UC Hastings - 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Governor

New

Re: UC Hastings - 2011

Post by Governor » Fri May 23, 2008 3:43 am

But, nevertheless, I would never go to Davis, and anyone who would choose living in Davis over any real city is someone I would question.
Ah, snobby disdain. I believe that's something white people like.

$450 for a large room in a new apartment building vs. $850 for a closet in the Tenderloin.
Heat vs. perpetual fog.
Safe, clean, college-aged town vs. smelly, dirty, dangerous city that still has slavery.
Beautiful university campus vs. three buildings in the Tenderloin.
Tuition waivers for TA'ing undergrad social science classes in 2L and 3L vs. ...
Opportunity to apply for Student Regent vs. ...
Getting to drive a car vs. Depending on public transit.
$9,000 grant vs. $7,000 grant.

To each his own.
And you can't talk shit until 500 posts.
Says the guy who signed up the day before me.

Internet message board elitism. Awesome. You'll go far in life. And by life, I mean internet message boards.

thebiggdawg55

New

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Sat May 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Of course anytime somebody makes a post like this they always make the signature mistake of ignoring the qualitative factors. How about this:
$450 for a large room in a new apartment building vs. $850 for a closet in the Tenderloin.
Safe, clean, college-aged town vs. smelly, dirty, dangerous city that still has slavery.
Living in one of the most diverse and vibrant cities in the world vs. living in Davis

Is it just me, or does "safe, clean" tend to come off as "white, very, very white"? Maybe it's just from living in Detroit for so long...
Getting to drive a car vs. Depending on public transit.
Having top law firms, as well as top judicial clerkship opportunities within walking distance vs..?

There's no real retort for that. I hope you enjoy "getting to drive your car" from Davis to San Fran every day for your summer internship - assuming you find one.
Beautiful university campus vs. three buildings in the Tenderloin.
Beautiful CITY (not just campus) with thousands of attractions, bars, clubs, cultural centers, etc. vs....Davis.
Heat vs. perpetual fog.
Warm autumns, gorgeous springs, cool summers vs. muggy valley heat 3/4 of the year
$9,000 grant vs. $7,000 grant.
$125,000 starting salary (Hastings) vs. $103,500 starting salary (Davis)

But you're right - Davis does allow you to T.A. undergrad social science classes. And with an awesome gig like that, who needs federal clerkships and BigLaw internships?
Internet message board elitism. Awesome. You'll go far in life. And by life, I mean internet message boards.
Says the UC Davis troll who's talking shit on a UC Hastings thread. This thread is for the class of 2011 - as in, we're already confirmed. If you're insecure about your decision to go to Davis, go waste your time in the pre-law forum.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Mon May 26, 2008 1:27 pm

\//

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:50 pm

Making a surprise return appearance to announce that I will be at UC Tenderloin this fall also.

gello5765

New

Post by gello5765 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:50 pm

Where are people living for their 1L? Any advice on looking for apartments? I don't really want to live in the Tower, or at Bay Mission. . .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Thu May 29, 2008 3:14 pm

I've lived in the City for awhile. Here are a few things I've written about housing/living in San Francisco:
Neighborhoods:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&p=416157

Public Transit (and you can bike from pretty much anywhere):
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&p=580481

Restaurants:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&p=513262

ChaDoRi

New

Post by ChaDoRi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:47 am

gello5765 wrote:Where are people living for their 1L? Any advice on looking for apartments? I don't really want to live in the Tower, or at Bay Mission. . .
CaliforniaLaw wrote:Hey future classmates. Where are all of you living?
I am hopefully going to be living in the tower. I sent them the housing app + money order like months ago but haven't heard from them at all. Hopefully it works out or I'll be homeless and fit right in.

slaporte

New

Post by slaporte » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 pm

ChaDoRi wrote:I sent them the housing app + money order like months ago but haven't heard from them at all.
Same boat... if you call them and find out what is up, let us know!

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:11 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hachi

New

Post by Hachi » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:48 pm

gello5765 wrote:Where are people living for their 1L? Any advice on looking for apartments? I don't really want to live in the Tower, or at Bay Mission. . .
I've been looking for an apt here for about a week now and I think I might be able to provide some good advice on this.

I don't know where you'll be relocating from but if you're trying to find your own apartment it really seems like an uphill battle. Finding shared housing may be much much easier (but not an option if you plan on not being alone, for example).

In my situation, I couldn't really live in the tower (the location is not a place I want my girlfriend to have to deal with) or the Mission Bay (they only offer housing for solo people, that is shared with 4 randoms to uc hastings students, from what I was told). And as most house / apartment shares don't want a couple they don't know to move in, we're basically stuck looking for apartments, mostly studios.

