Rutgers-Camden 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
e602

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden 2011

Post by e602 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:49 pm

roleary wrote:I got the email also and just sort of vaguely glanced it over until I saw the start date, I am assuming it is like that which is offered at other schools, you take a few classes in the summer instead of the fall... I think it is also recommended for people who may have been out of school for a while or majored in something drastically removed from legal studies and may need a little prep before embarking on the full time program.
You take one class of 4 credits in the Summer, and take 3 classes in the fall. This works great because it eases your transition into law school since the first year is all about learning a new way to think. You can only take the torts section if you are a 1L.

I am grateful now that I know more about it, it's just that I have to sell a house in a depressed market in 6 weeks or less hopefully, find a place to stay for 3 months (and find a way to pay for it and a mortgage on one income), leave my wife behind 2400 miles away for several months and quit my job at the worst possible time in a transition (although that last part doesn't factor too much). I know we'll lose about $5000 on the house, but we'll make up for it when we buy in NJ. Not as easy a decision or move for me. Will be fun though!

I'll join the facebook group soon as I sign up for an account at home.

PhillyFanatiKC

New

Post by PhillyFanatiKC » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:51 pm

e602 wrote:
roleary wrote:I got the email also and just sort of vaguely glanced it over until I saw the start date, I am assuming it is like that which is offered at other schools, you take a few classes in the summer instead of the fall... I think it is also recommended for people who may have been out of school for a while or majored in something drastically removed from legal studies and may need a little prep before embarking on the full time program.
You take one class of 4 credits in the Summer, and take 3 classes in the fall. This works great because it eases your transition into law school since the first year is all about learning a new way to think. You can only take the torts section if you are a 1L.

I am grateful now that I know more about it, it's just that I have to sell a house in a depressed market in 6 weeks or less hopefully, find a place to stay for 3 months (and find a way to pay for it and a mortgage on one income), leave my wife behind 2400 miles away for several months and quit my job at the worst possible time in a transition (although that last part doesn't factor too much). I know we'll lose about $5000 on the house, but we'll make up for it when we buy in NJ. Not as easy a decision or move for me. Will be fun though!

I believe that you can also take Civil Procedure.

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:16 pm

What was the start date?

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 pm

e602 wrote:

Good luck, I know my parents are attempting to sell their house and property in Washington, and have been trying to do so for quite some time, so I can understand the difficulties!

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 pm

drleather wrote:What was the start date?
end of May I think... like the 28th or 29th.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

e602

New

Post by e602 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:26 pm

drleather wrote:What was the start date?
May 27th, day after Memorial Day.

e602

New

Post by e602 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:38 pm

PhillyFanatiKC wrote:
e602 wrote:

I believe that you can also take Civil Procedure.
This is what I got from the admissions office:
SUMMER JUMPSTART CLASS BEGINS: TUESDAY, MAY 27TH - JULY 21TH

Torts Section 1: Professor Braithwaite : Monday through Thursday -11:10 am-1:00 pm
Torts Section 2: Professor Maltz: Monday through Thursday -4:10 pm-6:00 pm
Civil Procedure: Professor Beckerman: Monday through Thursday - 10:10 am-12 pm

The benefits of the program include learning Torts or Civil Procedure in a smaller class environment with real lawyering assignments, individual feedback, as well as traditional classroom discussion. Then, rather than taking 4 credits in the Fall, you will only have to take 10 credits in the Fall. Students have more time to accumulate themselves to the vigor of law school. Many of our current top law students availed themselves of this opportunity.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are attending PART-TIME EVENING IN THE FALL, you are only able to take TORTS in the SUMMER.
Civil procedure is an option I guess. I had thought that if you took part time in the evening, like I will be, torts was your only option. Those three classes above are your options. I have already signed up for Torts I so you know where to find me.

mberg42

New

Post by mberg42 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Any know about if Rutgers Camden has on campus housing. If not people aren't really going to stay in Camden?

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:36 am

well if you read closely on this thread then you will see that nobody here that has posted is planning on living in camden, either elsewhere in jersey or philly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Actually, I think several students (mostly 2L and 3L) live in a refurbished building near campus that has luxury loft apartments called The Victor. It actually looks nice, but yea, you're still in Camden.

jwsl1152

New

Post by jwsl1152 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:49 pm

yeah i have a friend who goes there now and lives in an apartment building in camden where a lot of other students live.

mberg42

New

Post by mberg42 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:19 pm

roleary wrote:well if you read closely on this thread then you will see that nobody here that has posted is planning on living in camden, either elsewhere in jersey or philly.
I was just wondering about housing because I was looking into the school. Wasnt trying to put down Camden. I used to live right around the corner.. I was just trying to see what people were doing for housing.

PhillyFanatiKC

New

Post by PhillyFanatiKC » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:21 pm

I will be commuting from South Jersey.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:03 pm

mberg42 wrote:
roleary wrote:well if you read closely on this thread then you will see that nobody here that has posted is planning on living in camden, either elsewhere in jersey or philly.
I was just wondering about housing because I was looking into the school. Wasnt trying to put down Camden. I used to live right around the corner.. I was just trying to see what people were doing for housing.
wow buddy cool your jets! haha, just kidding. Yeah I know what you are saying, and you can put down Camden all you want as far as I care. I have no intention of living there, although I am sure some people could/will/do and it is probably be a lot more convenient than commuting.

TheBigHurt

New

Post by TheBigHurt » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:04 pm

I actually was up that way this weekend looking at prospective towns to live in. I don't think there is much in the way of good safe housing in Camden. The Victor, the nice lofts near campus, look really nice but I have heard its like 1200 for a one bedroom. That is way out of my price range, but may not be for some of you. Collingswood, Haddonfield, and other areas all seem to be much safer and nicer than Camden and also offer access via the PATCO line, which might be a good transportation option especially with the high gas prices. Might be looking for a roommate or a few roommates, PM me if anyone is thinking about those same areas.

e602

New

Post by e602 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:48 pm

As for on-campus housing, I know they have it. I believe it was something like $900 a month which is very pricey. I plan on renting somewhere during the summer and buying a house before the Fall with my wife since she's able to work and should qualify. We're looking to get a 4 bedroom and might rent out one room to another student for cheap. Not sure yet.

You honestly couldn't pay me to live in Camden. Commutting from Haddon Heights or Cherry Hill isn't too bad.

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:21 pm

So are any of you guys/girls planning on actually driving to class at Rutgers? ...and if so what are you thinking about parking, garage or school parking? Which is closer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:22 pm

lol.

They have plenty of lot space either on campus or right off of campus. Don't worry about parking.

e602

New

Post by e602 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:00 pm

If they have a locker room with showers, I'd love to live close enough to bike there. Whether or not I'll need a bullet proof vest for the last leg of the ride is another story. :D

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:09 pm

When you say school parking, drleather, I am assuming you mean that which requires a permit bought from the school right? or is there some sort of undercover free parking I am unaware of...?
I too would like to bike, E602, just in general. I never have really got into it but I had sort of hoped that when I got to lawschool I would be someplace where I could pursue street biking it to class to get a bit of exercise and save money, plus in traffic Id love to be that guy on a bike who just zips on by, lol.

TheBigHurt

New

Post by TheBigHurt » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:30 pm

There is a garage like right next door that is shared with Camden County Community College. My buddy who is a 1L parks there and then there is parking down towards the water next to the minor league baseball stadium. There are also a bunch of meters around.

The garage is most convenient but is very pricey. I don't know specifics but it is significantly more. The PATCO and River lines have stops right near campus which is probably how I will get to campus. They seem pretty inexpensive and timely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

e602

New

Post by e602 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:00 pm

There's also a riverline train that runs along the river going north/south that is $1.35 each way or $45 for a monthly pass that takes you right into Camden. I might have housing lined up for the summer at a stop 2 minutes away from a station. :)

http://www.riverline.com/

e602

New

Post by e602 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:22 pm

One more great tool for those of us not familiar with Jersey when looking for a place to live. Type in the town name or zip code and it'll give you all the statistical info you could ever want.

http://www.city-data.com/

Here's also a tool for those with kids and for women. Site that shows you where sexual predators live. Sadly, there is one that works for Rutgers.

http://www.familywatchdog.us/

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:33 pm

e602 wrote: Sadly, there is one that works for Rutgers.
http://www.familywatchdog.us/
serious?

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Yea, but it looks like a pretty mild offense, given the things that most people on there are convicted for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”