Rutgers-Camden 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
PhillyFanatiKC

New

Rutgers-Camden 2011

Post by PhillyFanatiKC » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Hey, just committed for Fall 2008. Anyone else headed to Rutgers or already there? Anyone going to the ASD on April 5th? Just wanted to start some discussion! :D

PhillyFanatiKC

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden 2011

Post by PhillyFanatiKC » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 am

Anyone?

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:32 pm

PhillyFanatiKC wrote:
vyper wrote:
Rutgers-N stayed the same (77), Seton Hall up 4 (66), Rutgers-C down 7 (77).

This makes no sense to me, honestly, but I am a little biased as I am headed to Camden next year. They just built a new law school building, and there seems to be no tangible reason for a drop. I expect things to be much different next year.

yeah, i dont know. I looked at camden's us news rank since 2002 and its pretty much has jumped up and down around this same general spot... I take it as a grain of salt really, I am also 99 percent ready to go to Camden in the fall. Did you see the building?...

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:35 pm

copied the above post and my reply from the other thread, just in case anyone is confused, lol...
I am not going to be able to make the April 5 deans day, I'm pretty far out of state. I am excited about getting out to philly in the summer though, :mrgreen: have you had a chance to check out the new building yet?

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Anyone know how the Environmental Law program is at RC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PhillyFanatiKC

New

Post by PhillyFanatiKC » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:28 pm

roleary wrote:...
copied the above post and my reply from the other thread, just in case anyone is confused, lol...
I am not going to be able to make the April 5 deans day, I'm pretty far out of state. I am excited about getting out to philly in the summer though, :mrgreen: have you had a chance to check out the new building yet?
Oh, ok. Where are you from/go to undergrad?

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:12 pm

Wrapping up my undegrad here at UH (big island), originally from seattle and came out here just to get away for a few years and get my bachelors, but ive got family in Baltimore and Philly is really right where id like to be. UH was (is) out of the way but it turned out to provide me with a bunch of good pre-law internships with corporation counsel and the Prosecutors... I am def ready to get back to the mainland though.
Any other Camden folks out there? 1L's?

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:37 am

I guess the Rutgers C people just aren't big time TLS nerds, maybe thats a good thing! :mrgreen:

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:18 am

TLS nerds are good people... :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:24 am

Maybe you guys are the only 2 matriculating members of the Rutgers-Camden Class of 2011 :shock:
At least one of you will be in the top 50%!

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:25 am

Drew82abndiv wrote:Maybe you guys are the only 2 matriculating members of the Rutgers-Camden Class of 2011 :shock:
Law review!

PhillyFanatiKC

New

Post by PhillyFanatiKC » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 am

aguyingeorgia wrote:
Drew82abndiv wrote:Maybe you guys are the only 2 matriculating members of the Rutgers-Camden Class of 2011 :shock:
Law review!
Haha, thats awesome. I would actually love to get on review for their Journal of Law and Religion. Maybe things are looking up for me!

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:57 am

I'd like to go to Camden, but I need them to up their $$ offer. I'm working on it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:52 pm

Alright!

Hey, so Camden matched my offer from Newark. Now: what does Camden have to offer that Newark does not?

I know Newark has great clinics. What does Camden offer?

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:59 pm

I am not really that familiar with the Newark branch so cant help you much, I didn't even apply there actually...
I know TLS nerds are good people... :roll:

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:24 pm

lol.

Well, I'm going to check it out tomorrow afternoon. I went to Newark and the environment kind of left me feeling down. I think the off-campus living options for a married person (which I'll be) are better in Camden with towns off the light rail just a few minutes from campus.

I think what hurt Camden in the rankings was their bar passage rate this past year. It took a dip.

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:52 pm

congrats on tying the knot buddy, hopefully that will make for a better law school experience and not a more difficult one!...lol
Let us (this thread) know what you think after visiting, I am curious to hear what you think, I still have a couple weeks and temple is still a lingering thought in the back of my mind... Yeah I'm not sure what is responsible for the drop.. I am to cheap to spend the fourteen dollars to get the premium online version of US news, the regional rep is great though so I am not to worried about the national ranking.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Also, I too am looking for off campus housing, where are you thinking about? I would like to live across the bridge but I think rents a bit higher...

