Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
hwmyones

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Postby hwmyones » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:39 pm

so i started really looking at apartments today...I think I'm going to get a one bedroom this year and wait til i start making friends to get roommate(s) next year. Anyone done the same so far? I'm pretty set on the Central West End right now. Depending on your budget there are some great places...

maddox

Postby maddox » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:37 pm

i've heard some really sketchy things about the CWE and am worried about living there alone as a female. I am looking at the area closer to Clayton/the Galleria...but I am worried that not many students would be over in that area. Does anyone know where most law students live?

Postby 20090922 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:46 pm

maddox wrote:i've heard some really sketchy things about the CWE and am worried about living there alone as a female. I am looking at the area closer to Clayton/the Galleria...but I am worried that not many students would be over in that area. Does anyone know where most law students live?

--LinkRemoved--
Looks like most law students live in the CWE, with Clayton and University City being next favorites. Just find someone who lives near you and walk back together if you're uncomfortable walking back to your apartment at 2AM. I mean, I live in a safe neighborhood in NYC and feel paranoid about walking by myself at night farther than 2 blocks away from campus. My fear was affirmed last month when a student here died after an attempted mugging, so...

I need to start looking for an apartment too, where are you guys looking, Craigslist?

hwmyones

Postby hwmyones » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:55 pm

I haven't really heard anything negative about the CWE as long as you live north of lindell (which basically is the edge of CWE anyway)...U-city is dangerous though, that's for sure? (Isn't that where Nelly is from? I know he rips about it alot) Anyone find it funny that a 2br in CWE is cheaper on average than a 1br?

check out
http://www.frontdoorstl.com

They manage a TON of buildings and apartments in the area...
I like the Clayton/Galleria area but I've actually seen some nicer apartments in CWE...
but ya, craigslist is useful for private owned apartments..and the managed buildings are all pretty easy to find on apartments.com

Postby 20090922 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:20 am

hwmyones wrote:Anyone find it funny that a 2br in CWE is cheaper on average than a 1br?

If that's the case, want to buy roommate :D

I like the Clayton/Galleria area but I've actually seen some nicer apartments in CWE...
but ya, craigslist is useful for private owned apartments..and the managed buildings are all pretty easy to find on apartments.com

Thanks a bunch!

hwmyones

Postby hwmyones » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 am

buy? you want to buy me? :P

but ya, I think early-mid June is the best time to rent, according to the website, but onestly if I can find a place that will let let me sign a lease to start Aug 1st...highly unlikely though. Are you in the facebook group lukertin?

Postby 20090922 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 am

hwmyones wrote:buy? you want to buy me? :P

no, why would i ever want to buy another guy? I already have me, and that's enough. (that sounded a lot weirder than I thought it would.)

but ya, I think early-mid June is the best time to rent, according to the website, but onestly if I can find a place that will let let me sign a lease to start Aug 1st...highly unlikely though. Are you in the facebook group lukertin?

Man that would seriously put a dent in my summer plans if I had to rent that early to get a good apartment...T.T
Yea I should join the fb group eh :D. Waiting on the stupid thing to let my name change pass through lest I confuse the hell out of everyone. Next month's graduation is going to be awesome since like nobody knows what my real name is...

hwmyones

Postby hwmyones » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 am

i'm not going to lie..i'm quite confused by what you just said...do you actually want a roommate or do you want a single? I'm still trying to decide

Postby 20090922 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:20 am

hwmyones wrote:i'm not going to lie..i'm quite confused by what you just said...do you actually want a roommate or do you want a single? I'm still trying to decide

Sorry about that, what I meant to say is I don't like my legal name so everyone I know calls me something else to the point that nobody knows my real name anymore (and I think it sounds hella weird when someone addresses me by it). Unfortunately, facebook is taking years to accept my name change request and I don't think it'd be a good idea to confuse the hell out of my future classmates before I even meet them. :lol:

And I do want a single next year, but the difference in cost is staring me in the face and daring me not to do it.

smc5784

Postby smc5784 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:58 am

hwmyones wrote:I haven't really heard anything negative about the CWE as long as you live north of lindell (which basically is the edge of CWE anyway)...U-city is dangerous though, that's for sure? (Isn't that where Nelly is from? I know he rips about it alot) Anyone find it funny that a 2br in CWE is cheaper on average than a 1br?

check out

Man, that website has me feeling pretty inadequate about the apartment I got. Those are some freaking nice places. Nice find, HW. Come join me in the CWE.

hwmyones

Postby hwmyones » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 am

SMC, you can come chill at my place. I plan on splurging on way too much shit like all the college football and basketball games. So, ya, take a look at that website and look at the Carleton, that's where I want to live, hopefully they'll have an empty one..it's right on lindell, good location.

LabRat

Postby LabRat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 pm

hwmyones wrote:...I plan on splurging on way too much shit like all the college football and basketball games...

One of the things I like best about going back to school is that I'll get to talk to college sports fans again. When football starts again I'll have to invite y'all over and crank up the projector. Currently my screen is 106", but I may move up to a 135" if the new place has enough room.

smc5784

Postby smc5784 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:48 pm

LabRat wrote:One of the things I like best about going back to school is that I'll get to talk to college sports fans again. When football starts again I'll have to invite y'all over and crank up the projector. Currently my screen is 106", but I may move up to a 135" if the new place has enough room.

Wow.... I just drooled.

I think we could certainly get a group together that would be more than willing to provide the financing for the drinks if you provided that screen every Saturday (or, at least, whatever Saturday that we won't be nose deep into a law book).

twotonethegreat

Postby twotonethegreat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:58 pm

LabRat wrote:
hwmyones wrote:...I plan on splurging on way too much shit like all the college football and basketball games...

One of the things I like best about going back to school is that I'll get to talk to college sports fans again. When football starts again I'll have to invite y'all over and crank up the projector. Currently my screen is 106", but I may move up to a 135" if the new place has enough room.

Hell yeah. That was enough motivation for me to make my first post--I'll likely be in St. Louis with all of you in a few months. Can't wait.

BJK1903

Postby BJK1903 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:25 pm

I'll tell you what, while we're on the subject of college football, I'm definitely going to go to the Illinois-Mizzou game. Both teams could end up in the BCS, and they play each other the first game of the season. In St Louis! How awesome is that?

smc5784

Postby smc5784 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Not sure if wustl3l still reads this topic, but I'm hoping so. I was wondering if he (or anyone else with knowledge) knew people there who used a Mac, and how that worked out for them. I'd really love to just get a Macbook for the upcoming school year, but I'm worried about printer compatibility, exam software (which, from what I understand, works as long as you have Windows loaded), etc.

LabRat

Postby LabRat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 pm

smc5784 wrote:Wow.... I just drooled.

I think we could certainly get a group together that would be more than willing to provide the financing for the drinks if you provided that screen every Saturday (or, at least, whatever Saturday that we won't be nose deep into a law book).

Yeah, I'm hoping to be able to free up most of my weekends during the first half of the semester, at least. Beer in exchange for projector time sounds good :mrgreen: . Maybe someone out there could bring an xbox. I've never tried games on this thing.

I need to do some research on what HD options there are in St. Louis. Standard def truly looks like ass at that size.

twotonethegreat wrote:Hell yeah. That was enough motivation for me to make my first post--I'll likely be in St. Louis with all of you in a few months. Can't wait.

Welcome twotone!

nicola.kirwan

Postby nicola.kirwan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:23 pm

maddox wrote:i've heard some really sketchy things about the CWE and am worried about living there alone as a female. I am looking at the area closer to Clayton/the Galleria...but I am worried that not many students would be over in that area. Does anyone know where most law students live?

I grew up in St. Louis, went to high school in the Central West End, and will be going to Wash U in the fall (I live in Philadelphia now). I think the most important thing with STL neighborhoods is that unless you live in West or South counties (neither are close to Wash U), the neighborhoods can go from being wonderful to terrible in a block. The Central West End is one of those areas. It's also a place I've always wanted to live. It's really worth visiting the particular place to see what that particular block like.

Heads up about the neighborhood if you're looking at a map: If you start at Wash U at the intersection of Skinker and Lindell and go east, you're good until you hit Boyle, and then you get into the SLU area, which is less good. If you go West, you're great, period, since that gets into the Clayton/Ladue area. I wouldn't go more north than Delmar, but you're pretty good far south. So maybe just don't go more east than Boyle or more north than Delmar?

Oh, and STL is a great place to be in Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Um...hope that wasn't too much. lol.

Postby 20090922 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 pm

nicola.kirwan wrote:Oh, and STL is a great place to be in Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Why? What happens in the winter?

hwmyones

Postby hwmyones » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:45 am

lukertin wrote:
nicola.kirwan wrote:Oh, and STL is a great place to be in Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Why? What happens in the winter?

The world ends and you freeze your butt off and then we all laugh at you.

106" Projector Screens? Hmm..unless you have an HD one (which are incredible, but somewhere in the $10k-$60k range) which you probably don't because we dont' run the world yet, you're going to have issues getting an HD feed. I have a 42 inch LCD..i promise it's more than enough..135" would just hurt...

hwmyones

Postby hwmyones » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:46 am

and just a public service announcement...big ten football sucks. and big 12 is pretty bad as well. So none of this KU/Mizzou or UI/Mizzou talk...it's not real.

BJK1903

Postby BJK1903 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:26 am

hwmyones wrote:and just a public service announcement...big ten football sucks. and big 12 is pretty bad as well. So none of this KU/Mizzou or UI/Mizzou talk...it's not real.

Get outta here man. Illinois is the real deal. That was a young team last year, this year they're going to be even better (and yes, they were a damn good team last year). KU was a fluke, I'll give you that, but I think Mizzou has a shot this year. Both UI and Mizzou are pre-season top ten. I'm calling it right now. And one of them ends the season top 5. Another call.

Postby 20090922 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:01 pm

hwmyones wrote:The world ends and you freeze your butt off and then we all laugh at you.

Haha, but you're talking to someone who's wandered outside without a jacket on to walk through snow in sandals (no socks).

106" Projector Screens? Hmm..unless you have an HD one (which are incredible, but somewhere in the $10k-$60k range) which you probably don't because we dont' run the world yet, you're going to have issues getting an HD feed. I have a 42 inch LCD..i promise it's more than enough..135" would just hurt...

Yea but his wife is a lawyer already...and he's a LabRat.

LabRat

Postby LabRat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:08 pm

lukertin wrote:
hwmyones wrote:

Yea but his wife is a lawyer already...and he's a LabRat.

lol, not rich yet, and we're taking a massive salary hit so I can go to school! Right now I'm running my first projector, an Infocus 4805 which is only DVD resolution. Fine for 106", but could be better. Still, looks great with an HD signal, which it downscales as needed. Looks horrible at SD. I use it mostly for sports and movies, and still have my old 27" CRT for watching CNN or something (you DON'T want to see a 3 foot wide version of Wolf Blitzer's head).
Cost with 106" screen and cables--$700, 2 years ago. Yes, cheaper than a midsized LCD.

If I move up to 135", I'll be picking up a 1080p unit. They can be found for around $2300 right now (that 10K-60K number is about 5 years out of date, things have been moving fast in the front projector market). Here is a current popular model: http://www.projectorpeople.com/projecto ... emid=23232

720p models can be found for under $1000. http://www.projectorpeople.com/projecto ... ptoma+HD65

135" might hurt, but in that good way..... :mrgreen:

twotonethegreat

Postby twotonethegreat » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:14 pm

I've got a ps3 with hd cables, any fifa players out there?

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”