Boston University 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Sun May 11, 2008 6:47 pm

crystalhawkeye, are you goin to BU in the fall?

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby BradyToMoss » Sun May 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Got the acceptance recently, most likely going to be attending BU in the Fall. Just started looking around at the housing stuff, thinking it would be nice to live a little East/SE of BU rather than live in the Brighton/Alston area, but I'll have to go into Boston and check out these neighborhoods myself some day. I've lived in MA my whole life and know a lot of people in Boston, but no one going to BU Law. Living alone seems a little expensive and it seems like two bedroom apartments (not a split, I need a real living room of some sort) can be a much better deal than a single. If anyone's possibly looking for a roommate let me know. I'm straight out of UGrad at UMass Amherst, pretty easy going but certainly plan on going out and enjoying Boston's nightlife as much as possible at law school. And I've worked as a cook at an upscale restaurant for 4 years, so that's gotta count for something.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in the Fall, I agree with the earlier comments about a secret code/signal for TLSers at orientation.

User avatar
Undecided83
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Undecided83 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:27 am

SenatorDoherty wrote:Got the acceptance recently, most likely going to be attending BU in the Fall. Just started looking around at the housing stuff, thinking it would be nice to live a little East/SE of BU rather than live in the Brighton/Alston area, but I'll have to go into Boston and check out these neighborhoods myself some day. I've lived in MA my whole life and know a lot of people in Boston, but no one going to BU Law. Living alone seems a little expensive and it seems like two bedroom apartments (not a split, I need a real living room of some sort) can be a much better deal than a single. If anyone's possibly looking for a roommate let me know. I'm straight out of UGrad at UMass Amherst, pretty easy going but certainly plan on going out and enjoying Boston's nightlife as much as possible at law school. And I've worked as a cook at an upscale restaurant for 4 years, so that's gotta count for something.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in the Fall, I agree with the earlier comments about a secret code/signal for TLSers at orientation.


Senator, why East/SE of BU? I am visiting Boston and BU May 21-24. First time in the Boston, and trying to make a final decision on attending BU before the June 2 seat deposit. While I am there, I want to consider potential areas to live...

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby BradyToMoss » Mon May 12, 2008 11:44 am

I had kind of wanted to be near Fenway, and have been told the Fenway/Back Bay area is a little nicer. I also thought a lot of the Alston apts are further away from BU than they actually are. I ended up finding a lot of nice apartments around Packard's corner, which is in east Alston and less than a mile from BU's campus. Seems for 1600ish in that area you can get a nice 2 BR with a good sized living room and kitchen. Lots of fun bars on that commonwealth avenue area too, so I guess I'm open to Alston as well.

User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Mon May 12, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm looking for housing now as well, and a roommate a little later. I've been looking mostly in the fenway area mostly because i really want to be able to walk to school. That being said allston is not out of the question, but price is the first priority. If anyone else is searchin the TLS boards for a roommate, I'm also straight out of UG and plan on hittin fenway park and the night life when possible.

User avatar
Undecided83
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Undecided83 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Gus Chiggins wrote:I'm looking for housing now as well, and a roommate a little later. I've been looking mostly in the fenway area mostly because i really want to be able to walk to school. That being said allston is not out of the question, but price is the first priority. If anyone else is searchin the TLS boards for a roommate, I'm also straight out of UG and plan on hittin fenway park and the night life when possible.


I second all of the above, except that I am 2 years out of UG. In the next few weeks, we should start a thread specifically on housing in Boston for 0L BU law students. Or does this thread already exist?

User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Mon May 12, 2008 12:56 pm

i dont think it does... but im definitely down for that

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby BradyToMoss » Mon May 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Can probably just discuss it here? And I agree, living near Fenway would be incredible. Nothing like moving right next to Fenway in the beginning of the semester. Get work done during the weekdays and that area is incredible during the playoffs. I was right on Lansdowne, the street right behind the Monster, in 2004 when Papi hit a game winning homerun to eliminate the Angels. The streets and the bars that night were one of the more fun things I've seen. I'm going to keep bookmarking any good deals I see near BU, seems like there's a bunch of posters on Craigslist who have lots of apartments perfect for BU students.

User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Mon May 12, 2008 2:43 pm

SenatorDoherty wrote:Can probably just discuss it here? And I agree, living near Fenway would be incredible. Nothing like moving right next to Fenway in the beginning of the semester. Get work done during the weekdays and that area is incredible during the playoffs. I was right on Lansdowne, the street right behind the Monster, in 2004 when Papi hit a game winning homerun to eliminate the Angels. The streets and the bars that night were one of the more fun things I've seen. I'm going to keep bookmarking any good deals I see near BU, seems like there's a bunch of posters on Craigslist who have lots of apartments perfect for BU students.


