Notre Dame Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
maruchan

New

Re: Notre Dame Class of 2011

Post by maruchan » Mon May 05, 2008 7:32 pm

longhornem wrote:I'm living off-campus, too. Have you looked at that Irish Law guide they sent yet (it's also available in pdf on the admitted students site if you haven't gotten it yet)? There's some great info on apartments in there. I've already started calling places and narrowing down my shortlist based on the info in there. The complexes I've talked to were all really friendly and helpful. I also found a roommate through the roommate forms they have on the admitted students site.
I looked at its cover. I might try the roomate match thing.. Thanks.

EricC/O'11

New

Post by EricC/O'11 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:16 pm

So you have a new classmate! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Fri May 09, 2008 2:18 pm

Yay! Congrats! :D

maruchan

New

Post by maruchan » Mon May 12, 2008 1:11 am

EricC/O'11 wrote:So you have a new classmate! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Welcome, Eric.

EricC/O'11

New

Post by EricC/O'11 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:37 am

Can't wait to meet you all!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LauraMarie

New

Post by LauraMarie » Mon May 12, 2008 1:53 am

Congrats!!!
As for the housing search, I will be heading out to South Bend tomorrow to check out some of the places listed in the PDF file (insiders guide). I'll keep you guys posted if there seem to be any good finds! :)

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Mon May 12, 2008 8:36 am

Great, thanks! I won't be able to go up there for a couple of weeks.

Phonybaloney

New

Post by Phonybaloney » Fri May 16, 2008 11:37 pm

Anyone going to pull a noob move and live in FOG? Just gauging if any of the cool kids will be where I will likely end up.

gengar

New

Post by gengar » Sat May 17, 2008 7:38 am

LauraMarie wrote:Congrats!!!
As for the housing search, I will be heading out to South Bend tomorrow to check out some of the places listed in the PDF file (insiders guide). I'll keep you guys posted if there seem to be any good finds! :)
So, did you wind up seeing anything interesting? I'll be there this coming week and will probably scope out housing options as well (although my mostly morning campus visits will not be helped by usually going to bed at ~8am EDT recently).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Sat May 17, 2008 11:01 am

Phonybaloney wrote:Anyone going to pull a noob move and live in FOG? Just gauging if any of the cool kids will be where I will likely end up.
I decided I didn't like what you got for the price compared to what else was available, but it looks like there are a bunch of people in the Facebook group living in FOG, so you won't be alone.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sat May 17, 2008 7:30 pm

Phonybaloney wrote:Anyone going to pull a noob move and live in FOG? Just gauging if any of the cool kids will be where I will likely end up.
Am I one of the cool kids?

Phonybaloney

New

Post by Phonybaloney » Sat May 17, 2008 10:42 pm

Glad to hear I won't be alone at FOG. I should probably get one of these Facebook accounts you speak of then. And edgarderby, you are definitely one of the cool kids. Weren't you voted TLS's hottest bachelor? I recall a certain little poll that solidifies your cool kid status.

maruchan

New

Post by maruchan » Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 pm

edgarderby wrote:
no

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Mon May 19, 2008 9:37 pm

maruchan wrote:
edgarderby wrote:
no
I guess if I have to ask, the answer is pretty obvious. :|

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Mon May 19, 2008 10:50 pm

I think you're cool

Phonybaloney

New

Post by Phonybaloney » Mon May 19, 2008 10:57 pm

I think you're cool too. But I'm pretty lame, so take that for what it's worth. However, longhornem will be the Kelly Kapowski of ND so I would hold her opinion of you in high regard.

seeyouincourt28

New

Post by seeyouincourt28 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:14 pm

I've officially set my email up and am so incredibly stoked to be going to Notre Dame in the fall!!

I do have a quick question though... does anyone know if it is possible to set this email account up through my blackberry? I figured since it is essentially a gmail account this would be easier, but I'm running into some difficulty.

That said, I am technology illiterate so this may be an easy fix.

Thanks!

