Boston College Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Dana821

New

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Post by Dana821 » Sun May 11, 2008 4:06 pm

im living in brighton near cleveland circle on sutherland. we actually have a lease that starts july 1st or 15th (havent heard from the landlord yet about that) even though neither of us will be up there that early (lame). there were very few reasonable august 1st move ins. everything was a bit more expensive then we were hoping for.

and when i said i bought out the bookstore, i meant fun stuff, like car stickers and sweats and stuff. i really meant what i said before about not reading anything school related until school starts haha.

ImACuckoo

New

Post by ImACuckoo » Mon May 12, 2008 1:22 am

The bookstore on the Newton campus is pretty lame and creepy. For anyone who hasn't been there, it's in the not-so-amazing building next door and down through some hallways and such. Not much of a selection of anything, but I'm sure there's a better one somewhere. I got a BC law shirt there that was way too long but fit normally everywhere else. It shrunk in the dryer and now has that borderline too tight look to it. Oh well, I'll be buying more BC stuff soon enough.

Dana, what's your definition of reasonable and how many bedrooms were you looking for? I'm going to try and make my way up in early June and hope I can find a good August 1 move-in.

Sooo, anyone know about sports tickets? Dana? You seem to know just about everything.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 am

ImACuckoo wrote:The bookstore on the Newton campus is pretty lame and creepy. For anyone who hasn't been there, it's in the not-so-amazing building next door and down through some hallways and such. Not much of a selection of anything, but I'm sure there's a better one somewhere. I got a BC law shirt there that was way too long but fit normally everywhere else. It shrunk in the dryer and now has that borderline too tight look to it. Oh well, I'll be buying more BC stuff soon enough.
hey. yeah the bookstore is really crappy compared to the undergrad one, but it's also a bit less expensive. the selection is limited, but whatever, i still plan to rock the bc law gear. the regular bc bookstore on main campus is really nice, but doesn't sell bc law stuff.
ImACuckoo wrote:Dana, what's your definition of reasonable and how many bedrooms were you looking for? I'm going to try and make my way up in early June and hope I can find a good August 1 move-in.
i was looking for a 2 bedroom with my roommate, and we are both going to have cars, and we were hoping to find a place with 2 parking spaces (whether they came with the apt, or we had to rent separately) for a grand total of 900 per person or less, with an august 1 move in. we were looking in brighton, brookline, and allston. we found a place that fit our description, but it was so far away from public transportation, that we really thought no one would visit us and we'd have a hard time going out ever b/c there was no T near by, so we'd have to drive everywhere, so that place was eliminated.

we looked at about 10 places with 3 different realtors (there are about 150 realty companies on comm ave in brighton/allston), and they all told us august 1 would be hard, and said if we could do sept 1 it would open whole new doors for us, so we emphasized over and over that sept 1 would leave us homeless for at least a week b/c classes start in august. they never seemed to quite grasp that.

anyway, we found a place in brighton, price was good, but as of right now we havent rented parking spots, we're hoping something a bit cheaper presents itself. if we rent the spots we can now, we will be paying a total of about 940/month, which is more than we were hoping for, but whatever, we'll figure it out im sure. plus our lease starts either july 1 or 15, i should be hearing from them today regarding the date. so ill have it for at least 2 weeks when i won't be up there full-time, but again. whatever. we'll deal with it haha.
ImACuckoo wrote:Sooo, anyone know about sports tickets? Dana? You seem to know just about everything.
you can buy season tickets for all the sports on bceagles.com. right now i think only football tix are on sale already. im not 100% sure if there's a grad student discount (im leaning towards no) but i plan to call them within the next few days to find out, and i'll post their response. there are student tickets, but for some reason i think they may be referring solely to u-grad students. i know they have an alumni discount, but that's not really applicable for most of you...

sorry for the uber-long post. let me know if you have any other questions.

GoodnessMe

New

Post by GoodnessMe » Thu May 15, 2008 10:52 pm

hey, do you of you double eagles know about how the apts in houses in newton are? im looking at them now and just wondering if they have a reputation as overpriced/annoying/great/anything

thanks!

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Mon May 19, 2008 4:33 pm

hey, do you of you double eagles know about how the apts in houses in newton are? im looking at them now and just wondering if they have a reputation as overpriced/annoying/great/anything
I am not a double eagle but my girlfriend had an apartment in Newton for a couple of years. She said it was difficult finding apartments in Newton in general because most of the town is expensive houses. There just aren't many buildings that have apartments. I don't have any experience personally, but that is what she told me. She lived in this old house that the owner sectioned off into apartments. I think it was at 1040 Chestnut Street. I see it pop up on craigslist once and a while. I say this because you should definitely not waste your time looking at this place. The whole building was dilapidated, it had mice, no real heating system, and the owner wouldn't fix anything.

I personally went apartment hunting this weekend and found a great place on Comm. Ave. right where it merges with Chestnut Hill. I spent two days looking at one horrible apartment after another and was beginning to lose hope. My problem was that I was looking for a lease that starts on August 1st and it seems like every apartment in the Alston/Brighton area starts on September first. I sort of knew this before, but it really hit home when I went from broker to broker and they all rolled their eyes at me when I said I wanted a place for August. One place wouldn't even show me anything. The first thing everyone said was "can you do September instead?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sibarg2

New

Post by sibarg2 » Mon May 19, 2008 4:42 pm

MMW wrote:
I am not a double eagle but my girlfriend had an apartment in Newton for a couple of years. She said it was difficult finding apartments in Newton in general because most of the town is expensive houses. There just aren't many buildings that have apartments. I don't have any experience personally, but that is what she told me. She lived in this old house that the owner sectioned off into apartments. I think it was at 1040 Chestnut Street. I see it pop up on craigslist once and a while. I say this because you should definitely not waste your time looking at this place. The whole building was dilapidated, it had mice, no real heating system, and the owner wouldn't fix anything.

I personally went apartment hunting this weekend and found a great place on Comm. Ave. right where it merges with Chestnut Hill. I spent two days looking at one horrible apartment after another and was beginning to lose hope. My problem was that I was looking for a lease that starts on August 1st and it seems like every apartment in the Alston/Brighton area starts on September first. I sort of knew this before, but it really hit home when I went from broker to broker and they all rolled their eyes at me when I said I wanted a place for August. One place wouldn't even show me anything. The first thing everyone said was "can you do September instead?"

how much did it cost?

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Mon May 19, 2008 5:21 pm

MMW wrote:I personally went apartment hunting this weekend and found a great place on Comm. Ave. right where it merges with Chestnut Hill. I spent two days looking at one horrible apartment after another and was beginning to lose hope. My problem was that I was looking for a lease that starts on August 1st and it seems like every apartment in the Alston/Brighton area starts on September first. I sort of knew this before, but it really hit home when I went from broker to broker and they all rolled their eyes at me when I said I wanted a place for August. One place wouldn't even show me anything. The first thing everyone said was "can you do September instead?"
yeah august 1st was a huge bitch to find. realtors didn't seem to understand the whole 'classes start in august' thing and kept wanting to push our lease back to sept 1. it was a pain. we finally had to settle for a july 15th lease. not the end of the world, but not ideal either.

and that's a great location (comm ave/chestnut hill ave), pretty much in the middle of everything. i knew some people who lived there undergrad. do you know if your landlord only rents to grad students? we tried to find apartments that didn't let undergrads in. parking is difficult, but if you have no car or a resident permit, it's great.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Mon May 19, 2008 5:56 pm

I have closed on a large room inside a house with a current 1L there and two other people for $850/month in Newton. It's a really sweet deal.

SLAMMA LAMMA DING DONG!

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Mon May 19, 2008 6:26 pm

how much did it cost?
1250 a month. I will be splitting it with my girlfriend, thank god.
do you know if your landlord only rents to grad students?
I don't know. The property manager showed us the apartment and asked what we did, but I don't know if that means anything. I know that some of the other units in the building are condos, so I imagine they are not big on renting to undergrads. I currently live in an apartment in Brookline and the owners (Fineberg Management) don't rent to undergrads. We almost weren't able to rent the apartment because when I signed the lease I still had a few months of undergrad left. I know Fineberg has buildings all over Brookline/Alston/Brighton so anyone here looking for an apartment might want to check out their listings. I also know that Fineberg is known for the fact that they structure their leases so they have leases that end on every month of the year. In fact, my current apartment isn't rented yet, so if anyone is looking for a one bedroom apartment in Washington Square for 1375 a month let me know. I have nothing but good things to say about the place and Fineberg. The location and condition of the apartment couldn't be better.

Also, check out this apartment:
--LinkRemoved--
Once I saw the add I frantically started making phone calls trying to find out how I could sign the lease that day. Unfortunately, it was rented just hours before I called. The place is right on the B line and has washer and dryer in the unit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jobu2378

New

Post by jobu2378 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:56 pm

hey all. i realize most people want newton/brighton/allston but for those that might want something else...

if you don't require public transportation check out watertown. it's only 5-10 mins from campus and the rents are ALOT lower than newton. my fiancee and i just signed on a ridiculously nice (huge and well equipped) 2br for $1500 and there's alot of cheaper stuff out there. it's also less of a transient area, so you're not stuck with the june 1/sept 1 crap and douchy realtors and their fees. almost all apartments have off street parking as well...

JP is relatively close (20 mins or so depending on where), hip, funky and certainly more urban than watertown and you can find fairly decent rents there as well. it also has a sizeable gay population if that is of any importance.

roslindale/west roxbury are about 15-20 mins away and cheap as hell. They're not particularly close to downtown/harvard ave/brighton etc, and they're more suburb like if that's something you're looking for. this area is similar to watertown in that you can get by without the june/sept garbage and most places will have parking.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:22 am

Don't forget the second deposit is due june 5th! next week! for $400. :)

just a helpful reminder for those of your still lurking on tls...

Player30

New

Post by Player30 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:20 pm

Dana821 wrote:
vtjas81 wrote:Haha this thread is funny. I just started checking out the new replies. This has turned to a anti-BU thread. I'm going to BU this fall and and I couldn't care less for the rivalry. But I noticed one thing about school rivalries. This is my observation so take it for what's worth, but it is usually the lesser school that constantly drum it up. For example, I went to Virginia Tech and they'd always mention UVA( UVA is better) but I didn't see it so much the other way around. I believe it was the same for Columbia/NYU as well but not sure. I almost never see anti-BC hate in the BU threads by the way. I admit that BC has a nicer campus but this whole "ugly building" thing is so over played. I didn't know a building's exterior could be such a determining factor in someone's decision.

Insecurities maybe? I don't know just my opinion.
kindly keep your opinions to yourself, especially when you know nothing about the rivalry. we have a major hockey rivalry, and we play each other every year many times, including the highly competitive bean pot, and the games are always rowdy and sold out and fun. we're not questioning the quality of their institution, but rather keeping a local athletic rivalry alive with friendly banter, which clearly is above you. boston college is clearly the undergrad winner, and bc law actually places better in boston in big firms, but no one is down playing the quality of education one will receive at bu law. it's people like you who turn it into something more than it is, a testament to YOUR insecurities and lack of knowledge in these matters. if you're calling BC a lesser school you have something wrong with you. if you're solely referring to the law school, they are roughly equal, unless those 4 ranking spots really mean that much to you that you feel somehow falsely superior. if you're talking about the undergrad institutions, which seems more likely due to your uva/vt reference, how about looking at duke/unc? can you say unc trumps that up more than duke just because duke has a higher ranked UG school? i dont think so. its an athletic rivalry. and bc is superior as an UG institution anyway, so either way, if the 'inferior' school is emphasizing the rivalry, i would believe that would be you. you lose. thanks, and kindly leave our BC thread and stick to your BU one.

to all other future bu law students: congrats, youre going to a very good school in a great area, and i wish you the best of luck in your legal studies, and maybe we'll run across each other at a terrier/eagle hockey game, where the rivalry belongs.

You actually seem nice otherwise, but in this thread completely proved his point as immature, rude, and childish. Also, I'm not sure how you managed a 168 LSAT, but I certainly don't gather it by how you write. Might want to take that extra half-second and capitalize your sentences.

GoodnessMe

New

Post by GoodnessMe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:27 am

Player30 wrote:Also, I'm not sure how you managed a 168 LSAT, but I certainly don't gather it by how you write. Might want to take that extra half-second and capitalize your sentences.
.... really? You posted to say that?

If you're going to criticize grammar, your sentence is missing a necessary pronoun, but I didn't exactly think that a BC Law Forum was the time and place. Good to know. I'll make sure to correct everyone on the board now. Looks like a long night ahead for me. :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:53 am

Player30 wrote:
Dana821 wrote:
vtjas81 wrote:Haha this thread is funny. I just started checking out the new replies. This has turned to a anti-BU thread. I'm going to BU this fall and and I couldn't care less for the rivalry. But I noticed one thing about school rivalries. This is my observation so take it for what's worth, but it is usually the lesser school that constantly drum it up. For example, I went to Virginia Tech and they'd always mention UVA( UVA is better) but I didn't see it so much the other way around. I believe it was the same for Columbia/NYU as well but not sure. I almost never see anti-BC hate in the BU threads by the way. I admit that BC has a nicer campus but this whole "ugly building" thing is so over played. I didn't know a building's exterior could be such a determining factor in someone's decision.

