Boston College Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Dana821

New

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Post by Dana821 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:26 pm

Last edited by Dana821 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 am

Are there any other gyms in the area of the school? Something like a BSC would be ideal, but any nice gym that isn't ridiculously expensive should be fine.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 pm

I'm sure there is, I've never looked for one because I used ours for free as an undergrad. There's a YMCA not too far, I think in Brighton Center or something like that. You might just want to go to their website (BSC, or whoever) and check out their locations.

blues86

New

Post by blues86 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Hey there Kompressor, the plex really isn't all that bad. There are four or five full-court basketball courts, a bunch of racquetball courts that you can reserve, five or six tennis courts inside and another five or six outside that you can reserve (although if you want a court inside, you have to be flexible, as a lot of the teams use the courts to practise), and there are a ton of cardio machines (ellipticals, treadmills, bikes). There are also four or five flat benches, a decline bench and two incline benches. There are also three or four full sets of dumbells so even if two other people are lifting the same weights as you, there will still be a set of dumbells available. There has been a problem with waiting for equipment (especially the cardio machines, and specifically the ellipticals since all the girls seem to love that machine), so this past year they shortened the track (1/8th of a mile now) and got rid of a tennis court and put more cardio machines and weight machines on the main level (most of the cardio stuff is upstairs). There's also a big section of mats, medicine balls, and pylo balls (the big soft balls that you can sit on) so you can do your ab and core stuff. It also has a big pool that's almost always available to use and in the pool area, there's a hot tub and a sick diving pool with two or three height levels of boards that you can jump off of. The men's locker room is also pretty solid (big showers, plenty of lockers, bathroom, sauna).

I was in the plex just about every day this past school year and if you pick your spots (anytime not between 4-6pm), you won't have a problem getting your workout in without having to wait around for stuff to use. It has a bad reputation, especially among those who just use the plex for the cardio stuff (there's a great running path around a reservoir right by the plex that's 1.8 miles per lap so if it's nice, a lot of people will choose to run out there), but like I said, I was there almost every day last year and while it's not as good as the gym I go to at home (the stuff is just as nice, it's just more people are using it at the plex), it's still pretty solid. It's definitely not terrible. Also, the people who work there are great, and you can get all sorts of free fitness analysis stuff (body fat, endurance, training sessions, customized workout plans, whatever).

Honestly mate, I'm definitely going back to the plex when school starts back up, and I suggest you do the same; it's way better than paying for a sports club that definitely doesn't have all the amenities the plex has. However, if you want to check one of those out, there's a BSC on Washington Street right between Foster Street and Lake Street (seven minute drive from the law school, two minutes from main campus).

blues86

New

Post by blues86 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:37 pm

Oh, also, you can check out the plex and see what sort of stuff it has at bc.edu/plex. I forgot in the previous post, but they also have a ton of classes and clinics as well. I played a sport at BC and after practise some days, a bunch of us would go to yoga which was a great way to stretch out and wind down.

Again, the plex is not even close to an embarrassment to BC. Sure, it could be better, but it's way better now than it was when I first went there as a freshman in '04. The people working there really seem to take pride in the plex, and they're always making improvements here and there. One more thing - the hours are great, especially if you're planning on working out at early/late hours sometimes if you're doing a lot of studying (they're open 6am-1145pm).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:24 pm

Oh, that's awesome. Most of what I do I just need space for (jump roping) and free weights with flat benches. It would make me quite happy if I did not have to spend $60/month plus a couple hundred in application fees to use a gym.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:41 am

Last edited by Dana821 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

blues86

New

Post by blues86 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:01 am

The plex really isn't that small, and I also don't think it's populated with "grunting wannabe jocks" or "crazy bulemic girls" (way to talk about your classmates, btw). I think some of the plex' drawbacks are being way overexaggerated here. The size of the plex is fairly big and they just added more space this year for more weight and cardio machines. It might seem small when everyone (including all the freshmen who come down to work out and then grab dinner at lower) heads down there after their 3pm class to work out or play bball until dinner.

Also, the people who work out at the plex are perfectly fine people and whenever I was working out alone, I can't think of one time where someone wasn't happy to give me a spot.

I don't think I'm the only BC student to defend the plex. If it was really all that bad, why would so many students use it, right? I'm not saying it's the best gym ever, it definitely isn't, but it does get an unfair reputation when it's a pretty decent gym with tons of amenities (now that I think about it though, it really is always hot in there, but they have big industrial fans that you can go stand by which helps a little).

Also, the plex has plenty of sign-up lists (to get the tennis courts, for example) and intermurals for hoops are generally at night and go on for a month once (maybe twice now?) a year.

Anyways, maybe it's a preference thing, but I don't mind the plex at all, and some of the stuff they have, you won't find at a regular membership gym anywhere else.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 am

300/year for the gym is a great price. Student prices at nice gyms are usually twice that. I guess I'll have to check it out for myself when I get up there. I assume it's open year round, yes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:05 am

yes it's open year round. take a look for yourself when you're up there. maybe they improved it dramatically in the year since i've been there...

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:41 am

blues86 wrote:(way to talk about your classmates, btw).
i think it's safe to say that every school has people like that. i was picking extreme examples, clearly, not everyone is like that, nor is everyone at BC like that, nor is everyone who uses the plex like that. way to try to make me look like an a**hole for sharing a distaste for the plex and trying to paint a characature (sp?) of a few samples of people who use it regularly, and who will undoubtedly be there, given their lengthy stays...silly.

and to your question of why so many students use the plex if it's that bad? it's the school's gym on campus, and it's free. where else would people go?

sorry if i offended you for some reason by dissing the plex. of course there are up-sides to the plex. maybe i just never got over the ugliness of the building. everyone should just come to their own conclusions and check it out for themselves since we seem to represent the two extremes. maybe i didn't take advantage of all the amenities you're talking about b/c i was just looking for IM bball, a treadmill, somewhere to stretch and do abs, and some weights. not go to yoga classes, sit in saunas, and play tennis, which might influence our differing opinions. we also just may have different standards from gym experiences back home. i mean, my high school gym was amazing, as is the local YMCA, which colored my original perception of the plex. I also probably went at the most popular times since i'm not an early riser, so it was always crowded for me, probably less-so for you. I also had higher expectations from seeing other schools gyms, ours just hasn't been updated in awhile, which is why they're tearing it down soon.

anyway, no use in beating this to death, sorry to everyone who witnessed this discussion.

in summation: there is a gym, it is fine, it has gym stuff in it, we pay $300/year for it, go check it out when you get up there, it's on the lower part of the main campus in the middle, pretty hard to miss.

Gus Chiggins

New

Post by Gus Chiggins » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:26 pm

BU's gym is pretty nice....

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Gus Chiggins wrote:BU's gym is pretty nice....
Probably has something to do with the top tier sports teams over there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gus Chiggins

New

Post by Gus Chiggins » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:37 pm

let's let our intermural softball teams speak for our respective athletic programs when we face off.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:06 pm

Gus Chiggins wrote:let's let our intermural softball teams speak for our respective athletic programs when we face off.
You got it. I'll be number 9 or 45.

mjk84

New

Post by mjk84 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Question for BC grads and those familiar with the Brighton area: Let's say someone was moving out to school with nothing except his clothes, a computer, and a bed, where would you say they could find reasonably priced furniture? I'm talking a couch, desk, chair, small dining table, ect.

blues86

New

Post by blues86 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Hey mjk84, you might want to check the free listings on craigslist. I got a pretty sweet desk and a decent coffee table from people listing stuff there. You can find lots of furniture there, but the only thing is that you'll need to pick it up from wherever. If you find something and need help moving it, I actually have a truck, so hit me up if you do find anything you like. Cheers mate

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:57 am

mjk84 wrote:Question for BC grads and those familiar with the Brighton area: Let's say someone was moving out to school with nothing except his clothes, a computer, and a bed, where would you say they could find reasonably priced furniture? I'm talking a couch, desk, chair, small dining table, ect.
Bob's!

If only we had won last year we could have gotten a ton of free furniture after the Sox won the World Series.

:(

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:08 pm

mjk84 wrote:Question for BC grads and those familiar with the Brighton area: Let's say someone was moving out to school with nothing except his clothes, a computer, and a bed, where would you say they could find reasonably priced furniture? I'm talking a couch, desk, chair, small dining table, ect.
I haven't gone to law school yet but I did spend a lot of time in Boston as an undergrad. There are a ton of small furniture shops on Harvard Avenue in the Brighton/Allston Area. If you pass by that liquor store (I think it is called Mike's) at the coner of Common and Harvard (there is a T stop there) and you walk towards the bars at the end of the street you should see a couple of smaller furniture stores.

mjk84

New

Post by mjk84 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:58 am

Wow, thanks for all the responses. That info will be very helpful in the next few weeks. I'm now feeling slightly less overwhelmed.

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:38 pm

hi, guys, I am now in Boston.
forgotten where to pick up my student ID card. do you know where to pick it up?
another thing: is the student orientation held on 25 Aug?
what about fall classes? do we all get the information via email?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kmoneys

New

Post by kmoneys » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:40 am

hey guys, welcome to BC. i'll be a 2L in the fall. i was active on TLS back when i was applying to law school and many of us ended up at BC. i don't read TLS that much anymore, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
hi, guys, I am now in Boston.
forgotten where to pick up my student ID card. do you know where to pick it up?
another thing: is the student orientation held on 25 Aug?
what about fall classes? do we all get the information via email?
you pick up your ID card in lyons hall on the undergrad campus
orientation starts on August 25. it will go all day.
the administration automatically schedules your classes for you. you will get info via email but i think admissions has already sent out on info packet to everyone via mail.

if you haven't already joined your class's facebook group, you should. my class used it a lot to plan get togethers leading up to the law school. there are two upcoming happy hours: one this thursday and one next thursday. i won't be at the one this thursday since i'm still out of town working my summer job, but i hope to make next thursday's happy hour if i'm back in time from new york and not too exhausted from job interviews.

anyway, congrats again! you'll love BC. you've made a great choice.

wahoowa86

New

Post by wahoowa86 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:18 am

Hey everyone! I was just accepted off the waitlist yesterday and quickly rearranged everything so I could come! I have seen a few housing posts on here but was wondering if anyone was still looking for a roommate. Also, does anyone have any advice on where to live? There are so many options on craigslist and I don't know how to narrow them down. Ideally I am flying up next Wed and moving in somewhere before the weekend. Can't wait to meet all of you!

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:39 pm

I just found out my section no. how come i am only registered in 4 classes (tort, contracts, property & civil procedure)? arent we suppposed to be in the legal writing class as well?

cantaboot

Bronze

Post by cantaboot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:47 pm

ok i found out the timetable for all 5 classes.
another question for 2L:
is there no final exam for civil procedure at the end of the fall semester? I could only find 3 exam dates (for torts, contract, propoerty)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”