It's been really difficult because most of the vacancies are in areas that you (I should say I) don't want to live. One of the first apartments we looked at one of the neighbors discouraged us because next door at the projects there was semi regular shootings. Far be it from me to question her as there was typical signs of gang activity. People hanging out on the streets doing nothing, police officers hanging out in their cars a few blocks away, etc. Plus, they were projects next door.

But there are pretty much projects everywhere in San Francisco. which I seem to think is artificially increasing the land by unnaturally increasing the demand for it. But that's another discussion. The point is that finding a place that isn't within walking distance from a project will cost you a lot of money. and aside from projects there are the just plain crappy neighborhoods.

If you're looking for a place, my suggestions based on my observations would be stay away from anything in the tenderloin, or rather anything listed as 'downtown'. Western addition near eddy / laguna area and south of that is mostly projects, and seems like pretty low quality housing. Mission seems like it could be nice, but I have a problem with areas where people just 'hang out' on the sidewalks, which makes me shy away from mission st. And of course market street is a place where you probably don't want to live either.

That is all depending on your tolerance for the odor of urine and obnoxious homeless people though. But I have to say the homeless people here are pretty mild mannered. Aside from seeing them smoke crack on the street, they really don't ask for change that often compared to where I'm from.

When you're looking for a place, keep in mind that there's a lot of competition for the less expensive places. I think of all open houses we've gone to there have been at least 2 or more other people also looking at the apartment. So follow the Hastings off campus housing guide, make a "rental resume" with the common rental application information on it, make photocopies of your ID and potentially a copy of some part of your credit report and take these to open houses. If you like the place fill out an application there or give them whatever information they need on the spot. This will give you a slight leg up, and will keep you from having to do something like go to kinkos to fax the application and ID photocopy.

Aside from that, finding an apartment without being here is going to generally be impossible, so plan on coming and staying in short term housing for more than a couple weeks.

P.S. Is anyone going to the Alumni center talk thing tonight or other ones this summer?

alaskainnyc

New

Post by alaskainnyc » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:41 am

does anyone know what the chances are of getting a job in NYC (summer or post-graduation)? i know something like 80% of hastings grads stay in california (not sure how much of that is due to self-selection), but is it almost impossible to work in NYC? i love SF so i wouldn't mind living/working there but i'd like to know if i had the option of living outside of california... (also i'm interested in biglaw)

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:19 pm

it's not impossible, but i'd imagine you'd need to be in the top 20% of class and have some connect in nyc. i'd imagine it would be easiest to get big law in CA for a couple of years and transfer to NY.

Summer Saint

New

Post by Summer Saint » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:31 pm

I just got accepted to Hastings on Thursday. Turns out waitlists aren't wastes of time after all.

I've applied for both that UCSF housing and an apartment in the Tower. I'm also single as of, well, this morning, and as a strapping young lad (23, 6'2", and my hobbies include shark-fighting and bear-wrestling) I'm hopeful that safety won't be much of a problem. Do you guys think I even stand a chance of getting one of the apartments I've applied for? I'm thinking that if I don't get in I'll just stay with my sister at her place up in North Beach for a week or so this summer and try to find a place.

Also, for those who have visited the Tower, how good is the gym? I'd prefer to not have to travel to be able to lift, but if the gym is crazily craptastic I may just have to resign myself to doing so.

Of course, this is all depending on me actually getting into one of these places which, if people are getting awarded for promptness, doesn't seem all that likely at this point since I'm somewhat behind in the game.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:58 am

i went by the gym and it's kinda wierd, but it seems like it should do the job. it's better than my HS gym was, worse than my UG gym. Basketball courts like my middle school gym, but it should work.

rrandyy

New

Post by rrandyy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Summer Saint wrote:Do you guys think I even stand a chance of getting one of the apartments I've applied for?
Its extremely unlikely you'll get into the tower... :/ You're probably #175 or so on the list and they expect about 100 spots to open up.

Summer Saint

New

Post by Summer Saint » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:44 pm

That's what I'm afraid of. On the plus side, my sister just moved up to North Beach, so I figure I can just go stay with her at some point during this summer for however long it takes to find myself an apartment.

I don't suppose anyone's looking for a roommate? I'm male, 23, and I just graduated this past weekend. All I'm really looking for in a roommate is someone who is clean and either goes to bed early or is very quiet. Really, the most important thing I want is a clean roommate. Neither of my roommates this past year ever cleaned anything in our apartment, which unfortunately caused me to not want to clean either because it would be the same as cleaning up after them. It's not logical, but that was my reasoning.

