Boston College Class of 2011

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
User avatar
MMW
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:20 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby MMW » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:31 pm

not that im a crazy BC-loving stalker or anything, but i believe kompressor is in DC now, and i'm in NY, so we'll be moving up there in august, at which time we will drink our faces off for the month or so before school actually starts, before we have to forego the pleasures of alcohol for big expensive books (at least a few nights a week).

ps: what are you up to in boston? did you go to school up there?


sounds like a plan. I grew up in Chicago but moved to Boston a few years ago to be with my SO. I currently work for BU, among other things (I hope that doesn't make me some kind of traitor). :wink:

User avatar
Undecided83
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Undecided83 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:49 pm

beachbum07 wrote:I'm torn between BU and BC.....going to force myself to decide within the next few days. I didn't get any scholarship $$$ from either though. Anyone have any input?


Check out course offerings, thematic concentrations available, study abroad ops, or other details that may be important to you. I was trying to make the decision between BC & BU - chose BU for scholarship offering and they have some great study abroad programs.

I would have liked to have visited both - but I live/work in the Republic of Panama. Didn't want to pay for a flight when there are still schools that I haven't yet heard from...

User avatar
Kompressor
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Kompressor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:07 pm

MMW wrote:
not that im a crazy BC-loving stalker or anything, but i believe kompressor is in DC now, and i'm in NY, so we'll be moving up there in august, at which time we will drink our faces off for the month or so before school actually starts, before we have to forego the pleasures of alcohol for big expensive books (at least a few nights a week).

ps: what are you up to in boston? did you go to school up there?


sounds like a plan. I grew up in Chicago but moved to Boston a few years ago to be with my SO. I currently work for BU, among other things (I hope that doesn't make me some kind of traitor). :wink:


I live in DC now, but when I went up to Boston I stayed a night with one of my good friends. The night I stayed he took me to a party and I met 3-4 people who worked for BU as well. Other than the awful stench of BU emanating from their bodies they were good people. Unfortunately, I can't really remember names or occupations. I'm good at remembering faces, not the other stuff.

I will also be moving up in August. Let's make sure to keep in touch.

User avatar
ImACuckoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby ImACuckoo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:33 pm

So I just found this thread. I've been doing most of my BC posting over on LSD b/c I didn't think there was anyone here. I'm pretty sure I'll be there next year. I've been deciding b/w two schools and it looks like BC will be getting the nod once I get around to finalizing my decision.

I was reading that August move in dates are hard to find. Did you guys find this to be the case? I might not be able to move in till September, but that's going to be a pain to move in and get started so quickly in a new city. I don't really know what to do. I wish there was a mid-August move-in date. That would be great.

User avatar
Kompressor
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Kompressor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:48 pm

I happen to know someone down there who is best friend's with someone who needs a roommate beginning in July-August so I'm all set in that area.

I was wondering where you had gone...

User avatar
ImACuckoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby ImACuckoo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:58 pm

I've been lurking around, but haven't had as much time to post. What do people with September move-ins do? If classes start in late August, how do the majority of students get by? I'm assuming the vast majority have a September move-in date. I'm moving from pretty far away and my lease ends in mid-August. I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to somehow find an August 1 move-in date and move around mid-August. I'd have to pay for two places for a month but it might be worth it. Any ideas?

Oh, and I just looked at the BU thread. Our school is way better --- I love rivalries.

User avatar
GoodnessMe
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby GoodnessMe » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:10 pm

i sent my deposit in a couple of days ago... SO excited :)

Dana821
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:14 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Dana821 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:29 pm

ImACuckoo wrote:Oh, and I just looked at the BU thread. Our school is way better --- I love rivalries.



did you enjoy my and kompressors trash talking? my rivalry runs deep, i went to BC undergrad too. you picked an excellent school to attend :)

JoshStein
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby JoshStein » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:32 pm

I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to somehow find an August 1 move-in date and move around mid-August. I'd have to pay for two places for a month but it might be worth it. Any ideas?

I'm BC class-o-11, too! Exciting, isn't it?

For the last few weeks, I've been looking at apartments in Boston and have found not one for rent on August 1. I think the best thing to do is try to work something informal out with the tenants, but then you won't know until the last minute.

I actually just put an offer in on an apartment available on September 1. I'll probably be living out my car until then. Or maybe I'll pitch a tent- BC is near a park, isn't it? :idea:

User avatar
ImACuckoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby ImACuckoo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:51 pm

I absolutely loved the trash talking. While I would definitely root for my undergrad over the Eagles, I'm ready to adopt the Eagles as my own. Especially in the ACC, where I dislike just about every other team, it'll be nice to have someone to root for. What a stupid conference.... excluding BC of course. At least it's not the Big East.

User avatar
ImACuckoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby ImACuckoo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:56 pm

GoodnessMe wrote:i sent my deposit in a couple of days ago... SO excited :)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5XnJ0fmo5Q

I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so scared!

OK, not scared at all really. Just going to be a bummer to leave a city I love. That and I wanted to drop the SBTB reference.

Dana821
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:14 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Dana821 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:03 pm

favorite SBTB episode ever.

where you coming from cuckoo? guessing not the mid-atlantic by your disdain for the ACC.

User avatar
Kompressor
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Kompressor » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:33 pm


User avatar
ImACuckoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby ImACuckoo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:01 pm

Dana821 wrote:favorite SBTB episode ever.

where you coming from cuckoo? guessing not the mid-atlantic by your disdain for the ACC.


I'm coming from the great Midwest. I like the Pac-10 too though. It's not solely a regional bias. Or maybe it's a bias against the Eastern region of the country. I don't know, but I guess I don't hate all of the ACC. I really do like UVA even though they do seem to like rejecting me (undergrad and law school). I kind of like Maryland too.

Dana821
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:14 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Dana821 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:59 pm

Kompressor wrote:http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 7904905714

Click on the Mass/Boston section.

:)



you're preachin to the choir my friend. we already know we kick ass and are better than everyone. post this in the bu thread, and you might be teaching someone somethin 8)

User avatar
vtjas81
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby vtjas81 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:57 am

Haha this thread is funny. I just started checking out the new replies. This has turned to a anti-BU thread. I'm going to BU this fall and and I couldn't care less for the rivalry. But I noticed one thing about school rivalries. This is my observation so take it for what's worth, but it is usually the lesser school that constantly drum it up. For example, I went to Virginia Tech and they'd always mention UVA( UVA is better) but I didn't see it so much the other way around. I believe it was the same for Columbia/NYU as well but not sure. I almost never see anti-BC hate in the BU threads by the way. I admit that BC has a nicer campus but this whole "ugly building" thing is so over played. I didn't know a building's exterior could be such a determining factor in someone's decision.

Insecurities maybe? I don't know just my opinion.

Dana821
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:14 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Dana821 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:50 pm

deleted because people are silly.
Last edited by Dana821 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vtjas81
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby vtjas81 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:04 pm

Dana821 wrote:
kindly keep your opinions to yourself, especially when you know nothing about the rivalry. we have a major hockey rivalry, and we play each other every year many times, including the highly competitive bean pot, and the games are always rowdy and sold out and fun. we're not questioning the quality of their institution, but rather keeping a local athletic rivalry alive with friendly banter, which clearly is above you. boston college is clearly the undergrad winner, and bc law actually places better in boston in big firms, but no one is down playing the quality of education one will receive at bu law. it's people like you who turn it into something more than it is, a testament to YOUR insecurities and lack of knowledge in these matters. if you're calling BC a lesser school you have something wrong with you. if you're solely referring to the law school, they are roughly equal, unless those 4 ranking spots really mean that much to you that you feel somehow falsely superior. if you're talking about the undergrad institutions, which seems more likely due to your uva/vt reference, how about looking at duke/unc? can you say unc trumps that up more than duke just because duke has a higher ranked UG school? i dont think so. its an athletic rivalry. and bc is superior as an UG institution anyway, so either way, if the 'inferior' school is emphasizing the rivalry, i would believe that would be you. you lose. thanks, and kindly leave our BC thread and stick to your BU one.


First, I never knocked BC or anything so don't make assumptions about me.

Second, I am only talking about law school rivalry so your whole post about hockey or undergrad was pointless.

Third, I never said BC was the lesser school.

Fourth,
Dana821 wrote:bc law actually places better in boston in big firms
. If this comforts you in making your decision than so be it. I never talked s*it about BC or anything. In none of my posts you will see that. Now YOU are the one trying to justify BC is the better law school by mentioning job prospects. And I do view them as equals so what is your point?

Fifth, please next time read my post more carefully and keep your emotions in check. I came here surprised by all the BU negativity while the BU class 2011 is free from it. Why is that?

User avatar
ImACuckoo
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:47 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby ImACuckoo » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Wow, there's a lot of animosity flowing in the thread right now. I think just about everyone realizes that BC and BU are roughly equal in regards to legal education. But vtjas, I think the reason you might see more of a rivalry in the BC thread is because very few people are going to be attracted to BU because of things like their hockey program. More students may be attracted to BC because they like the whole collegial atmosphere that BC provides. With that atmosphere often comes an interest in sports and rivalries. Also, I disagree with your rivalry theory. Sometimes it might work out where the lesser school is more into the rivalry, but there are many other great ones that exist that disprove the whole idea.

Everyone relax, you're going to great law schools. Still, I think we all know which is the all around better institution -- facilities, sports, etc. :D

User avatar
Kompressor
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Kompressor » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:28 pm

vtjas81 wrote:Haha this thread is funny. I just started checking out the new replies. This has turned to a anti-BU thread. I'm going to BU this fall and and I couldn't care less for the rivalry. But I noticed one thing about school rivalries. This is my observation so take it for what's worth, but it is usually the lesser school that constantly drum it up. For example, I went to Virginia Tech and they'd always mention UVA( UVA is better) but I didn't see it so much the other way around. I believe it was the same for Columbia/NYU as well but not sure. I almost never see anti-BC hate in the BU threads by the way. I admit that BC has a nicer campus but this whole "ugly building" thing is so over played. I didn't know a building's exterior could be such a determining factor in someone's decision.

Insecurities maybe? I don't know just my opinion.


It was a rivalry and we were having fun with it. If having fun/joking around with the BU/BC rivalry is going to get you upset, you might not want to go to either of the schools. I also hope you don't think you'll be heading to BU and won't be hearing anything about BC from any of them just because you haven't seen anything in a BU thread on this site. You've got another thing coming if those are your expectations.

And, really, if you weren't interested in the rivalry you never would have posted in this thread.

Edit - Now that I look back, I'd like to see exactly where it is that you think this turned into an "anti-BU" thread. There's no reason to take things that are posted as pro-BC as anti-BU. Unless maybe you have some insecurities? I dunno...

User avatar
MMW
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:20 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby MMW » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:31 pm

I suggest we make a joint BU/BC class of 2011 tread.
Last edited by MMW on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

sibarg2
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:29 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby sibarg2 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:33 pm

[quote=]If anyone esle agrees with me, I suggest we make a joint BU/BC class of 2011 tread for the sole reason that we are going to be dealing with the same issues over the upcoming months, and I think it would be a great idea to have a joint meet up in August.[/quote]

...so we can throw rocks and eggs at that school across the river...

User avatar
vtjas81
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby vtjas81 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:39 pm

Kompressor wrote:
It was a rivalry and we were having fun with it. If having fun/joking around with the BU/BC rivalry is going to get you upset, you might not want to go to either of the schools. I also hope you don't think you'll be heading to BU and won't be hearing anything about BC from any of them just because you haven't seen anything in a BU thread on this site. You've got another thing coming if those are your expectations.

And, really, if you weren't interested in the rivalry you never would have posted in this thread.

Edit - Now that I look back, I'd like to see exactly where it is that you think this turned into an "anti-BU" thread. There's no reason to take things that are posted as pro-BC as anti-BU. Unless maybe you have some insecurities? I dunno...



As I mentioned this rivalry I couldn't care less for, you may disagree and that's fine. I just thought it was interesting the trash talk goes mostly one way based on the posts I've read in different forums. I agree there is nothing wrong with a little rivalry. I just wanted to post my opinion, I mean that is what a forum is for right? But then Dana821 gets all emotional with my post. Ok well good luck to everyone at BC!

User avatar
MMW
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:20 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby MMW » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:47 pm

...so we can throw rocks and eggs at that school across the river...

:D
Last edited by MMW on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kompressor
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Postby Kompressor » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:03 pm

vtjas81 wrote:
Kompressor wrote:
It was a rivalry and we were having fun with it. If having fun/joking around with the BU/BC rivalry is going to get you upset, you might not want to go to either of the schools. I also hope you don't think you'll be heading to BU and won't be hearing anything about BC from any of them just because you haven't seen anything in a BU thread on this site. You've got another thing coming if those are your expectations.

And, really, if you weren't interested in the rivalry you never would have posted in this thread.

Edit - Now that I look back, I'd like to see exactly where it is that you think this turned into an "anti-BU" thread. There's no reason to take things that are posted as pro-BC as anti-BU. Unless maybe you have some insecurities? I dunno...



As I mentioned this rivalry I couldn't care less for, you may disagree and that's fine. I just thought it was interesting the trash talk goes mostly one way based on the posts I've read in different forums. I agree there is nothing wrong with a little rivalry. I just wanted to post my opinion, I mean that is what a forum is for right? But then Dana821 gets all emotional with my post. Ok well good luck to everyone at BC!


On these forums you are probably right but, in Boston, it goes both. That being said, it seems fairly amicable to me. It's all in good fun.




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest