Boston College Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Kompressor

Bronze

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Post by Kompressor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:55 pm

The BC undergrad is across from the cemetery. The law school is not...it's surrounded by big a$$ houses that would motivate the money hungry law students every day on their way to class...

Correct. The BC Law campus is unbelievably beautiful and serene. It's located next to giant estates and ridiculous private schools and a quick walk through the back woods on campus takes you to a park.

As for career prospects, BC will be better in Boston for you than BU and is better overall for Biglaw because of its highly respected legal writing branch (52% of the 2006 grads worked at large law firms), but if you want to do IP outside of Boston then BU would probably be the better choice. If you want to do IP in Boston it's probably a toss-up.

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:07 pm

sibarg2 wrote:The BC undergrad is across from the cemetery. The law school is not...it's surrounded by big a$$ houses that would motivate the money hungry law students every day on their way to class...
My hs used to play bball against the schools around there so have been around many many times (my hs is also next to a cementery...yikes). I also took my LSAT at BC law school and used the cementery as a marker. I know it's there.
I don't know about the motivation piece of all that..especially for a city- lover!

Like I've been saying, BC is one of my favs (though still now word..), but loved location of NYU and BU much more.
Last edited by boston101 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryuuza

New

Post by Ryuuza » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:09 pm

Very true, plus BU's law school seems very run down in comparison to BC. I visited both and was sorely disappointed with BU. It really reminded me of my days in public high school in NYC. Old buildings and way too many people in a limited space. You can see this in the fact that only a few (the largest) classrooms were wired with power for laptops. But I think the worst impression I had was the library. It's hard to describe if you haven't seen it, but it really seemed small and run down, especially the lower level amongst the stacks and the study spaces.

In comparison, BC smelled like money. Everything was relatively new and highly wired. The library was bright and clean.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:14 pm

yeah no cemetary by BC Law. it's next to nice houses, 2 middle/high schools, and a center for the blind, and a park. if you want to be in the middle of the city, suburban BC isnt for you. but if you want to be a short ride from the city, but in a really great suburb, with lots of green space and pretty-ness, BC is the place.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:17 pm

sorry about the repeat answer, everyone else answered while i was typing eek :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:25 pm

boston101 wrote:
sibarg2 wrote:The BC undergrad is across from the cemetery. The law school is not...it's surrounded by big a$$ houses that would motivate the money hungry law students every day on their way to class...
My hs used to play bball against the schools around there so have been around many many times (my hs is also next to a cementery...yikes). I also took my LSAT at BC law school and used the cementery as a marker. I know it's there.
I don't know about the motivation piece of all that..especially for a city- lover!

Like I've been saying, BC is one of my favs (though still now word..), but loved location of NYU and BU much more.
Are you sure you're not confusing a seminary and a cemetary? The campus is right next to St. John's Seminary...

boston101

New

Post by boston101 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:37 pm

Kompressor wrote:
boston101 wrote:

Are you sure you're not confusing a seminary and a cemetary? The campus is right next to St. John's Seminary...

oh really?! Across the street (from the main entrance) is not a cementary? For 10 years Ive thought that was a cementary. Wow, I'm an idiot. But, it's good to know. I'll go drive by after work or tomorrow and try to figure out why I'm so confused. Sorry for the misinformation...
:oops:

I am right about it being surburban though...that I'm sure of. :P
I actually wish it were in the location of ug because I find that more convenient and central.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:43 pm

boston101 wrote:
Kompressor wrote:
boston101 wrote:

oh really?! Across the street (from the main entrance) is not a cementary? For 10 years Ive thought that was a cementary. Wow, I'm an idiot. But, it's good to know. I'll go drive by after work or tomorrow and try to figure out why I'm so confused. Sorry for the misinformation...
:oops:

I am right about it being surburban though...that I'm sure of. :P
I actually wish it were in the location of ug because I find that more convenient and central.
Oh, no problem. Heck, maybe it is, but if it is it certainly didn't look like it to me. Yeah, it really depends on one's preference. I prefer to live in the suburbs and to be able to commute to the city whenever, especially for law school.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:01 pm

yeah right across from the bottom entrance to main campus is a big ass cemetary. lots of dorms look out over it. kinda creepy.
but as far as i remember the Newton Law campus is cemetary free. across the street is some sort of field.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sibarg2

New

Post by sibarg2 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:03 pm

a dude at my table was interested in starting a flag football league. Maybe he could use that field...

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:08 pm

yeah there are actually athletic fields on the bc law campus that are used for ugrad field hockey and soccer and stuff so theres pleny of space for a flag football league.

but only if you let girls play. cuz i'd totaly be down.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:17 pm

Dana821 wrote:yeah there are actually athletic fields on the bc law campus that are used for ugrad field hockey and soccer and stuff so theres pleny of space for a flag football league.

Just so you know, if you wear your Yankees hat it's turning into tackle.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Kompressor wrote:
Dana821 wrote:yeah there are actually athletic fields on the bc law campus that are used for ugrad field hockey and soccer and stuff so theres pleny of space for a flag football league.

Just so you know, if you wear your Yankees hat it's turning into tackle.

hahahahaha

(while i did find that very amusing, this is my sneaky way of bumping this thread also b/c theres gotta be more BC love on tls)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:18 pm

we need more bc love here.

VivianKensington

New

Post by VivianKensington » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:51 pm

I may be joining you guys at BC this fall! Ironically, I attended the BU open house today and really enjoyed it. But when I returned to my hotel and checked email, I had a nice scholarship from BC waiting in my inbox. Just the right amount to sway me from Kenmore Square to Newton. I am visiting the BC Law campus Monday and that should close the deal! There's nothing like cutting it close to the seat deposit deadline, right?!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:55 am

National Champions, Boston College NCAA Hockey.

Titletown, USA.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:53 pm

Vivian: let us know how your visit goes today! im sure you'll love it more than bu :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

VivianKensington

New

Post by VivianKensington » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:13 am

The visit was great - my check is going in the mail tomorrow! Yay!

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 am

VivianKensington wrote:The visit was great - my check is going in the mail tomorrow! Yay!
W00t!

TLS drink-night in Boston/Newton in August ftw!

Don't forget to throw your name into the TLS class of 2011 thread.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:22 pm

yay another BC-er.

and i am all over a tls drink night in august.

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:30 am

I put down my deposit at BC today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tamtam

New

Post by tamtam » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:31 am

I'm jealous of this thread.. I started one for BU 2011 some time ago.. EMPTY~~! *lol*

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:10 pm

MMW wrote:I put down my deposit at BC today.

woohoo welcome to the club.

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:13 pm

I would definitely be up for a TLS drink night some time in August. I live in Boston and from what I can gather Kompressor does too, so perhaps anytime over the summer would work too.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:34 pm

MMW wrote:I would definitely be up for a TLS drink night some time in August. I live in Boston and from what I can gather Kompressor does too, so perhaps anytime over the summer would work too.
not that im a crazy BC-loving stalker or anything, but i believe kompressor is in DC now, and i'm in NY, so we'll be moving up there in august, at which time we will drink our faces off for the month or so before school actually starts, before we have to forego the pleasures of alcohol for big expensive books (at least a few nights a week).

ps: what are you up to in boston? did you go to school up there?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”