UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT (UCONN) CLASS OF 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Re: UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT (UCONN) CLASS OF 2011

Post by Drew82abndiv » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Angie - OH NO...YOU BROKE MY HEART (j/k); I'm so sorry =-( I still think you're awesome! Still keep in touch and let me know what you decide to do!

Julyrain07 - I hope you do pursue the part time program, I think it actually seems like a great program and I have a couple of friends that have done it (as they have family) and they speak very highly of it. I, too, may be C/O 2012 b/c I may pursue the JD/MBA or JD/MPH (undecided as of yet). Time will tell and please do keep me up to date on whether or not you will join us! We will be sure to all meet up prior to the start of the semester!
As for Afghanistan; I am an infantry officer in the Army (82nd Airborne Division) so I am fighting the fight over here and have been since Jan 2007! This is my second tour (first was in 2005 to Iraq). I am currently stationed at Kandahar Air Field but was at FOB Salerno. Makes for some interesting conversation!

Pokle/Rhett - I hate you guys; I WISH I could go as gay as it may sound. I am DYING to visit the campus and see what I am getting myself into! Let me know and please do email me pictures and a synopsis of what the weekend consists of. I appreciate it! Have fun!

Drew

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Hey, I'm new to this board, I usually post on LSD but there aren't too many potential Huskies there so I was pretty excited to see this thread on TLS!!! I am about 90% sure I will be @ UConn next year (the only school that could potentially pull me away would be Cornell). I will also be at the ASD and I must admit I am pretty stoked about the tie-dying, lol. Seriously though, I've been meaning to check out the campus in person for awhile now and hope it lives up to the beautiful pics they have on-line. BTW, I RSVPed yesterday and I got an e-mail back asking whether I was bringing a guest. I am driving up with my SO but he hadn't planned on attending the session, is anyone else bringing a guest or do you all think its better to go alone?

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:06 pm

Pixies-
Welcome to the dark side (LSN) haha. Another future Husky lawyer - how awesome! I think it will be fine for you to bring someone - I just wish I could be there!!! I would probably (most likely) be bringing someone! Are you from CT? Once we establish all of the future UCONN '11 students on LSN we will have to establish a meeting place/time - first round on me, I SWEAR! I think it is great that I will get to know some of you before the year starts! Congrats on your acceptance and do keep in touch! PM me for my email address if that is better for you! Have fun at the ASW, I'm so jealous!

Drew

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:19 pm

Drew82abndiv wrote:Pixies-
Welcome to the dark side (LSN) haha. Another future Husky lawyer - how awesome! I think it will be fine for you to bring someone - I just wish I could be there!!! I would probably (most likely) be bringing someone! Are you from CT? Once we establish all of the future UCONN '11 students on LSN we will have to establish a meeting place/time - first round on me, I SWEAR! I think it is great that I will get to know some of you before the year starts! Congrats on your acceptance and do keep in touch! PM me for my email address if that is better for you! Have fun at the ASW, I'm so jealous!

Drew
I'll probably commit to UConn by next week, they were one of my fav's when I started the cycle out and I was very happy with the provisional fin aid I received. I was one of the first batches of acceptances which was really surprising because I am a splitter. When I found out I was admitted I was smiling for like, 45 minutes. It was amazing. ANYWAYS, I am actually from MA but CT seems like it won't be too much dif. Definitely keep me updated on any meet-ups I would love to get acquainted with some fellow future Huskies!!! We should probably start a facebook group up pretty soon too so we can all stay organized.

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:23 pm

I suppose that would mean that I would have to break down and sign up for facebook, huh? I have been anti-facebook and anti-myspace so I will have to be coaxed out of my shell.
I have already committed and was also in the first batch! SEE YOU SOON! KEEP IN TOUCH!

Drew

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pokle

New

Post by Pokle » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:08 pm

Pixies wrote: I'll probably commit to UConn by next week, they were one of my fav's when I started the cycle out and I was very happy with the provisional fin aid I received. I was one of the first batches of acceptances which was really surprising because I am a splitter. When I found out I was admitted I was smiling for like, 45 minutes. It was amazing. ANYWAYS, I am actually from MA but CT seems like it won't be too much dif. Definitely keep me updated on any meet-ups I would love to get acquainted with some fellow future Huskies!!! We should probably start a facebook group up pretty soon too so we can all stay organized.
I'm in the same boat more or less. I was very happy to receive a need based grant for the first year. Now as long as I can move there this summer and be considered in-state 2L & 3L, it's a decent deal. I think only UC-Davis can pull me away, but I've been complete and under evaluation for over a month, so I'm losing hope.

I was raised in MA, went to undergrad in WPI (congrats if you've heard of it on this board), and am finishing a master's in Brown (Providence, RI).

