Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
blackdog
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:58 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby blackdog » Wed May 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Stan wrote:I am considering Wash U and I’m hoping that people on this thread can convince me into it, especially people who thought about equally/higher ranked schools. What made you choose Wash U and what was the tipping point? Do you really think that it will be hard to find a job outside of the Midwest after school? What do you think about the prestige issue? PM me if you like, but I would love to hear your perspective. Thanks.


In my case, I had two choices I considered viable (WUSTL and W&L), so my decision was largely comparative. My less-appealing options were UMD and Houston, which would have cost the same as the Washingtons after scholarship money. I really loved the atmosphere and friendliness of W&L and it was very difficult to turn them down, but I ultimately decided WUSTL was the sounder choice. They seem to have some similar advantages in terms of low student-faculty ratio, etc, but are also less isolated, on the rise, and fare better in most job market statistics. They're strongest in the Midwest, but I get the impression if you come from the East Coast like me, it's not too hard to get back there.

User avatar
smc5784
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby smc5784 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:53 pm

Just got the second seat deposit e-mail. If any of you are scholarship recipients and have deposited at other schools, you'll definitely want to read the body of the e-mail. Plus, the link is up on the admitted students website to pay your deposit.

User avatar
Dadric
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:25 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby Dadric » Fri May 16, 2008 6:47 pm

smc5784 wrote:I, like lukertin, chose Wash U largely for the money.


Huzzah. That being said, I really did love the school when I visited.

User avatar
rezipsa
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:36 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby rezipsa » Wed May 21, 2008 1:59 pm

.
Last edited by rezipsa on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
smc5784
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby smc5784 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:34 pm

That snow covered picture makes me smile.

User avatar
20090922
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby 20090922 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 pm

smc5784 wrote:That snow covered picture makes me smile.

That snow is such weak sauce.

User avatar
smc5784
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby smc5784 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:06 pm

lukertin wrote:
smc5784 wrote:That snow covered picture makes me smile.

That snow is such weak sauce.


When you're from Mississippi, that basically looks like Antarctica compared to what I'm used to.

User avatar
20090922
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby 20090922 » Thu May 22, 2008 1:53 pm

smc5784 wrote:When you're from Mississippi, that basically looks like Antarctica compared to what I'm used to.

The snowfall in the Northeast these past couple of years is probably indistinguishable from Mississippi winters. I blame global warming, and by corollary, George Bush.

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby hwmyones » Sun May 25, 2008 8:53 pm

I'm from FL...i don't know what snow is, being from Miami, it looks like the law school is covered in Tony Montana's product...

User avatar
20090922
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby 20090922 » Sun May 25, 2008 9:14 pm

hwmyones wrote:I'm from FL...i don't know what snow is, being from Miami, it looks like the law school is covered in Tony Montana's product...

Just as long as you don't dance around like a fairy on the first day of winter, like some people I knew from CA...

uclastarshield
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby uclastarshield » Tue May 27, 2008 10:28 pm

lukertin wrote:
hwmyones wrote:I'm from FL...i don't know what snow is, being from Miami, it looks like the law school is covered in Tony Montana's product...

Just as long as you don't dance around like a fairy on the first day of winter, like some people I knew from CA...



Hey, I grew up in CA, and it's not snow we freak out about, it's rain. Some Californians melt in the rain, that's why it's the only time LA highways are empty.

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby hwmyones » Tue May 27, 2008 10:33 pm

When it rains in CA, uclastarshield dances around on the empty highways in the nude.
(True Story)

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby hwmyones » Tue May 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Or wait, aren't they freeways in CA?

User avatar
20090922
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby 20090922 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:45 pm

uclastarshield wrote:Hey, I grew up in CA, and it's not snow we freak out about, it's rain. Some Californians melt in the rain, that's why it's the only time LA highways are empty.

He wasn't freaking out, he was dancing like a fairy out of joy? happiness? excitement? as you would expect a five girl to start dancing if you bought her a pony for her birthday.

uclastarshield
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby uclastarshield » Tue May 27, 2008 10:50 pm

hwmyones wrote:When it rains in CA, uclastarshield dances around on the empty highways in the nude.
(True Story)


Not in the nude, it was the undie-run, four thousand of us during finals week :) wow, is our generation royally hurting with facebook photos. thank goodness for privacy settings.

hwmyones wrote:Or wait, aren't they freeways in CA?


