UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT (UCONN) CLASS OF 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Re: UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT (UCONN) CLASS OF 2011

Post by Drew82abndiv » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:01 pm

AWESOME!!! PICTURES PLEASE!!!! And I cannot access pictures from any kind of blog or photo website - only if posted on here or sent to me! Can someone please post some pictures!!!! Thank you so much!

Drew

Charraj

New

Post by Charraj » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:37 pm

Sorry man, lol. I didn't take pictures. Just don't get your hopes up. It's not some grand sprawling acre sprouting castles left and right.

Hey, the people asking questions just wanted to put themselves out there, you know? Or maybe get some answers, lol. It's all good.

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:01 am

Yea man, that much I know. I am from CT and have driven by it but have only seen it from a distance. Just wanted to get a better feel - that's all. Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait until I'm back in the states! 9 MORE FRIGGEN DAYS!

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:48 am

Hey, sorry I'm coming the the ASD conversation a little late, I had to go straight from UConn to work on Sat. and then worked all day Sun. :(. ANYWAYS, I thought the panels were pretty helpful overall. Dean Paul was pretty entertaining and the alumni panel was really informative. I really got the impression that they weren't trying to sugarcoat or "sell" the school. I agree that some people were asking questions that were a little too specific to their own situations but it wasn't too bad. When you really take into account the number of people who attended it was really only a very small minority that asked the longwinded questions. The campus was absolutely beautiful. Pictures really don't do justice to the campus. Also, the car decals they gave out were pretty sweet.

P.S.- Here are some crappy cell phone pics I took:
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75 ... 0_8071.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75 ... 7_7421.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75 ... 8_7557.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75 ... 9_7835.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75 ... 6_7145.jpg
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75 ... 92_349.jpg

Rhett08

New

Post by Rhett08 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:14 pm

The car decals were definitely a nice touch.

I forgot to mention earlier, to those who didn't attend the ASW, the Law School is still trying to coordinate with the main Storrs campus to get log-ins for us. I recall Assistant Dean DeMeola mentioning something along the lines of a temporary general default username/password that we can all use for the time being, but details to that have yet to be ironed out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:21 pm

Pixies - thank you for posting pictures - EXCEPT - I cannot get them off of a website like that! Is there any way you can just post the pics to the board or PM me and post them? Thanks!

I am so jealous! I WANT A CAR DECAL!!!! Also, thanks Rhett for the information about the login. I will probably call today to see what they have to say about that.

We need to start thinking of a time and a place to all meet up - I will be back home in a week from Afghanistan and will be back in CT in June so any time after that and I am game! Just let me know what you guys want to do...if anything. I just figured it would be good to get a jump on knowing at least some of our future classmates!

Keep in touch everyone!

Drew

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:27 pm

Pixies - thank you for posting pictures - EXCEPT - I cannot get them off of a website like that! Is there any way you can just post the pics to the board or PM me and post them? Thanks!
Unfortunately the only images actually hosted on the same system as the TLS boards are avatars. All other images shown must be external links, since the forums don't have any features (or at least don't have any turned on) to allow images and attachments uploaded or embedded directly in postings.

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:31 pm

Hmmmm...doesn't seem correct. I see pictures posted in the bodies of messages all the time (see the most recent that I saw WASHU). How do they post those? Obviously some are allowed to be posted in the body.

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Drew82abndiv wrote:Hmmmm...doesn't seem correct. I see pictures posted in the bodies of messages all the time (see the most recent that I saw WASHU). How do they post those? Obviously some are allowed to be posted in the body.
I tried to attach them as files in a pm but it doesn't look like that's an option :(. I could be wrong though so if you know how to do that just let me know and I'll be happy to do that. I'll try to mess with the posts and see if they can come up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:38 pm

Pixies wrote:
Drew82abndiv wrote:Hmmmm...doesn't seem correct. I see pictures posted in the bodies of messages all the time (see the most recent that I saw WASHU). How do they post those? Obviously some are allowed to be posted in the body.
I tried to attach them as files in a pm but it doesn't look like that's an option :(. I could be wrong though so if you know how to do that just let me know and I'll be happy to do that. I'll try to mess with the posts and see if they can come up.

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:41 pm

It looks like I got some pics to show up in the tread in my last post, can you see them drew?

sockpuppet

Bronze

Post by sockpuppet » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:46 pm

Hmmmm...doesn't seem correct. I see pictures posted in the bodies of messages all the time (see the most recent that I saw WASHU). How do they post those? Obviously some are allowed to be posted in the body.
Those are included using the [img] tag. They appear in the body of the post when you see it, but the image files themselves are still hosted elsewhere (like on photobucket or imageshack). Right click on any image you see and pick "View Image" or "Properties" to see its actual location. If I understand correctly, your problem is that you can't view some images because your organization's web filtering software blocks access to the sites where the images are actually stored. If you can see some of them, then that means your access to those sites must not be blocked (so maybe asking people to post them there will help you out).

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:52 pm

Yea, unfortunately the US Government (Army system) uses Websense which effectively blocks just about EVERYTHING. I still can't see them pixies but perhaps if you send them to my email account as attachments it would work. I PMed you my email address! Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Drew

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:37 pm

Pixies,
Thanks so much for the email! I love the pics! See everyone soon!

Drew

missami

New

Post by missami » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:50 am

Hey everyone,
Good to see there's a fairly large number of people who are excited about UConn. Myself, I'm SoCal born and bred, so everything that's been posted about Hartford and the campus is quite helpful. I turned in my deposite today and I'm looking forward to moving out there in about 4 months time, except for the freakin' cold winters the NE is famous for. I'm currently living in Asia (Bombay, India, actually) and glad to see there's someone not too far in Kabul. Drew, how's your Pashto?

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:59 am

Missami,
As-salam-aleikum! I don't know too much pashto as I have just been out here with the military so the limited amount I do know is usually the very basic conversational pashto like Tha tsanga ye (how are you) and Ta la cherta ragh-ley (where are you from). I'm so happy to have another member of the Class of 2011, and a very well cultured one at that. It sounds like you have had quite the experiences and I would love to hear abotu living in India. The winters of the NE aren't that bad especially if you pick up snowboarding or some other winter activity and then it becomes fun. There is often a lot of snow and the temperatures are low but no worse than over here in Afghanistan! Keep in touch and If you want to PM me I will send you my email address and we can talk prior to the semster's start! Great to see you on here and I will see you very soon!!!!

Drew

Charraj

New

Post by Charraj » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:39 am

*Edit: removed bragging douchebaggery. Carry on.
Last edited by Charraj on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

missami

New

Post by missami » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:06 am

Hey again Drew & aleikum-wa-salam! I spent some time formally learning Arabic in Cairo last year and then considered learning Pashto during my time here in India (at one of the many Afghani madrasas here) because it was highly sought after by the US Dept of State. It has a similar script to Arabic and is somewhat related in syntax, vocabulary and structure to Hindi, just as Spanish and Italian are related to each other. Eventually, I decided to table the Foreign Service Exam when I got accepted to law school.

-Ami
Last edited by missami on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

trm02005

New

Post by trm02005 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:32 pm

Hey guys I just sent in my deposit check and am joining the housing search. I was looking at places and drove around most of West Hartford but it is hard to gauge how safe some of these neighborhoods are and was curious if anyone was more familiar with the town. Elmwood is technically part of WH and would be an easy commute given the vicinity to 84 but the neighborhoods seam iffy. I am wondering if these are just poorer neighborhoods and people just starting out or if there would be legitimate safety concerns moving into that area.

julyrain07

New

Post by julyrain07 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:53 pm

I will find out and let you know.

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:04 pm

trm02005,
Welcome to the UCONN Class of 2011!!! Glad to have you! I'm not sure about the neighborhoods up that way but I know most have gotten about 80% better from about 5 years ago! Congratulations on joining the Husky Law family and definitely stay connected so that we can all figure out a time and place to meet up prior to the end of August!

Drew

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trm02005

New

Post by trm02005 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

I appreciate the warm welcome and quick reply, went to the thing on Saturday and decided to just man up and send in the deposit. Also, thanks July some local knowledge would go a long way in easing my concerns.

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:56 pm

Its great to see this board growing and people sending deposits in! As for me, I made it official Monday night and put my letter of intention in the mail :D. ASD really sealed the deal for me. Can't wait to meet all of you guys! BTW Drew, you have some great ideas for get togethers, I wanted to ask you if there was a minor league baseball team in the area, like a PawSox equivalent. That might be a cheap, laid back atmosphere to meet up and relax before classes start.

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:03 pm

Hey congrats to everyone over here at the UCONN thread. Nice to have committed and be on your way so semi-early in the process (as opposed to those waiting on waitlists and what not)

Congrats! I've seen pictures, looks like a great school

Pokle

New

Post by Pokle » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:15 pm

I was also impressed with the ASD. I only stuck around for the first three hours, it being insanely cold and windy. I've seen the campus before anyway.

I guess what surprised me was that everyone was either fresh out of undergrad with their parents or substantially older than me and changing careers. I took two years to pursue a master's and now I feel like I'm disconnected. I would never dream of taking either of my parents to an ASD, (apologies if anyone here did), and some of the questions they asked were a bit absurd.

There were also people that just worded questions in a way that made you feel like they were trying to impress everyone else. I wanted to remind them they weren't in court yet, and they were already accepted. Maybe my cynicism coupled with other people's nervousness made me a bit uncomfortable.

Student body seemed SMALL, campus and area is MUCH nicer than I thought. Maybe seeing it in the light of day and spending some time to drive through downtown hartford, the west end, and w. hartford did me some good. And they have a Moe's in blueback square.

My deposit will be going out this week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”