Boston College Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
MMW

New

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Post by MMW » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi everyone. So I was pulled off the NW waitlist this week and will be attending. Sorry I wasn't able to join everyone this fall but I wish you all the best.

sibarg2

New

Post by sibarg2 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:23 pm

I am a HUGE Lakers fan.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:48 am

Hey guys, have you registered for classes as yet?
are all of us going to take torts, contracts, property, and legal writing?
anything else?

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:26 pm

cantaboot wrote:Hey guys, have you registered for classes as yet?
are all of us going to take torts, contracts, property, and legal writing?
anything else?
How does one register for courses at this point?

blues86

New

Post by blues86 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi guys, we don't actually register for classes. Our classes, profs, and schedule are preselected based on which section we're in. There are three sections made up of about 75 students, and we all take the same classes with all the kids in our section. We'll have our section number sometime over the summer, which we'll be able to check out on Agora.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blues86

New

Post by blues86 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:38 pm

Oh, also, I think the first semester classes also include Civil Procedure (a full year class) as well as the other four referenced above.

mjk84

New

Post by mjk84 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:36 am

Hey everyone,

I was recently accepted off the waitlist and will hopefully be joining you in the fall (assuming financial aid works out). I have a couple of questions for people, especially those who went to BC undergrad or are familiar with the area. You guys are already talking class registration so I'm freaking out a bit since I have no clue about how to find an apartment/house. I'm also from Minneapolis and currently work full time so I can't exactly take a rid out there to look for places. Have people had success finding other 1L BC roommates? I haven't even got my info packet yet but I assume there is some place where I can look for rommates? At this stage in the game am I pretty much out of luck for finding something that starts Aug 1? Any tips would be appreciated!

Also, I went to Notre Dame undergrad so I apologize to all the BC grads and new BC fans for wearing Irish gear, cheering for the Irish, and for being irrationally optomistic about Notre Dame football. I can't help it.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:24 pm

hey mjk, congrats on BC law! i went to BC undergrad and will be going to bc law, and i'll forgive your irrationial ND loving, if you'll forgive my insane BC loving :D

anyway, theres a roommate finder online, if you go to the bc.edu/law website, its somewhere in there under housing. also, august 1 leases tend to be hard to find just because it's such a college area, so all leases start sept 1. you'll have to look a little harder this late in the game. i would recommend making a weekend trip out to boston because housing quality really varies, so you unless you find a roommate who is willing to do all the legwork, you're gonna want to see the place before you sign anything. also, check out the BC Law school 2011 facebook group, there have been a TON of housing postings on there. people post if theyre looking for a roommate, etc. so you should for sure be able to find something satisfactory for the first year.

and don't worry about classes, i don't know what the person above was talking about, but we are automatically registered for classes later in the summer according to what section we're assigned to, which we don't know yet, so basically that is something we don't have to worry about.

good luck! let me know if you have any other questions!

blues86

New

Post by blues86 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Hey there mjk! Congrats mate, I'm in the same boat as you, getting off the waitlist and all! I don't think the Dana chap read my post correctly, but as she reiterates what I originally mentioned, all of our class schedules are taken care of by BC; that is, we don't actually register for classes, we just check Agora (http://www.agora.bc.edu) at some point this summer and see our section, class times, professors, etc.

If you're looking to room with other BC students, there's a roommate finder thing on http://orl-ws.bc.edu/ocroommates/ where you can search for other BC Law students looking for roommates and post a listing yourself. I don't think you're out of luck at all; in fact, there seem to be endless postings on the Boston-area craigslist for grad students / young professionals looking for roommates. Incidentally, my buddy and I are looking for someone to potentially fill the third bedroom of a 3BR/2 bath place in Newton, five minutes from the law school, so if you're interested, just hit me up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:21 pm

hey blues sorry for the confusion i was actually talking about the person way above (cantaboot i think) who mentioned registering for classes. you were right, they weren't. sorry for not making that clear.

blues86

New

Post by blues86 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:52 pm

No worries mate. On the subject of classes, though, I went to undergrad at BC and I don't know if the system is updated for BC Law students yet, but if it is, you can check Agora on the course selection thing most BC undergrads use to see what classes are available and see when classes are meeting (though, of course, you can't actually register for them). Based on what I saw when I was poking about, it seems like it's hard to avoid having two morning classes (9-1015 then 1030-1145 or thereabouts) or coming in every day. I had a 9 twice a week last semester and I actually got my best studying done after that class, because hey, I'm up, I might as well do something productive, right? It also seems like most classes meet either on MWF or TThF.