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:32 am

Well, if you mean "across the bridge" in Philly, than you won't be eligible for in state tuition. Rutgers has told people that they'll grant you in-state status if you sign a lease in New Jersey by the time classes start, so keep that in mind.

There are some very nice towns on the light rail like Collingswood, with reasonable rents, but I think it's a dry town...:(

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:54 pm

I read something strange regarding new jersey residency, maybe someone here can set me straight, but it appeared that if you are under the age of... 24 I think, you are presumed dependent for the purposes to tuition residency and therefore your residency is same as that of your parents, unless you fall into a few different categories such as parents deceased or in the military... then you apparently can petition for independent status... anyone shed some light on this for me?

PhillyFanatiKC

New

Post by PhillyFanatiKC » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:16 pm

roleary wrote:I read something strange regarding new jersey residency, maybe someone here can set me straight, but it appeared that if you are under the age of... 24 I think, you are presumed dependent for the purposes to tuition residency and therefore your residency is same as that of your parents, unless you fall into a few different categories such as parents deceased or in the military... then you apparently can petition for independent status... anyone shed some light on this for me?
I believe that, at least for financial aid purposes, Rutgers Camden views all law students as financially independent. It would be smart to contact financial aid if this is a concern to you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:17 pm

thanks, yeah I think I will, if this is the case then I have no benefit to living in jersey because Ill be graduating around that age!

drleather

New

Post by drleather » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:18 pm

So, I'm back.

A couple of things, some good and some bad:

1) The campus is currently under renovation, so it was hard to get a feel for how it will look in a few months when the fall class arrives. They are installing a new thorough-fair through the center of the buildings, and they need to do some landscaping and lay down the bricks for the walkway. As a result, some of the entrances to the campus were blocked off or partially obscured with construction notices and orange fencing.

2) That being said, the campus is "snug." From one end of campus (near the waterfront and athletic buildings) to the other end (the law building) is a 10 minute stroll. It was nice, plenty of plants, chairs, etc...But not somewhere you'd want to get married at.

3) The buildings are somewhat dated. I believe they were mostly constructed around 1969, and have that period's utilitarian feel. Lots of brown concrete and small windows. The library was pretty grim, with not much light getting inside and carpet that needed some replacement. The student center was ok (it had a Starbucks that closed at 4 for some reason), but the campus shop was barren. It had a total of maybe 12 t-shirts for sale, no books, and only a hot dog roller and some junk food for sale. Not sure what the deal was there...

4) The law building is similarly dated and kind of grungy feeling. The law library was pretty depressing, to be honest, but I was told that things will change when the new law building opens, and from the outside that looks really nice with lots of large windows. Apparently a large chunk of the law library is going to turn into a cafe, so they must be planning at least some renovation. I'm hopeful, anyway.

5) The area is, indeed, Camden. I didn't see any restaurants or bars nearby, which is annoying, but there is an Independent League baseball team (the Riversharks) that plays on campus in Campbell's field, a really nice stadium with views of Philly from the stands. That's a nice little perk. I felt safe walking around campus and on the streets surrounding it, and saw campus police several times. The streets and area right near campus are perfectly fine, with new brick sidewalks. From what I understand, the waterfront/Rutgers area is safe, but don't go further out. There is a RiverLine train station that links to points north next to the campus, and a PATCO rapid-transit stop 1.5 blocks away. Travel time into Philly from campus is 11 minutes.

That's about it. Not sure yet if I'll make it to the ASW.

roleary

New

Post by roleary » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:33 pm

ahh, that just brightened my morning like a warm cup of medium/mild roast! lol... thanks for the tour, sounds... uh, well, like Camden I guess. So no new law building opened yet? damn, wish I could make it to the deans day deal on the 5th. Oh well, so you did not get to actually tour the new law building, correct?

PhillyFanatiKC

New

Post by PhillyFanatiKC » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:57 pm

They are planning to unveil the new law building for accepted students on the 5th, or so I hear. I will be there, so I'll post my impressions when I get back. Thanks for the info.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”