I suppose that ideally I'd be looking for a woman to live with, since on the whole they're much cleaner than men and take up much less refrigerator space with their food. But I'm not really sure how I'd go about looking for a female roommate without sounding totally creepy. Le sigh.

thebiggdawg55

New

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:32 am

In case you haven't already, join the UCH Class of 2011 Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 5632005290

Just cuz.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

arabian_dude

New

Post by arabian_dude » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:03 am

anyone still looking for a roommate?

PM me :)
Last edited by arabian_dude on Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MakAttack

New

Post by MakAttack » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 pm

So, new to the list, I'd like to get a sense of who all is off to Hastings this fall. I've been waffling between Hastings and USC, and new scholarship offers may have just tipped me to Hastings. Anyone here waiting on a spot at USC? Anyone think I'm crazy for skipping out on USC?

Anyway, where are people from? Undergrad experiences? Any UCLA grads out there? Are people expecting to put their heads down and just be studying, or are people going to be experiencing everything that SF has to offer? Do people plan on looking inside the law school to meet new people, or are we going to be a bunch of cut throats who can't associate with eachother?

I'm hoping that this is going to be a great class, with people interested in making friends, study groups, etc. Anyone got something to add?

MakAttack

New

Post by MakAttack » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:50 pm

BioLaw wrote:
ChaDoRi wrote:Well, one of the reasons why I've chosen to live in the tower is so I can play basketball as often as my body will allow me. So you'll know that at least one person will be there.
Cool. I figure that in a class of 400-something (x3), there's gotta be enough for some fives.
Given i'm 95% sure I'm going to Hastings now, count me in for bball. I hear there is a decent IM league, we should get a 2011 team started.

MakAttack

New

Post by MakAttack » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Anyone out there still looking for a roomate. I'm 95% sold on Hastings now, hoping to find a place in the city. Let me know!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bruingrad

New

Post by bruingrad » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:45 pm

Hello--I'm another waitlist admit joining the class of 2011. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

I've lived in the city for a while now, too, and just wanted to add to the housing discussion if I can be helpful. I am already settled in an apartment where I plan to stay (relief!) but if I were moving to the city to attend Hastings, I think I would try to move to Hayes Valley. It's a cool, upcoming neighborhood, with lots of bars/restaurants to walk to, close to the campus but out of the Tenderloin, relatively safe, and if you have a car, close to the freeway, too. This is just my opinion, but if you are looking on Craigslist and not sure about the neighborhood designations, I think this would be a really good choice. It's also fairly affordable for SF (which is in general not very affordable).

PS--Makattack, as you may have been able to tell from my user name, I'm a UCLA alumna. Originally from OC. I think you made a great choice, especially if you want to be in the Bay Area, and I think you are an IP person, right?

MakAttack

New

Post by MakAttack » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:57 pm

bruingrad wrote:Hello--I'm another waitlist admit joining the class of 2011. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.

I've lived in the city for a while now, too, and just wanted to add to the housing discussion if I can be helpful. I am already settled in an apartment where I plan to stay (relief!) but if I were moving to the city to attend Hastings, I think I would try to move to Hayes Valley. It's a cool, upcoming neighborhood, with lots of bars/restaurants to walk to, close to the campus but out of the Tenderloin, relatively safe, and if you have a car, close to the freeway, too. This is just my opinion, but if you are looking on Craigslist and not sure about the neighborhood designations, I think this would be a really good choice. It's also fairly affordable for SF (which is in general not very affordable).

PS--Makattack, as you may have been able to tell from my user name, I'm a UCLA alumna. Originally from OC. I think you made a great choice, especially if you want to be in the Bay Area, and I think you are an IP person, right?
Yeah, I'll definately be considering Hayes Valley as well, but I gotta find a roomate first! Know anyone? I just got done telling some trojan guy off about why I chose UC Hastings over USC, those guys never can get past how great they think USC is in every regard. I am an IP person, and that weighed heavily on the decision, since I'm not too impressed with USC's IP offerings. Hopefully we can get together for watching UCLA sports. I have a 2L friend at Hastings, and her and her boyfriend are both good friends of mine from UCLA and have been waiting for me to make my decision so we can go watch games together.

bruingrad

New

Post by bruingrad » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 pm

I tried to respond to this the other day, but I guess it logged me off. You won't have any trouble finding Bruin fans to watch UCLA sports with--there are a lot of us here in SF. I might be looking into IP as well (but copyright/TM, not patent). I think we'll be in a good place at Hastings.

Wayne Jarvis

New

Post by Wayne Jarvis » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Fellow Hastings students REJOICE!!! for hastings has joined us in the new millennium with an updated website.
:D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”