UC Hastings - 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
ChaDoRi

New

Re: UC Hastings - 2011

Post by ChaDoRi » Sun May 04, 2008 7:22 am

I found out recently that I got a merit scholarship! Woot!

I use to be a little bummed out about not getting any free money from them when they sent me my financial aid package but now I'm very excited at the prospect of attending Hastings next year. It's a good amount of money but I think it's psychological value far outweighs its monetary value. I just feel so loved! :)

So hopefully the rest of you Hastings 0L's got some good news coming your way too!

thebiggdawg55

New

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:43 am

Yeah a merit scholarship would be killer right about now, especially considering i'm paying out of state tuition my first year. What were your #s, if you don't mind my asking?

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Wed May 07, 2008 1:56 am

I'm watching Animal Planet Detectives San Francisco and getting pumped for Hastings, yet scared of the multitude of vicious dogs that roam the streets.

ChaDoRi

New

Post by ChaDoRi » Wed May 07, 2008 3:10 am

thebiggdawg55 wrote:Yeah a merit scholarship would be killer right about now, especially considering i'm paying out of state tuition my first year. What were your #s, if you don't mind my asking?
Let's see, out of the GPA/LSAT numbers, I was around the median on one of them and around the 75th percentile on the other. I'm not an URM.

I'm paying out-of-state tuition too so it was nice to get something. Hopefully you will too!
kevsocko wrote:I'm watching Animal Planet Detectives San Francisco and getting pumped for Hastings, yet scared of the multitude of vicious dogs that roam the streets.
Oh man dogs! Looks like I'm never venturing out of my apartment in the tower ever. Perhaps not even for class...

thebiggdawg55

New

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:05 pm

Hm, I fell into the same percentile ranks for GPA/LSAT, I REALLY hope I can get one of those merit scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Wed May 07, 2008 1:34 pm

I wonder if they are giving it to your b/c you are out of state to help you out? did you recieve the need-based grant?

ChaDoRi

New

Post by ChaDoRi » Wed May 07, 2008 5:27 pm

kevsocko wrote:I wonder if they are giving it to your b/c you are out of state to help you out? did you recieve the need-based grant?
I got no need-based grants. When I called them about it, they told me they couldn't do anything about it because it's determined by the Federal government or some such. My theory is that I received a lot of need-based grants when I was an undergrad so I get none this time around.

katiecakes

New

Post by katiecakes » Wed May 07, 2008 10:04 pm

i hope this isn't a weird question, but did most of you guys decide on hastings because it is the highest ranked of the schools you were accepted to, or did you turn down other same/higher ranked schools for the advantages of hastings?

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Wed May 07, 2008 10:11 pm

I got into Fordham but am going to hastings because its cheaper and I want to go into prosecution/litigation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thebiggdawg55

New

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:47 am

Hastings is the highest ranked school I got into, but I turned down offers from BC, BU and Fordham to be put on their "priority waitlists" because California is the state I really want to practice in.

Governor

New

Post by Governor » Sat May 10, 2008 12:07 am

Regarding the merit scholarship, did you hear about it via email, a phone call, or a package in the mail?

I just got into UC Davis and visited the campus this weekend. It's a great town, and the low cost of living ($450 for a LARGE single room at Davis vs. $850 for a SMALL single at Hastings), and better financial aid package ($9,000 Davis grant vs. $7,000 Hastings grant) makes it very attractive. I haven't gotten any merit scholarships from either school, though.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Sat May 10, 2008 12:35 am

i wouldn't have understood the difference in big and small if you hadn't put it in caps. may I remind you that hastings is in SAN FRANCISCO and davis is in DAVIS.

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sat May 10, 2008 3:26 am

Governor wrote:Regarding the merit scholarship, did you hear about it via email, a phone call, or a package in the mail?

I just got into UC Davis and visited the campus this weekend. It's a great town, and the low cost of living ($450 for a LARGE single room at Davis vs. $850 for a SMALL single at Hastings), and better financial aid package ($9,000 Davis grant vs. $7,000 Hastings grant) makes it very attractive. I haven't gotten any merit scholarships from either school, though.
$450??? you could get it cheaper than that! Lets say you could get it at 400 though... that a 450 dollar savings per month vs. Hastings.... that a 5400 dollar a year savings/grant (whatever you want to call it) equaling to a 14500 "grant" from Davis per year (plus the savings of riding your bike to school, and overall less stress of a rural environment vs. city life). Over four years that’s going to be 43500 bucks in grants, added to the fact that you wont have to slit your friend's throat to get that spot in the top 10%... I'd say go with Davis. If your talking strictly numbers here, go with Davis... but then again, you shouldn’t choose between the two based on statistics and #s. See which one suits you best. I think everyone would agree that that it’s better to excel in Davis than do mediocre in Hastings, and vise versa.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Sat May 10, 2008 12:07 pm