This is just what I gathered from a quick glance at the Agora thing, and apologies if I've further confused anyone, haha. If anyone has any questions (I'm not the best at posting on message boards), just let me know and I'll try to be more clear. Cheers fellows

*edited the time to 1030-1145, as opposed to 10-1145

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:08 am

hey I am going to boston in early august. a little homesick and nervous now ... looking forward to seeing you guys in late august, though.
and look for a slim chinese girl with long hair (and a cute smile) ... that is ME! :lol:

mjk84

New

Post by mjk84 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:38 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll take a look at those websites.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sibarg2

New

Post by sibarg2 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:43 am

btw. I went to school in the ACC so I will hate Boston College sports. Can't wait to cheer against them. If there is only one reason you peeps will hate me, it will be because of that.

And cantaboot, looks like Duke isn't looking good right? :?

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:47 am

well I will stay on the waitlist. but location-wise, boston beats durham in every way .... my mom is actually trying to dissuade me from going to duke even if they offer me a place ....
Boston is my top choice for location, and my GPA is not good enough for harvard anyway (unless I got a 180). Come to think of it, I should not whine

anyway, BC has good placement .... just that I would feel less secure than if I were at Duke.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:15 pm

sibarg2 wrote:btw. I went to school in the ACC so I will hate Boston College sports. Can't wait to cheer against them. If there is only one reason you peeps will hate me, it will be because of that.

And cantaboot, looks like Duke isn't looking good right? :?
No, I will hate you because you are a Lakers fan.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:30 pm

BC's really cutting it close with the loan issue, eh? I already did mine because I wanted to avoid something like this and because I was unsure of my credit due to an issue from a few years back. Glad I got it over with, considering the delays.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

VivianKensington

New

Post by VivianKensington » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Kompressor, how did you do the loan processing on your own? I'm getting antsy as well...

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:02 pm

VivianKensington wrote:Kompressor, how did you do the loan processing on your own? I'm getting antsy as well...
They only let me do it because I was scared of a credit issue. It ended up not being a problem, but I was advised to do it a month early in case there was an issue. I'm not sure if they'll let you?

To make you feel better, I was alerted 30 seconds into my call that I got the loan so it's not a long process at all. BC updated my Agora the next day I think.

VivianKensington

New

Post by VivianKensington » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:03 pm

OK, thanks for the info. Hopefully they will get whatever system up and running soon so we can all move forward. I'm not worried about getting approved as much as I just want it done! Trying to orchestrate everything necessary for a big move and starting school is so time consuming and stressful!

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi everyone,
Since I won't be in Boston this fall I am looking for someone to take over my lease. I have a 1 bedroom apartment at 1840 Commonwealth Ave. for 1250 a month. It is right where Commonwealth Ave. merges with Chestnut hill. Both the B line and the BC shuttle stop a half a block away. It is really an ideal location for a BC law student. I also has plenty of street parking. The lease starts September 1st, but I am leaving in August 18th, so you could move in on the 18th and have the rest of the month rent free. If the 18th won't work for you I could leave a few days earlier if needed. I know most of you already have housing for the fall, but perhaps someone here is still looking. PM me if you are interested. I can also send pics of the place.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:28 pm

hey MMW i strongly recommend posting that in the facebook BC Law 2011 group as well. Lots of people have been on there looking for housing/offering housing.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:15 pm

Has anyone been to/used the gym facilities at BC undergrad? I assume that we will have access and am wondering if they're ample or if I'll need to sign up and pay for a gym off-campus.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:28 pm

Last edited by Dana821 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 pm

Dana821 wrote:the gym is horrendous. i really can't stress that enough. horrible, an embarrassment to the BC name. if you can afford it i recommend using an off campus gym.
That sucks, especially considering that BC has some pretty good sports teams. Thanks for the info.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”