Yea, I've been a red sox fan my whole life but I'm from PA (parents are from Boston), so I've never even been to Fenway. I've only seen the red sox when they play the phillies or the orioles......the point is I'm trying to live in fenway. But anyway I did the same thing (book mark craigslist listings) about a week ago when i spent some time searching. Then the other day i looked back at the book marks and they had all been taken down. I don't know if there is a really quick turn around with places near BU, but it seems pretty difficult to do the apt search thing with out goin up there and doin it in person.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby BradyToMoss » Mon May 12, 2008 3:33 pm

I believe Craiglist just cycles out every 7 days because there are so many listings. Lots of these apartments are in buildings with plenty of openings for 9/1 since most of them are occupied by students til then and they're in buildings with very similar units. From what I've seen a good 2 BR with a nice kitchen, living room and bathroom can be had for 1800-2k/month. Similarly, a nice 3 bedroom can be had around $2700-2800. There's lots of housing available in the South Campus area which is a half mile tops from the law school and a mile from Fenway, and similarly priced housing located roughly a mile from the law school building right next to Fenway/Kenmore Square. It does seem that housing won't be a problem to find at all provided you don't go looking in the last week of august.

User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Mon May 12, 2008 3:50 pm

But don't we have to be there for the 28th of august. What do you do if your lease starts 9/1.

PS I'll room with anyone who has PS3 / Xbox 360 and GTA 4

User avatar
vtjas81
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby vtjas81 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:44 pm

I don't know if you guys know. But there is a listing for people like yourselves looking for roommates on BU law admitted student website.

dabuff08
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby dabuff08 » Mon May 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Just got in from the waitlist!



I AM SOOO HAPPY

SERIOUSLY

:)

BOSTON HERE I COME!

dabuff08
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby dabuff08 » Mon May 12, 2008 8:43 pm

vtjas81 wrote:I don't know if you guys know. But there is a listing for people like yourselves looking for roommates on BU law admitted student website.



let me know where i can find that if you can i will definitely need a roommate

User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Mon May 12, 2008 9:11 pm

dabuff08 wrote:Just got in from the waitlist!



I AM SOOO HAPPY

SERIOUSLY

:)

BOSTON HERE I COME!


Congrats man.

dabuff08
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby dabuff08 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:25 pm

thanks so much

after being placed on like 12 or so waitlists - im pumped to get off this one!

dabuff08
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby dabuff08 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm

does anyone know if you can have a car in boston or is it like new york

ive never lived there and only visited so i dont really know

User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Mon May 12, 2008 9:47 pm

dabuff08 wrote:does anyone know if you can have a car in boston or is it like new york

ive never lived there and only visited so i dont really know


Some of the apts ive seen online have a parking spot. Its not like new york in that respect. But a car is definitely not needed.

User avatar
BradyToMoss
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:00 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby BradyToMoss » Tue May 13, 2008 12:41 am

There's plenty of housing within a 10 minute walk of the law school, and tons more housing just a 5-10 minute ride on the green line from the law school as well. You can get pretty much anywhere you need with the T and there's plenty going on right in the comm ave area at night so I don't see much need for a car. But if you want to have one you can certainly find somewhere with a parking spot as Gus said earlier.

User avatar
lmardin
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby lmardin » Tue May 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Just got into BU via phone call today!! Sooooooo excited, it was my top choice and I really wasn't expecting to get off the waitlist!! I'm thinking about living outside of Boston, somewhere near the T. Could someone recommend some areas to begin looking????

Thanks!

User avatar
overcastagain
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:02 am

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby overcastagain » Wed May 14, 2008 2:11 am

Grats lmardin! That's exciting news!!!!

User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Mon May 26, 2008 6:21 pm

no new takers on BU?

User avatar
Undecided83
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Undecided83 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Hey, let's talk about housing some more...

I just visited Boston last week for the first time ever. As of this afternoon, i am initiating my apartmen search. Craigslist is giving me a lot of stuff in areas i don't recognize. I really liked Brookline areas - Wash. Square & Coolidge Corner. I also liked Cambridge. Supposedly, North End is cool, and I cam across one in Beacon Hill. Anyone looking for roommates?

User avatar
Gus Chiggins
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby Gus Chiggins » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:55 pm

check out bostonapartments.com .... they typically have some good listings.

davefet
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:49 pm

Re: Boston University 2011

Postby davefet » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:06 pm

So, after a little bit of an absence I'm back on TLS. I'm happy to report that I've found myself an apartment with a roommate, so the struggle is finally over. Those of you still searching, have faith and check out myapartmentmap.com. Its the marriage of google maps and craigslist, which I thought was pretty cool if not slightly useful.

I'm actually in Boston right now (the first time i've ever visited the city) and I can't wait to see everyone at orientation! Enjoy the rest of your summers ;o)




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest