Brooklyn Law School 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
chris3e43

New

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011

Post by chris3e43 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:38 pm

I got my housing assignment last Wednesday, but I applied after the housing deadline. Part of my scholarship package is housing guaranteed for 3 years...so that might explain why I have heard.

I got a studio on Peirrepont Place! :) I am pumped I got my own place. Anyone know anything about Pierrepont apartments or also living there? I got 2 Pierrepont.

carm611

New

Post by carm611 » Mon May 26, 2008 6:23 pm

Yeah, I e-mailed Jennifer Smith today so hopefully I found out tomorrow what's going on regarding my assignment. I requested a studio as well but who knows the likelihood of getting that. Congrats though! :) I hear that Pierrepont is supposed to be a very nice building and it has laundry as well.

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Mon May 26, 2008 6:57 pm

carm611 wrote:Yeah, I e-mailed Jennifer Smith today so hopefully I found out tomorrow what's going on regarding my assignment. I requested a studio as well but who knows the likelihood of getting that. Congrats though! :) I hear that Pierrepont is supposed to be a very nice building and it has laundry as well.
Definitely sounds like an email mistake. Since all the current 1L's received their housing lottery results, it means Jennifer already decided the lottery results for the incoming 1Ls.

carm611

New

Post by carm611 » Tue May 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Got my assignment! They forgot to e-mail me it, haha. But it's all good - very happy with it.

edit: Do the kitchens come with microwaves? i.e. the Pierrepont buildings, if anyone happens to know? My apartment in the city didn't, so I'm just gauging whether I need to keep it or not.

Dotcomgal

New

Post by Dotcomgal » Wed May 28, 2008 1:41 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Feil Hall the only place that's furnished? WHich is part of the reason it's such a catch? I doubt Pierrepont has a microwave if it is unfurnished, so its a good thing you have one! :-P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carm611

New

Post by carm611 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:37 am

Yep, Feil is the only one that furnished. I had a hard time not picking that but Pierrepont ended up being my first choice and I knew that I'd have to get a bunch of stuff if I did get it. One less thing to bring is always helpful though - if it's already there, haha.

Any current students know if the unfurnished residences have microwaves?

edit: Even though I know my assignment b/c I called, I still didn't receive the e-mail. Does the e-mail contain any information other than the actual assignment, i.e. move-in dates, payment information, etc?

Sarajbj

New

Post by Sarajbj » Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 am

carm611 wrote:
edit: Even though I know my assignment b/c I called, I still didn't receive the e-mail. Does the e-mail contain any information other than the actual assignment, i.e. move-in dates, payment information, etc?
No, all my email said was this is your housing assignment, you can look at the layout on our website, more information will be mailed in the next few weeks.

soo lets watch the mail boxes

Dotcomgal

New

Post by Dotcomgal » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:57 pm

anyone gotten their housing packet? i am waiting anxiously!

bklawgirl11

New

Post by bklawgirl11 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:02 pm

Not yet..I doubt they'll send them until the middle of june, since that's what was said on the brooklaw message board--although I'm also anxiously awaiting this info!

Also, for anyone who has decided to go to brooklyn, (esp to the part time day or full time students), which gym, if any, do you plan on joining...YMCA or NYSC? Just curious where most or some students will be at. I know the YMCA is more convenient because of its location near feil hall if you live there (which I will), but their equipment isn't nearly as good as NYSC's, plus the wait for a machine at the Y might make it less worth it. What does everyone else think/plan to do?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bklawgirl11

New

Post by bklawgirl11 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:49 pm

anyone?

ATran

New

Post by ATran » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:56 pm

hey everybody! great to read through these posts, hope you're all as excited as I am... I found out I am living in 184 Joralemon... any 1L or other students who know what the place is like? The floorplan looks pretty dull, not too much space, but it was the cheapest studio available... I know it is unfurnished but any opinions/info/tips/advice on the building/room would be great! Thanks guy.

ATran

New

Post by ATran » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:08 pm

about the gym membership... i know i will need to join a gym, but i haven't gotten a close enough look at either... what is the price difference we're talking about here? If possible I would probably do a shorter plan at the Y at least at the beginning just to see how much/when I'll have time to work out, and then when I get a better feel join NYSC if it's that much better and I have good time.

bklawgirl11

New

Post by bklawgirl11 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:15 pm

The Y is 45 a month for students, but they have a 150 charge to start being a member. NYSC is 75 or 80 a month with much less than 150 to start..i think it depends on when you join. you can do both gyms by the month, but nysc is cheaper if you do it by the year than by month. what does anyone else who goes to bklyn law or is starting this year think about which gym is better/more popular for students? Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DennyCraneWannabe

New

Post by DennyCraneWannabe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:10 am

Just about every gym is somewhere in the area of the law school. I'm thinking of joining the NYSC and the YMCA at the moment because of thier prices. Probably going to wait until I have my class schedule and figure out a workout schedule then visit both and see which one looks better for me. No sense visiting when I have no idea when I'll actually be there during the day, places can change a lot based on the time of day you go there.

As for housing questions.. Feil Hall is the only place that comes furnished. I believe the apartments in Feil come with a microwave, atleast the one bedroom I saw during the housing tour did. Its an awesome building, so if you get the chance to have a room there, go for it, the thing is only 3 years old and the fact that its filled with law students should make for an awesome social and academic atmosphere.

amIready

New

Post by amIready » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Does anyone know when we will be getting our schedules? Or the time blocks of the classes for day? I'm so excited.

Sarajbj

New

Post by Sarajbj » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:32 am

Question on floor plans for anyone who might know. They accidentally sent me the wrong floor plan, so I'm still trying to figure out which bedroom would be mine in my apartment. I'm in a 3BR and based on price I know I am sharing a bathroom. I am room "3" but when I called to ask they could not give me a definite answer as to which bedroom would be mine because I believe the woman I spoke with was not very familiar with it. So is anyone in a 3BR who could help me? I'm sort of assuming its going to be the room all the way to the left because that would make sense numbers wise, I just want to know if i have a Bay Window or not haha.

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:57 am

amIready wrote:Does anyone know when we will be getting our schedules? Or the time blocks of the classes for day? I'm so excited.

I believe you get them toward the end of July. It will tell you your section number and professors. There is also some reading material for the intro to law class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:00 am

Sarajbj wrote:Question on floor plans for anyone who might know. They accidentally sent me the wrong floor plan, so I'm still trying to figure out which bedroom would be mine in my apartment. I'm in a 3BR and based on price I know I am sharing a bathroom. I am room "3" but when I called to ask they could not give me a definite answer as to which bedroom would be mine because I believe the woman I spoke with was not very familiar with it. So is anyone in a 3BR who could help me? I'm sort of assuming its going to be the room all the way to the left because that would make sense numbers wise, I just want to know if i have a Bay Window or not haha.
Email Jennifer Smith. I'm sure she knows.
They don't actually number the rooms in your apartment. For me, 1 is the room all the way to the left because 2 is to the right of it.

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:02 am

I'll be glad to take any questions you 2011'ers have about your upcoming 1L year...academic, social, OCI, jobs etc...

Player30

New

Post by Player30 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:06 am

In PT evening at BLS. I visited the school and love the area, and I have a 3L friend who goes there and loves it. I have to choose between a few schools (waitlists seem to love me) but now it is basically BLS full tuition vs. Pace with about half tuition (if I keep the scholarship - based on a 3.0). I'm 30 and have been out of school several years, and I want to be in the NY region. Is BLS worth it?

misterstroma

New

Post by misterstroma » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:41 pm

Got my preferred housing choice! I'll be in 18 Sidney Place next month. Not sure yet whether I got a studio or 1BR, though. See you in a month...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superfly80

New

Post by superfly80 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Has anyone received their schedule yet? or their orientation materials?
Also, are we able to set up our school e-mail accounts?

misterstroma

New

Post by misterstroma » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:43 pm

I emailed them about the schedules back in May, and here's the reply I got from Myron B. Chaitovsky, Director of Admissions:
"Typically, we mail out class schedules and first assignments, along with other Orientation-related materials, at the end of July. We don’t ‘embargo’ that information—it is in our interest as well as yours to release it all as soon as it is available—and usually that is when everything is finalized."
No clue on the email accounts. I have noticed that the WebAdvisor account does not seem to be frequently updated -- you're supposed to be able to access your financial aid package through it, but all I can access is a list of documents rec'd (and needed, though none are left) from the admissions office.

superfly80

New

Post by superfly80 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:09 pm

How is everyone finding their Intro reading? I like it :)

Also, any word on the section numbers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”