$450??? you could get it cheaper than that! Lets say you could get it at 400 though... that a 450 dollar savings per month vs. Hastings.... that a 5400 dollar a year savings/grant (whatever you want to call it) equaling to a 14500 "grant" from Davis per year (plus the savings of riding your bike to school, and overall less stress of a rural environment vs. city life). Over four years that’s going to be 43500 bucks in grants, added to the fact that you wont have to slit your friend's throat to get that spot in the top 10%... I'd say go with Davis. If your talking strictly numbers here, go with Davis... but then again, you shouldn’t choose between the two based on statistics and #s. See which one suits you best. I think everyone would agree that that it’s better to excel in Davis than do mediocre in Hastings, and vise versa.
Some people may be more stressed out by the rural environment. Early in their 1L first semester, they will wake up, and realize they are in davis. that's a reason to kill yourself right there. and the whole "slit your friends throat" thing at hastings is a complete myth. every LS outside the T14 is extremely competitive. hastings no more than any others.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Sat May 10, 2008 2:50 pm

does anyone know anything about hastings LRAP? Say I make 60K as an ADA...how much will they help me out?

ChaDoRi

New

Post by ChaDoRi » Sat May 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Governor wrote:Regarding the merit scholarship, did you hear about it via email, a phone call, or a package in the mail?
I first got an e-mail, then a letter in the mail soon after.

high4ever2008

New

Post by high4ever2008 » Sun May 11, 2008 4:21 am

Congrats to all you UC Hastings folks. Can you all do me a favor by banding together and getting UC Hastings to upgrade their website? I feel like I'm in the 1980s when I visit it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thebiggdawg55

New

Post by thebiggdawg55 » Sun May 11, 2008 11:33 am

high4ever2008 wrote:Congrats to all you UC Hastings folks. Can you all do me a favor by banding together and getting UC Hastings to upgrade their website? I feel like I'm in the 1980s when I visit it.
YES! I am SO glad that I'm not the ONLY person who feels this way. Hastings' website is ATROCIOUS. Visiting it, you would think that Hastings is a non-accredited school or one of those "get your law degree online!" sites. Nearly EVERY law school website I've visited thus far has been better than ours, and that's just inexcusable. Who's in charge of it, anyway??

Hachi

New

Post by Hachi » Mon May 12, 2008 8:41 pm

kevsocko wrote:does anyone know anything about hastings LRAP? Say I make 60K as an ADA...how much will they help me out?
Hastings doesn't use LRAP. Look up PICAP. They actually seem to have a very good system. I think they will help you as long as your taxed income on your 1040 is under 59,999 or something, but I dont remember exactly.

And the way it works is they give you a forgivable loan instead of a grants as grants are taxable. The loans they work on forgiving though are the stafford and or perkins loans, but not the Grad PLUS loans evidently. The system seems pretty complicated but I think that's just because I am not part of it so it's like looking from the outside in.

Overall the program looks pretty great, and hastings seems to be a pretty good school if you're planning on going into public interest (which is one of the reasons I chose them).

Governor

New

Post by Governor » Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 pm

Some people may be more stressed out by the rural environment. Early in their 1L first semester, they will wake up, and realize they are in davis. that's a reason to kill yourself right there.
--Kevsocko

Then I strongly hope you're heading to Davis.

kevsocko

New

Post by kevsocko » Tue May 13, 2008 1:06 am

Last edited by kevsocko on Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AndrewScott

New

Post by AndrewScott » Thu May 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Hey all -- I'm new to the forum and I'm going to Hastings in the fall. Applied for an efficiency in the Tower and all the deposits are in. :D This thread's great -- lots of good info.

I ride a motorcycle -- a new Triumph Bonneville that I'm completely in love with. Does anyone know about the parking situation at the Tower? I guess you could say I want to know if I should bring my SO with me to SF. :lol:

AndrewScott

New

Grading Change

Post by AndrewScott » Fri May 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Hastings is relaxing (slightly) its overly-strict grading policy. I know there has been some discussion of this already, but anything I can do to ease some of the pressure on my future fellow classmates. :D For details check the link.

http://theshark.typepad.com/weblog/2008 ... d-gra.html

ChaDoRi

New

Post by ChaDoRi » Mon May 19, 2008 5:52 am

AndrewScott wrote:Hastings is relaxing (slightly) its overly-strict grading policy. I know there has been some discussion of this already, but anything I can do to ease some of the pressure on my future fellow classmates. :D For details check the link.

http://theshark.typepad.com/weblog/2008 ... d-gra.html
Thanks for posting this! My scholarship is based on my GPA so now a 3.0 sounds a little easier to maintain.

Oh, and does anyone know if there are any tennis courts near school? I love playing tennis on a bright sunny day (which I hope we'll get a few of at least...).

CaliforniaLaw

New

Post by CaliforniaLaw » Fri May 23, 2008 12:06 am

Last edited by CaliforniaLaw on Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”