Insecurities maybe? I don't know just my opinion.
kindly keep your opinions to yourself, especially when you know nothing about the rivalry. we have a major hockey rivalry, and we play each other every year many times, including the highly competitive bean pot, and the games are always rowdy and sold out and fun. we're not questioning the quality of their institution, but rather keeping a local athletic rivalry alive with friendly banter, which clearly is above you. boston college is clearly the undergrad winner, and bc law actually places better in boston in big firms, but no one is down playing the quality of education one will receive at bu law. it's people like you who turn it into something more than it is, a testament to YOUR insecurities and lack of knowledge in these matters. if you're calling BC a lesser school you have something wrong with you. if you're solely referring to the law school, they are roughly equal, unless those 4 ranking spots really mean that much to you that you feel somehow falsely superior. if you're talking about the undergrad institutions, which seems more likely due to your uva/vt reference, how about looking at duke/unc? can you say unc trumps that up more than duke just because duke has a higher ranked UG school? i dont think so. its an athletic rivalry. and bc is superior as an UG institution anyway, so either way, if the 'inferior' school is emphasizing the rivalry, i would believe that would be you. you lose. thanks, and kindly leave our BC thread and stick to your BU one.

to all other future bu law students: congrats, youre going to a very good school in a great area, and i wish you the best of luck in your legal studies, and maybe we'll run across each other at a terrier/eagle hockey game, where the rivalry belongs.

You actually seem nice otherwise, but in this thread completely proved his point as immature, rude, and childish. Also, I'm not sure how you managed a 168 LSAT, but I certainly don't gather it by how you write. Might want to take that extra half-second and capitalize your sentences.
There's a scored writing section on the LSAT? Maybe that's why I didn't get a 180. Yeah, I'll go with that.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:02 am

what in the hell is going on here?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:49 am

neskerdoo wrote:what in the hell is going on here?
You better learn to capitalize before you post in the same thread as the Great Player30, you ruffian. :roll:
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibarg2

New

Post by sibarg2 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:39 am

Anybody know of any place I can get for under a thousand?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:07 am

sibarg2 wrote:Anybody know of any place I can get for under a thousand?
Single bedroom? I'm living in a 4 BR house in Newton in the master bed for ~$1,000 with utilities. Spllitting a house is probably the best way.

sibarg2

New

Post by sibarg2 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:16 am

yeah single bedroom I guess. I'll be spending my time in the law library anyway...

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:20 am

sibarg2 wrote:yeah single bedroom I guess. I'll be spending my time in the law library anyway...
If you'll be spending time in a library then why not live in a house for cheaper?

sibarg2

New

Post by sibarg2 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:23 am

That's what I meant...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:45 pm

Player30

New

Post by Player30 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:46 pm

The capitalizing thing wasn't the main point of my post, the main point was pointing out Dana's needless attitude and defensiveness, pretty much completely proving the other guy's point that it really is about insecurity. The moronic trend of not capitalizing sentences was just a side note, (generally annoying people do it).

I say this knowing that BC is the better undergrad as far as academics and certainly sports and that it's arguably the better law school.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Player30 wrote:You actually seem nice otherwise, but in this thread completely proved his point as immature, rude, and childish. Also, I'm not sure how you managed a 168 LSAT, but I certainly don't gather it by how you write. Might want to take that extra half-second and capitalize your sentences.

I wasn't aware I had to follow some exalted grammatical standard for forum posting. I sincerely apologize.

Not that I should feel the need to defend myself, but I was replying to what I thought was an attack on BC, and yes, I was defending us and our friendly BU rivalry. Two unfortunate events occurred: 1) I put too much emphasis on VT's criticism where he likely meant no harm, and was probably trying to provoke a response, and he got more than he bargained for, for which I apologize; and then 2) everyone felt the need to attack me, including yourself (btw, who are you and what do you have to do with this situation?) and I have since deleted my post but it lives on in the quotes of others. If people don't mind deleting those posts, that would solve things, but if that's too much trouble, let's all move on from a discussion that took place like 6 weeks ago.

Again, sincerest apologies if I did not use correct grammar in my above post.
Last edited by Dana821 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:37 pm

sibarg2 wrote:That's what I meant...
hey it's definitely possible to find housing with utilities under 1000, however you will have to find a roommate, or live by yourself a considerable distance from the law school. There are plenty of 2+ bedrooms in brighton, allston, some in brookline, and certainly in watertown and other further away suburbs. Check out the BC roommate finder if you don't know anyone else in the area to live with.

Take a look at craigslist for apartments. Most realtors in the area post their ads on there. It will at least give you some realtor's names who you can contact for a showing.

http://boston.craigslist.org/aap/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”