Living near boston for 4 years, then in providence for 2, I'm honestly not looking forward to hartford at all. I'm a big fan of boston, being reasonably close to the mountains, and having nice beaches in the summer. CT doesn't do it for me, but at least I can spend a few weekends in NYC. I can think of 2 silver linings, however:
1. Less distractions
2. Interesting people make up for non-ideal locales.

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, I'm looking forward to law school and uconn law is beautiful, really! Just live in west hartford or the west end of hartford. East hartford FTL.

I will do my best to bring a camera.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=uconn%20law&w=all - maybe that'll hold you over.

angiejolie

New

Post by angiejolie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:17 pm

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=uconn%20law&w=all - maybe that'll hold you over.
:(

i want to get out of california. enjoy the beauty for me!!!

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:41 pm

Pokle wrote:
Pixies wrote: I'll probably commit to UConn by next week, they were one of my fav's when I started the cycle out and I was very happy with the provisional fin aid I received. I was one of the first batches of acceptances which was really surprising because I am a splitter. When I found out I was admitted I was smiling for like, 45 minutes. It was amazing. ANYWAYS, I am actually from MA but CT seems like it won't be too much dif. Definitely keep me updated on any meet-ups I would love to get acquainted with some fellow future Huskies!!! We should probably start a facebook group up pretty soon too so we can all stay organized.
I'm in the same boat more or less. I was very happy to receive a need based grant for the first year. Now as long as I can move there this summer and be considered in-state 2L & 3L, it's a decent deal. I think only UC-Davis can pull me away, but I've been complete and under evaluation for over a month, so I'm losing hope.

I was raised in MA, went to undergrad in WPI (congrats if you've heard of it on this board), and am finishing a master's in Brown (Providence, RI).

Living near boston for 4 years, then in providence for 2, I'm honestly not looking forward to hartford at all. I'm a big fan of boston, being reasonably close to the mountains, and having nice beaches in the summer. CT doesn't do it for me, but at least I can spend a few weekends in NYC. I can think of 2 silver linings, however:
1. Less distractions
2. Interesting people make up for non-ideal locales.

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, I'm looking forward to law school and uconn law is beautiful, really! Just live in west hartford or the west end of hartford. East hartford FTL.

Wow, seems like we have lived in alot of the same areas. I am from southeastern MA, about 15 min. from Prov and 30 from Newport RI. I will definitely miss those beaches! Also, I do know of WPI and happen to go to school right down the street. If that alone doesn't give it away I will say that I could psychoanalyze the crap out of anyone :) So do you really think Hartford is that different from Prov? I figured it would be sort of similar. I ultimately would love to be in Prov or Boston after graduation but wouldn't mind hanging around CT for a couple of years. All I know is Hartford can't possibly be as bad as Worcester; I am ready to leave this place and never look back, lol.

Pokle

New

Post by Pokle » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:05 pm

Pixies,

I pretty much lump hartford and worcester together. Hartford does have a better downtown and nightlife, but is actually smaller than worcester in population.

One of my good friends who lived in east hartford (a different town) last year had his car stolen from one of those (P)arking lots you see around there while it was parked downtown.

Hartford has a decent night life from the few times I've been there, and seeing as you survived living in worcester for four years your street smarts have got to be up to par.

I'm determined to live in west hartford once I commit to going to Uconn. I'm a city person, but in this case I'll assume suburbs = safety. I have half a dozen stories about break-ins and robberies that I experienced firsthand in worcester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Charraj

New

Post by Charraj » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Yeah, speaking of which, have you guys made living arrangements yet? That's one of the last things I need to get figured out. And I mean ASAP. Any advice?

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Hartford really isn't that bad. I will be living down in Branford on the shoreline (my house is right across the street from a marina and I live a 5 minute walk from a beach club) so you are all welcome to come and hang out anytime. The 40 minute commute each way is going to suck but I'll get over it quickly. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! I am from CT but went to school in Boston. Spent many-a-days at Mosquamicut beach and the like. IT'S GETTING CLOSE!

Drew

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:26 am

Charraj wrote:Yeah, speaking of which, have you guys made living arrangements yet? That's one of the last things I need to get figured out. And I mean ASAP. Any advice?
I'm not SERIOUSLY looking at apartments yet but I have browsed the Courant and craigslist to get an idea of pricing and locations available. Overall it seems like there is quite a bit of affordable housing within a couple miles of campus.

Charraj

New

Post by Charraj » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:23 am

Good to know. Thanks, Pixie.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pokle

New

Post by Pokle » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:23 am

I wish I could commit and just get the housing thing and everything else settled. Until then my anxiety level is going to remain elevated.

Pixies

New

Post by Pixies » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:06 pm

Pokle wrote:I wish I could commit and just get the housing thing and everything else settled. Until then my anxiety level is going to remain elevated.
I can totally relate to this. In light of the e-mail sent out by Gabriel Rosenberg today about seat deposits being accepted during the session I am thinking of just taking the plunge and bringing my checkbook with me this Saturday. This is nuts, I feel like I'm getting married or something, lol. Hopefully I will get the last of my major decisions either today or tomorrow so I can make a confident decision. So,in the spirit of indecision, please encourage me to stop being such a wuss and to put my money on UConn!

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:54 pm

Okay, stop being a wuss, bring your checkbook, put your money down, and never look back! You obviously are very interested and pretty much sold on it so I say JUST GO FOR IT!!!!!

Drew

CourierTwelve

New

Post by CourierTwelve » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:01 pm

I sent in my deposit today.

'cause knowing me i'd lose my checkbook on saturday

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:34 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! WELCOME! Have fun at the ASW - please do let me know how it goes and take pics!

Drew

Charraj

New

Post by Charraj » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:08 pm

Came back from their student session. My thoughts...
It is a surprisingly small campus. What, two or three blocks? Not even? It IS pretty, to be sure. But also pretty small.
I was relieved that the student community there doesn't seem like it will back-stab and slit throats. In fact, alumni speakers spoke pretty convincingly about how UConn Law students are generally pretty supportive of each other. Apparently, being well-liked can only help you. Go figure. (One of the speakers gave birth to two children while in law school? You CAN'T pull that shit off without SOME kind of support, lol.)
Generally seems like a small, tight-knit campus. Only time will tell, of course, but I had a favorable impression.
Verdict: I submitted my deposit to UConn today. :)

in my eyes

New

Post by in my eyes » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:22 pm

As a CT TLS'er and a UCONN UG.. I'd be more than happy to meet some of you UCONN folks at the Half Door for a beer

in my eyes

New

Post by in my eyes » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:24 pm

None of you will regret the choice..

If you have any questions about CT, UCONN LAW or the West end of Hartford.. Let me know

I spent 2 yrs working a few blocks from the LS

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rhett08

New

Post by Rhett08 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:09 am

UConn's ASW was definitely a good time. It reinforced my impression that clinics are THE thing to do while you're there. (The Human Rights / Asylum clinic seems the most popular by far, at least among non-IP concentrators)

Yea, going back to Charraj's comment earlier, one of the alumnus had a kid as a 2L and another as a 3L...my goodness. But hey, she came out of UConn successful and is clerking at the moment - so all the more to her. The alumni panel was refreshing in the sense that they wanted to sell us the school, but not give us any false notions.

The campus looks really nice, minus the construction to the law library which should be completed sometime during our 1L. But I agree, it was far dinkier than I had previously thought. But beautiful nonetheless. I was told by a girl giving the tour that the wireless internet gets so-so when you go to the classroom on the higher floors, so buying a small ethernet cable wouldn't be a bad investment.

But all I got to say, is that I hope those long-winded kids asking those ridiculous questions during the Faculty/Alumni panels aren't in my first year section.....haha they were too much

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:15 am

Thank you all for your information regarding the ASW - I wish so much that I could have gone! I am so excited to get a chance to see the school that I will be attending next year! "In my eyes", I will definitely be up for a beer or two, or ten at the Half Door when I get back! I would love to arrange a time and a place for all of us UCONN TLSers to meet up in order to at least know some of our class.

Anyone have any good pictures? If so can you either PM them to me or put them on this board to post! That would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone, see you next year!

Drew

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:32 am

Pokle wrote:Pixies,

I pretty much lump hartford and worcester together. Hartford does have a better downtown and nightlife, but is actually smaller than worcester in population.

One of my good friends who lived in east hartford (a different town) last year had his car stolen from one of those (P)arking lots you see around there while it was parked downtown.

Hartford has a decent night life from the few times I've been there, and seeing as you survived living in worcester for four years your street smarts have got to be up to par.

I'm determined to live in west hartford once I commit to going to Uconn. I'm a city person, but in this case I'll assume suburbs = safety. I have half a dozen stories about break-ins and robberies that I experienced firsthand in worcester.
Welcome to Worcester, dollar twenty five please...

(If you haven't heard the toll both willy skit, you need to).

I grew up in Central Mass myself.

CourierTwelve

New

Post by CourierTwelve » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:29 am

Rhett08 wrote:
But all I got to say, is that I hope those long-winded kids asking those ridiculous questions during the Faculty/Alumni panels aren't in my first year section.....haha they were too much
Hah! So True! aside from that - It was a great introduction to some of the faculty. Dean Paul was very thorough in answering my question (which was short) and overall the attitude seemed to be helpful rather than intimidating.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”