buy sniper boots, although I do need to work on my marksmanship.

And you Midwesterners do nooooooothing for me.
Then again if I lead such a bland existence killing myself would be a foregone conclusion.

maruchan

New

Post by maruchan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:58 pm

nattr12 wrote:Miami is definitely not the "the south" it just happens to be geographically in the south; no sweet tea and the like there. The reason I asked the question about winter wear was because a coworker told me I wasn't prepared to live up north at all. In fact he recommended I get "sniper boots" for the cold. I don't frequent stores where I can buy sniper boots, although I do need to work on my marksmanship.

Then again if I lead such a bland existence killing myself would be a foregone conclusion.
I'm also from Florida, and the cold does suck for us. If cold weather were, in deed, better than the warm, then I find the whole issue of Northerners flocking to SC/ NC/ TX and FL very perplexing.

I went to school in Ohio, nattr12, and I managed with sweaters for the most part. I had a heavy coat, but only used it a couple times (normally if I were going to be outside for a lengthy period.) Besides, you'll have some time to ease into the cold.. It won't be waiting for you in August. If you're a girl, however, which I doubt, you may be more concerned with some winter styles, which I frankly can't help you with, and don't give a damn about.

Miler

New

Post by Miler » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Hoodies are key.

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:11 pm

edgarderby wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

FWIW, I think nothing of it when it's 97 outside like it is today, but I do prefer being cold to being hot. Cold is a much easier situation to fix - just put on more clothes.
edgarderby wrote: If you're hot, you're a sweaty mess by the time you get to class. If you're cold, at least you're burning some extra calories on your walk.
TITCR. Biggest downside to UT I think is that the sweaty mess situation can continue well into October.

And nattr12, you'd probably be much better off waiting till you get up to South Bend to buy everything. It's going to be normal temperature when we start, and if Miami stores are anything like Texas stores (combined with the fact that it is now June) you probably won't find much that's attractive/useful unless you go to a ski store and pay tons. You'll probably be able to find much better deals on a wider selection up there. I'm not buying any winter stuff till I get there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nattr12

New

Post by nattr12 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks for substantiating my concerns with the cold Maruchan. I guess I was under the impression (misguided I know presume) that there was weather specific gear and certain brands that people would recommend. I guess in the fall I'm going to be the tool wearing a parka when it gets into the 50s.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:41 pm

longhornem wrote:
edgarderby wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

FWIW, I think nothing of it when it's 97 outside like it is today, but I do prefer being cold to being hot. Cold is a much easier situation to fix - just put on more clothes.

We will be rascal hunting, so I hope you are bringing your boots and survival gear.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:43 pm

nattr12 wrote:Miami is definitely not the "the south" it just happens to be geographically in the south; no sweet tea and the like there. The reason I asked the question about winter wear was because a coworker told me I wasn't prepared to live up north at all. In fact he recommended I get "sniper boots" for the cold. I don't frequent stores where I can buy sniper boots, although I do need to work on my marksmanship.

Chris Carabba is from Florida, and when he went on his first tour, he wore scarves and a peacoat.

I'd say that's good precedent. Do that.

note: I think he also wrote the scarves down in FL

gengar

New

Post by gengar » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:46 pm

IMO all you really need is a thick winter coat and the ability to layer. I assume ND is good about plowing, so you may not even need boots (I never bought boots in the four years I went to ugrad in a snowy area - there were probably only 3 or 4 days that whole time that they would have come in handy). I think having a good thick coat/jacket or two is pretty important for the winter months because it's a decent trek to the law school from either grad housing or the commuter parking lot.

Like others, I would much rather be cold than hot - so honestly, the worst thing about winter is getting to the classroom and it being like 85 degrees in there because the heater is jacked up all the way. I don't even care about the cold, and besides, even us west coasters and southerners get used to it quickly. From this perspective, it's important to layer properly and that was the one aspect of winter I had to figure out when I went off to snowy ugrad. Most days I could get away with wearing my big coat with just a short-sleeved shirt underneath so I didn't burn up in class.

Oh yeah, gloves. Don't forget the gloves. Extra pairs don't hurt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:44 pm

edgarderby wrote:
We will be rascal hunting, so I hope you are bringing your boots and survival gear.
:D

How's this?

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

The last one, of course, goes along with the Arctic gear.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:57 pm

I want that guy's hat!

But you definitely need the Ghillie suit. The rascals would fear you as the premier rascal sniper.

kkhtlk

New

Post by kkhtlk » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:09 pm

hah i never thought one would be able to tie chris carrabba in a notre dame law thread.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:30 pm

longhornem wrote:
edgarderby wrote:

How's this?
--ImageRemoved--

So fearsome...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:39 pm

edgarderby wrote:
longhornem wrote:
edgarderby wrote:

How's this?
--ImageRemoved--

So fearsome...
He doesn't stand a chance.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:08 pm

To everyone I haven't told yet, I just withdrew all my applications besides ND, and I'm canceling my LSAT test, so I will be there for sure in the Fall!

Ryuuza

New

Post by Ryuuza » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:48 pm

They received my second deposit, I have plane tickets to look for housing... seems official. Add me to the list of attending!

maruchan

New

Post by maruchan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:26 am

edgarderby wrote:To everyone I haven't told yet, I just withdrew all my applications besides ND, and I'm canceling my LSAT test, so I will be there for sure in the Fall!
Ryuuza wrote:They received my second deposit, I have plane tickets to look for housing... seems official. Add me to the list of attending!
Congrats on making your decisions, both of you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”