AO

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gengar

New

Post by gengar » Sat May 24, 2008 12:46 am

Just a housing question about South Bend/Mishawaka - does it get significantly harder to find nice rental apartments or houses for rent in the area as August approaches, or is not as college-town-ish as other places? I think I'm going to rent rather than buy a place, and I know that in some college towns, many students sign leases well in advance of move-in and by August or even in July, housing can be nearly impossible to find. I'm trying to figure out if I need to take an extra trip out in the summer... thanks in advance.

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Sat May 24, 2008 11:09 am

I called my shortlist of apartments about a month ago to check, because I had the same thought as you about that and I'm used to everywhere in Austin filling up 6 months in advance with pre-leasing. Most of them only require 60 days notice for move-out (I think one I talked to required 30), so they wouldn't know for sure until mid to late June (although they said they definitely would have availability). One had us go ahead and get on a waiting list, where we pay the application fee and fill out the app, they do the credit check or whatever, and then as soon as people start giving notice we can have our pick of the vacated apartments (the waiting list still means we'll definitely get a place). One other place we talked to had the same waiting list thing, but we decided not to live there because the complex is so expensive. Maybe if you find ones you like on the off-campus housing site and/or the apartment section of the Insider's Guide you could try calling them and getting a feel for their availability and all that. You might be able to do a waiting list to hold your place at somewhere you like and then actually start signing stuff in July/August. My roommate and I did all the application/waiting list stuff by phone and mail, so you definitely don't have to be there for that.

I am actually starting the drive up to South Bend tomorrow to check out the campus and my apartment shortlist in person - I am way excited! I've never been.
Last edited by longhornem on Sat May 24, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gengar

New

Post by gengar » Sat May 24, 2008 1:15 pm

Cool, thanks for the information. I took a look at a bunch of apartments during my campus visit so started getting an idea of where I'd want to stay, so maybe I'll start calling around. I also might try renting a house... we'll see.

I really enjoyed my visit there and hope it'll be the same for you. Drive safely!

jaliebs

New

Post by jaliebs » Sat May 24, 2008 1:38 pm

longhornem wrote:I am actually starting the drive up to South Bend tomorrow to check out the campus and my apartment shortlist in person - I am way excited! I've never been.
Enjoy your trip. Make sure you go to CJ's for a burger and Corby's for a beer. Looks like the weather is going to be perfect. If you want to make a day trip out of South Bend, and if you have time, head up to St. Joe's in MI (it's about a 45 min drive) and there is a great pizza place called Silver Beach Pizza right on Lake Michigan. Plus it's a pretty cool town with some good shopping downtown.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ErinMary

New

Post by ErinMary » Sun May 25, 2008 12:51 am

seeyouincourt28 wrote:I've officially set my email up and am so incredibly stoked to be going to Notre Dame in the fall!!

I do have a quick question though... does anyone know if it is possible to set this email account up through my blackberry? I figured since it is essentially a gmail account this would be easier, but I'm running into some difficulty.

That said, I am technology illiterate so this may be an easy fix.

Thanks!

AO

Seeyouincourt-I was having trouble adding this account through my actual blackberry but when I went to the device control website I was able to add it without any problem. Hope that helps :)

gengar

New

Post by gengar » Tue May 27, 2008 4:35 pm

Man, am I really going to have to drive 22 miles to get to a Dunkin' Donuts? (Sorta shows my priorities that that's one of the first things I checked about South Bend.) I had to wait 4 years before they opened them in my city a couple months ago, and even though I'm going back east of the Mississippi River again for school, there aren't any nearby. So wrong. :cry:

Oh well, good for my diet. And traveling 22 miles > not having any at all, I suppose.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:44 am

where's everyone living at?

i decided i definitely want to live off-campus...i can't handle having non-real internet.

But, I won't have a car, so my options are pretty limited since I need to be within walking-distance. I'm considering Turtle Creek since I'm drunk all the time anyway, and it's cheaper and closer than the actual grad housing.

gengar

New

Post by gengar » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:57 am

I'm leaning towards renting a house somewhere off-campus. The rent is not much for decent properties around town, especially compared to the rent where I live right now. I also wasn't that impressed with any of the apartment complexes I visited in terms of noise levels, and I want to make sure I can study wherever I live.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”