UC Hastings - 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
thebiggdawg55

New

Re: UC Hastings - 2011

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:02 am

I guess I was mistaken - What I am looking for is the login and password to the admitted students site, which is not the same as our UC Hastings email. Did anyone find this?

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:41 am

what's up with our new emaul?

Nemiga

New

Post by Nemiga » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:51 am

We were supposed to be given a Hastings e-mail address? :?:

ChaDoRi

New

Post by ChaDoRi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:00 am

Hachi wrote:What drew everyone to Hastings? Like why did people choose to apply / accept their offer?
For me, I applied to law schools in major cities (NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, Boston, etc.) because I've lived in the same quiet place all my life. Then I just chose Hastings over all the other schools I was accepted to because it gave the best job prospects upon graduate. There were other factors too but the job prospects was the main one.
thebiggdawg55 wrote:I guess I was mistaken - What I am looking for is the login and password to the admitted students site, which is not the same as our UC Hastings email. Did anyone find this?
If I remember right, that information should be on the acceptance letter they mailed you.

thebiggdawg55

New

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:09 am

That's what I'm saying - I didn't get one. Does each person get their own unique login and password, or is there one for all class of 2011?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thebiggdawg55

New

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:28 am

Nevermind, somebody kindly gave me the login and p/w for new admits. And no, we don't get our email until orientation.

j12alvarez

New

Post by j12alvarez » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:03 am

Hachi wrote:What drew everyone to Hastings? Like why did people choose to apply / accept their offer?

For me it was the fact that they were bay area, they have both PI Law and International law (the two fields at this point I am most interested in, bleeding heart and all that) and they were ranked reasonably well.

I chose Hastings because of it's excellent location in San Francisco and the amazing job prospects after graduation and all that jazz. It is a very well-regarded school in California and it carries significant weight across the country as well.

Also, the tuition is very reasonable considering what several schools that are ranked way below Hastings are asking for in tuition.

In general, it is an amazing school and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Nemiga

New

Post by Nemiga » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:21 pm

A combination of factors, location being one of the most important. The opportunity to live in a huge, vibrant, highly liberal city on the Californian shore was simply too good to pass up. Besides that, Hasting's prestige, job placement rates, strong public interest clinics and loan-repayment programs.... It all adds up to a very attractive package indeed.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:02 pm

i can't decide between hastings with 7K and Fordham PT full price...life is annoying me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:29 pm

kevsocko wrote:i can't decide between hastings with 7K and Fordham PT full price...life is annoying me
Do you still want to work in CA? How did your Fordham visit go?

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:30 pm

And would you be okay with going to school part-time? I don't think I'd like that so much myself.

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:34 pm

BioLaw wrote:And would you be okay with going to school part-time? I don't think I'd like that so much myself.
If you take the full four years, its more costly. Since you'd be paying sticker at Fordham and got 7k at Hastings, you save yourself close to 80k by choosing Hastings (you're in-state, right?). I think if I were you, Id be thinking "What opportunities does Fordham offer that Hastings doesn't that are worth $80,000? If your answer is "the opportunity to kick it in New York with my big bro", choose Hastings and thank me later. :P

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:03 pm

well, i plan on transferring to FT at Fordham if I attend...I've heard that PT students that don't work, which would be me :twisted:, have an advantage overall in the rankings game...although I would prefer to be FT and kick it with other FT students closer to my age...but right now I'm leaning towards Hastings of course, mainly because of the money situation, but also because my father is an attorney and my connections will be much greater here in CA...although I do prefer NYC>SF...

I did really like Fordham when I visited there, but i'll probably get along better with west coast kids at hastings than dealing with east coast snobbery at fordham

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:11 pm

kevsocko wrote:well, i plan on transferring to FT at Fordham if I attend...I've heard that PT students that don't work, which would be me :twisted:, have an advantage overall in the rankings game...although I would prefer to be FT and kick it with other FT students closer to my age...but right now I'm leaning towards Hastings of course, mainly because of the money situation, but also because my father is an attorney and my connections will be much greater here in CA...although I do prefer NYC>SF...

I did really like Fordham when I visited there, but i'll probably get along better with west coast kids at hastings than dealing with east coast snobbery at fordham
You sound like you know that Hastings is the smarter choice but you might prefer Fordham. Per Law School Confidential, ignore the instinct to choose the regional school outside of your region. For most people it ends up being a huge and costly mistake. Go elite, go public or go home. Unless your dad is footing the bill, doesn't care about the cost differential and will hook you up with a bitchin' Cali job after law school. In which case, enjoy Manhattan.

Also, have you made your own thread yet? This one doesn't get much traffic and you might feel a little better after everyone tells you the same thing. :)

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Hastings troll!

j/k....it's really my infatuation with NYC and a bit of prestige whoring that attracts me to Fordham...my pops is a generous man, but I am on my own for law school...I want to hang on a bit longer and see if they somehow offer me an offer ican't refuse aid package, but I imagine i'll be seeing you in the Fall...

I know you didn't like mcallister tower, though...you said the rooms are dorms...can I at least fit a full size bed in there? i can't do twin...

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm

kevsocko wrote:Hastings troll!

j/k....it's really my infatuation with NYC and a bit of prestige whoring that attracts me to Fordham...my pops is a generous man, but I am on my own for law school...I want to hang on a bit longer and see if they somehow offer me an offer ican't refuse aid package, but I imagine i'll be seeing you in the Fall...

I know you didn't like mcallister tower, though...you said the rooms are dorms...can I at least fit a full size bed in there? i can't do twin...
We only saw one room which was the one bedroom. The resident had a futon set-up in there. Perhaps you should get a two bed-room?

I AM a Hastings troll! :lol: That's why I encourage you to check with others. I sound very trolly, even though I'm right. :P

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:31 pm

:oops: a hem, what about the, uh, efficiency studios?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:38 pm

kevsocko wrote::oops: a hem, what about the, uh, efficiency studios?
I would discourage. But who knows, we may have different standards. A lot of people posting in this thread will be living in the Tower and are happy with the accommodations. Aren't you living in L.A? Make a trip to come check it out. I know you're not super familiar with SF but its not nearly as hard to find an apartment here as it is in New York. If you're interested in getting your own place, I'd be happy to advise you on what decent neighborhoods/fair prices might look like. Spend some time on Craigslist and avoid listings for the Bay View. :P

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:41 pm

I just finished UG in September, and I shared rooms for most of my UCSB career, so any room to myself feels like a luxury. I just want to live in the tower for social reasons my first year- I don't expect to be in my room very much, anyway, and I am all loans, so the cheapest rent I can get i'm going for...you are going to be living with your SO, correct? if I was in that situation it would be very different and I'd want lots more space...

Rocktopus

New

Post by Rocktopus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:01 pm

kevsocko wrote:I just finished UG in September, and I shared rooms for most of my UCSB career, so any room to myself feels like a luxury. I just want to live in the tower for social reasons my first year- I don't expect to be in my room very much, anyway, and I am all loans, so the cheapest rent I can get i'm going for...you are going to be living with your SO, correct? if I was in that situation it would be very different and I'd want lots more space...

I talked to a 3L recently and asked him what he thought about living in the tower. What really surprised me was how dangerous he made it seem. He said you basically can't leave the building after dark if you are alone and that people do get mugged every semester. He and I both are from the Bay Area, I actually grew up in some bad areas of Oakland, so we are both used to the inherent dangers of urban environments. He said that the street crime is much more aggressive and violent in the Tenderloin than it is in the East Bay. I replied that I would think that someone leaving class after dark would run into more trouble heading to a home further away from Hastings than someone who lived right around the block. Possibly, he said, but Hastings has shuttles that run directly from campus to other neighborhoods, limiting the amount of walking you have to do inside the Tenderloin. If you lived in the Tower, you would need to walk in that neighborhood every time you wanted to go get a bite to eat, needed something from a liquor store, or were returning home from a night out with friends.
He wasn't totally against living in the Tower, he merely mentioned this as one negative of living there. His ultimate advice was to visit and actually see the rooms, the facilities, and the surrounding area for myself. It's great for some people, but not for everyone.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:10 pm

I'm a man and I will beat the fuck out of any old homeless idiot that tries to fight me. I've spent a lot of time in bad areas, and it takes more than a dirty old bum to mug me. I'll probably carry a knife or pepper spray for defense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rocktopus

New

Post by Rocktopus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:24 pm

kevsocko wrote:I'm a man and I will beat the fuck out of any old homeless idiot that tries to fight me. I've spent a lot of time in bad areas, and it takes more than a dirty old bum to mug me. I'll probably carry a knife or pepper spray for defense.
(in an Australian accent)
"You call that a knife? THIS is a knife."

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about bums trying to fight you. And if someone want to rob you, they'll probably be using something a little more substantial than your knife/pepper spray, in which case it's better to just hand that wallet over imo.

That being said, I'm not really worried about getting mugged either.

silveri

New

Post by silveri » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:03 pm

I actually had a bum try and fight me when I was waiting for a bus right in front of Hastings.

My advice? You got into Hastings so you obviously have good verbal skills. Use them. It worked for me.

Oh and pepper spray isn't a bad backup plan.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 pm

what about a tazing to the grill?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”