Haha, at $1million per mile per lane, nope, not free at all.

lukertin wrote:
uclastarshield wrote:Hey, I grew up in CA, and it's not snow we freak out about, it's rain. Some Californians melt in the rain, that's why it's the only time LA highways are empty.

He wasn't freaking out, he was dancing like a fairy out of joy? happiness? excitement? as you would expect a five girl to start dancing if you bought her a pony for her birthday.


Get me a cobra and maybe I'll dance like that, definitely not a pony.

oomk
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:35 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby oomk » Wed May 28, 2008 10:21 am

Sorry to uh, get off topic (if it helps, i love snow but am from a normal place, so i promise not to dance at first snowfall), but does anyone know how it works if you've got an offer for money but you're planning on waiting it out on other waitlists? The reminder email says, "due to a limited scholarship budget, we are unable to hold open scholarship offers beyond the June 1st reservation deadline." Does this mean that putting down the June seat deposit (and thus accepting the scholarship) is a binding commitment to the school and that you should be off all other waitlists? Thanks in advance for the help!
Last edited by oomk on Wed May 28, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

egrubs
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby egrubs » Wed May 28, 2008 11:03 am

It lacks for binding language, I believe.

(And one of the big reasons Californians don't drive in the rain is that our roads are built with horribly poor draininge. If we get one inch of rain in fifteen minutes, we can expect flooding in mary parts of SoCal.)

User avatar
20090922
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby 20090922 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:06 am

oomk wrote:Sorry to uh, get off topic (if it helps, i love snow but am from a normal place, so i promise not to dance at first snowfall), but does anyone know how it works if you've got an offer for money but you're planning on waiting it out on other waitlists? The reminder email says, "due to a limited scholarship budget, we are unable to hold open scholarship offers beyond the June 1st reservation deadline." Does this mean that putting down the June seat deposit (and thus accepting the scholarship) is a binding commitment to the school and that you should thus be off all other waitlists? Thanks in advance for the help!

I read the letter as to mean: If you don't put down a deposit by June 1st, you will (obviously) lose your scholarship--and we can't give out extensions. Being deposited at multiple schools is a bad thing anyway come June 15th(?? Whenever LSAC releases that information to law schools, I think it's June 15th, maybe it's in July)

User avatar
20090922
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby 20090922 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 am

egrubs wrote:(And one of the big reasons Californians don't drive in the rain is that our roads are built with horribly poor draininge. If we get one inch of rain in fifteen minutes, we can expect flooding in mary parts of SoCal.)

Yesterday we got about a foot of rain in an hour or two, and now it's full blown sunny outside!! How whack is that? (Silly New England weather)

oomk
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:35 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby oomk » Wed May 28, 2008 11:15 am

I didn't mean double depositing, but staying on the waitlist at another school. (These are different... right?) I guess this would only really become a problem if, by some miracle, i were to get off the waitlist at another school.

And it is June 15th that they check, in case anyone is double deposited.

egrubs
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby egrubs » Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 am

oomk wrote:I didn't mean double depositing, but staying on the waitlist at another school. (These are different... right?) I guess this would only really become a problem if, by some miracle, i were to get off the waitlist at another school.

And it is June 15th that they check, in case anyone is double deposited.


Read it carefully. It doesn't require that you withdraw from all other schools. Schools are often very explicit when they make a commitment binding.

User avatar
hwmyones
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby hwmyones » Wed May 28, 2008 1:06 pm

I just died a little on the inside...
--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
20090922
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby 20090922 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:14 pm

That's just not cool. We should start a petition to Congress asking them to legally oppose such a buyout.

egrubs
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby egrubs » Wed May 28, 2008 1:38 pm

So long as the city has Schlafly's, you can evade sobriety with pride.

User avatar
RATRATRAT
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:12 am

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby RATRATRAT » Wed May 28, 2008 2:00 pm

I didn't realize how nice the facilities were @ WUSTL until I saw those pictures. Looks like an awesome place to spend 3 years. I think law school is probably more enjoyable if you're doing it @ a place that looks like it's from Harry Potter.




Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest