Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
egrubs

New

Re: Washington University in St. Louis Class of '11

Post by egrubs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:39 pm

An unmeasurable impact on those numbers comes from WashU's transfer friendly environment. It appears they admit about 210-220 people for their incoming class and add 35-45 by way of transfer (losing about 10 that transfer out).

Those that transfer out most likely are near the top of the class. We know little to nothing about those who transfer in. I doubt the school will separate the employment statistics for us based on 1L admits and 2L transfers. That's a block of 50 out of 250 that could wreak havok on those numbers if there were specific patterns (outperform or underperform) among the transfer students.

Still, the numbers are more promising than I had originally hoped. I am definitely not disappointed.

lawisfun44

New

Post by lawisfun44 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi! I was recently accepted to Wash U and I read on here about the admitted students day on march 28... how soon after acceptance does a password to the admitted students site come??

ludwig

New

Post by ludwig » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:20 am

It came with my acceptance. I got an email first and it was in that. My letter from them also had the password I believe.

rhit2004

New

Post by rhit2004 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:01 pm

lawisfun44 wrote:Hi! I was recently accepted to Wash U and I read on here about the admitted students day on march 28... how soon after acceptance does a password to the admitted students site come??
Registration for the admitted student day technically closed this past week. However, I would think that if you call the admissions office they may be able to get you added to the list with your recent acceptance.

wustl3l

New

Post by wustl3l » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:00 pm

typodragon wrote:i remain fairly annoyed at the stories that the st louis bar deliberately excludes grads from wustl. does anyone have any experience with this?
This is true to some extent. Good grades/luck trump St. Louis' insularity but in general it is tough.

Among my circle of friends, six of us needed/wanted to stay in St. Louis for a variety of legitimate reasons (significant other has a job, bought a house, etc.) and only one of us got an offer. And of those who did not get St. Louis offers, most got multiple offers at top firms in other markets so it was not like we are slouches. I was even asked point blank "tell me what we should tell the hiring committee about your commitment to staying in St. Louis". Obviously they didn't believe me!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:13 pm

From what I've been told by a lot of people is that people in St. Louis are very proud of their St. Louisosity. They think that most WUSTL'ers are here solely for their own benefit and not for the advancement of the city. Basically, they think that you're going to work for them for 2 years and then take a better offer from a firm in Chicago or NY because that's where you're probably from anyway; or where you really want to go. What I was told is that the only WUSTL law grads that get jobs in St. Louis are those that are actually from St. Louis. Otherwise the larger firms would rather hire SLU and Mizzou grads.

LabRat

New

Post by LabRat » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:46 pm

Checking in, I'll be at WashU next year. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

New

Post by 20090922 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:55 pm

LabRat wrote:Checking in, I'll be at WashU next year. Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Yea, I'll probably be there too (barring some out of this world job offer which makes me want to put off going to law school for a year or two)

smc5784

Bronze

Post by smc5784 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:09 pm

LabRat wrote:Checking in, I'll be at WashU next year. Looking forward to meeting some of you.
Look forward to seeing you there, LabRat (barring me hearing some extraordinarily good news after a Vandy waitlist and a Cornell reserve).

I'm actually going to STL this weekend (more appropriately Sunday-Tuesday) to do some apartment shopping. I'm also hoping to stop by and talk with the CSO people for just a bit. I'm getting pretty excited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:49 pm

Anyone planning on going to those Housing Days? Wustl3L i know you're out there, did they have them when you were a 0L. Are they useful?

smc5784

Bronze

Post by smc5784 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:52 pm

hwmyones wrote:Anyone planning on going to those Housing Days? Wustl3L i know you're out there, did they have them when you were a 0L. Are they useful?
I talked to a student there through e-mail, and the one thing she said about those days was that, typically, it's the more expensive places that come. That may not always be the case, but just something you may want to keep in mind.

BTW, hwmyones, I'm pretty sure we met at the ASD in January. Remember a tall hick from Mississippi?

kkhtlk

New

Post by kkhtlk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:18 pm

i read the survival guide - its painfully honest. intriguing...

BJK1903

New

Post by BJK1903 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:25 pm

I'll be seeing all you guys there next year too. I can't wait, I'm getting pretty pumped about next year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wustl3l

New

Post by wustl3l » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:29 pm

hwmyones wrote:Anyone planning on going to those Housing Days? Wustl3L i know you're out there, did they have them when you were a 0L. Are they useful?
To be honest I can't remember. At any rate I didn't use it. I had friends already living here who helped and also read that survey that the school put out. If they didn't give it to you I'll see if I can't find it on the site somewhere.

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:14 pm

smc5784 wrote:
I talked to a student there through e-mail, and the one thing she said about those days was that, typically, it's the more expensive places that come. That may not always be the case, but just something you may want to keep in mind.

BTW, hwmyones, I'm pretty sure we met at the ASD in January. Remember a tall hick from Mississippi?
Don't you mean my FAVORITE tall hick from Mississippi? Haha, in sadder news, Whitney decided not to go to law school next year and to take a year off. That's one less drop dead gorgeous girl to share a library with. Oh well. I don't really care if the place is a little more expensive, I'd be willing to pay for a nicer place. Still on a roommate search though, I don't know a single soul in St. Louis haha.

New

Post by 20090922 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:37 pm

hwmyones wrote:Don't you mean my FAVORITE tall hick from Mississippi? Haha, in sadder news, Whitney decided not to go to law school next year and to take a year off. That's one less drop dead gorgeous girl to share a library with. Oh well. I don't really care if the place is a little more expensive, I'd be willing to pay for a nicer place. Still on a roommate search though, I don't know a single soul in St. Louis haha.
It's kind of funny, I wouldn't have been able to place Missouri or St. Louis on a blank map last year, but this year it's kind of funny how my best friend from high school got into WashU for engineering (He's like if you're going there for law I'm definitely accepting my offer), and on top of that, my boss from the summer moved there last Thanksgiving for a new job.

The world is too, too small.

matilda

New

Post by matilda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:15 pm

If you had told me three months ago that this New Yorker would be headed back to St. Louis (I did my undergrad there) I would not have believed you. In any case I am getting more and more excited to join you all as a member of the class of 2011!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LabRat

New

Post by LabRat » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:09 pm

kkhtlk wrote:i read the survival guide - its painfully honest. intriguing...
My wife works with the fellow who wrote that. Small world.

smc5784

Bronze

Post by smc5784 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:15 am

hwmyones wrote:Don't you mean my FAVORITE tall hick from Mississippi? Haha, in sadder news, Whitney decided not to go to law school next year and to take a year off. That's one less drop dead gorgeous girl to share a library with.
Yeah, I heard. Too bad. She's going to PCB or something like that, from what I understand. Sounds like a year of partying to me.

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Oh that's strictly what it is. She's literally going to Panama City Beach to get shitfaced fora a year and forget about some things...so basically, you and I are taking a road trip one weekend next year? :-P

ludwig

New

Post by ludwig » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:53 pm

Whitney who? I'm confused :P and yeah, I'll probably see all of you in the fall too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by 20090922 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:14 pm

ludwig wrote:Whitney who? I'm confused :P and yeah, I'll probably see all of you in the fall too.
I doubt you're alone :?

smc5784

Bronze

Post by smc5784 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:37 pm

lukertin wrote:
ludwig wrote:Whitney who? I'm confused :P and yeah, I'll probably see all of you in the fall too.
I doubt you're alone :?
Yeah, sorry. We turned this thread into a two-way conversation for just a bit. Unless you were hanging out with us at the ASD in January, then you would be confused.

jaliebs

New

Post by jaliebs » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:00 pm

Last edited by jaliebs on Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

upgrade

Bronze

Post by upgrade » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:10 pm

jaliebs wrote:To mitigate some ... hate on Wash U...
There is no hate for WUSTL. =)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”