University of Toronto Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Pyke

Bronze

University of Toronto Class of 2011

Post by Pyke » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:24 am

Exciting news.

Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9718453089&ref=mf

Looking forward to seeing everyone in the fall.
Last edited by Pyke on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

nvoight911

Bronze

Re: Toronto Class of 2011

Post by nvoight911 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:17 am

I wish! I vacationed in Toronto with a buddy from High School in May, and we wandered around the campus for like 3 hours. It's sooooo beautiful and I love the area around University Ave! You are so lucky to be going there!

JusAbstinendi

New

Post by JusAbstinendi » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:23 am

Pretty sure it's in Canada.

SlimPickens

New

Post by SlimPickens » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:31 am

I wish I had learned about this school before it's very early application deadline. The only Canadian school I looked at was McGill, and they didn't seem to offer a JD--so I gave up on looking at Canadian schools at all.

D'oh!

romr

New

Post by romr » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:20 am

Hey Pyke I am 90% sure I will be accepting my Toronto offer. I will be moving from Edmonton, Alberta to attend. I will PM you my e-mail address if you care to chat!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:24 am

What happened to Iowa?

edit: or was it Illinois?

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:40 pm

romr wrote:Hey Pyke I am 90% sure I will be accepting my Toronto offer. I will be moving from Edmonton, Alberta to attend. I will PM you my e-mail address if you care to chat!
Sure man :).

I've been super busy so not reading my thread.

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:46 pm

sky7 wrote:What happened to Iowa?

edit: or was it Illinois?
It was Illinois.

I still have the offer, I just have done some thinking. I think from a long-term standpoint, Toronto is a better choice. I've tried to base my decisions to date on doing the thing that allows me to leave the most doors open, and that was not based in finances.

Illinois has offered me a lot of money. It's an understatement really.

That said, I did the math.

The difference in cost is about $10,000 a year (in Illinois' favor). However, that doesn't account for my provincial financial aid bursary of $4,800; or any financial aid from the University of Toronto. Additionally, current UIUC students have told me that a car is a virtual necessity, that cuts into the margin even more.

I think I would do well there; but it commits me to a path and I'm not sure I'm ready to make that commitment. If I do my J.D. at Toronto, I can decide later to do an LLM if I want in the U.S., it seems like a wiser choice.

-Pyke

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:19 pm

Sending in my acceptance today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Congrats Pyke! I tried to get them to extend their deadline as I found about it too late but I don't think I would have gotten in anyhow. Kick some ass! By the way, I am stationed at Kandahar Air Field out here in Afghanistan and the Canadians have a rink (not ice) for hockey. We played them and got absolutely destroyed. In a few days they are bringing some former NHL players so I assume we will get beaten even worse. Oh well, y'all are born playing that game!

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:43 pm

Drew82abndiv wrote:Congrats Pyke! I tried to get them to extend their deadline as I found about it too late but I don't think I would have gotten in anyhow. Kick some ass! By the way, I am stationed at Kandahar Air Field out here in Afghanistan and the Canadians have a rink (not ice) for hockey. We played them and got absolutely destroyed. In a few days they are bringing some former NHL players so I assume we will get beaten even worse. Oh well, y'all are born playing that game!
Hockey = best sport ever :P

And yeah, it's funny - we had a hockey night in Canada in Afghanistan w/ Don Cherry and the like.

Consider that 10% of our population watches the weekly broadcast on average :P

just a girl

Bronze

Post by just a girl » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:02 pm

So that makes like, 200 people that watch it weekly? ;-)

Congratulations on making your decision!

bryguy

New

Post by bryguy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:04 pm

SlimPickens wrote:I wish I had learned about this school before it's very early application deadline. The only Canadian school I looked at was McGill, and they didn't seem to offer a JD--so I gave up on looking at Canadian schools at all.

D'oh!
LLB is the equiv to a JD and at McGill you get an LLB and BCL (or is it BLC ... or even LCB? haha) ... i considered applying there ... LOVE Montreal!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:43 pm

bryguy wrote:
SlimPickens wrote:I wish I had learned about this school before it's very early application deadline. The only Canadian school I looked at was McGill, and they didn't seem to offer a JD--so I gave up on looking at Canadian schools at all.

D'oh!
LLB is the equiv to a JD and at McGill you get an LLB and BCL (or is it BLC ... or even LCB? haha) ... i considered applying there ... LOVE Montreal!
I was in Montreal last weekend, actually.

The thing about the LLB is that it's an undergraduate degree; while it does allow you to practice law (and I do believe the states recognize it the same as a Canadian J.D. for those that do); it requires 2 yrs of undergrad as opposed to a completed bachelors degree.

bryguy

New

Post by bryguy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Pyke wrote: I was in Montreal last weekend, actually.

The thing about the LLB is that it's an undergraduate degree; while it does allow you to practice law (and I do believe the states recognize it the same as a Canadian J.D. for those that do); it requires 2 yrs of undergrad as opposed to a completed bachelors degree.
all that said though ... international students can get the LLB and the BLC (whatever) in 4 years as opposed to the 3 here in the US ... the down side to that is that you are taking 4 years instead of 3 ... the upside is that you are eligible to take the bar in common law AND civil law jurisdictions (i.e., US and UK)

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:58 pm

bryguy wrote:

all that said though ... international students can get the LLB and the BLC (whatever) in 4 years as opposed to the 3 here in the US ... the down side to that is that you are taking 4 years instead of 3 ... the upside is that you are eligible to take the bar in common law AND civil law jurisdictions (i.e., US and UK)
Uh....UK is Common Law too.

Only France is Civil Law.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:01 pm

Pyke wrote:

Any pictures of that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bryguy

New

Post by bryguy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:48 pm

Pyke wrote:
bryguy wrote:

haha ... i meant to say US and UK compared to countries like Brazil and Argentina ... MAH BAD ... hahaha ... you know when you think something but never type it and just move on?! yeah ... i had one of those moments ... (that was my bigest fear in writing my PS) ... haha

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:27 pm

bryguy wrote:
Pyke wrote:
bryguy wrote:

haha ... i meant to say US and UK compared to countries like Brazil and Argentina ... MAH BAD ... hahaha ... you know when you think something but never type it and just move on?! yeah ... i had one of those moments ... (that was my bigest fear in writing my PS) ... haha
I can relate.

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Anyone else considering Grad House?

I got my acceptance to that today.

JustDude

Bronze

Post by JustDude » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Pyke wrote:Anyone else considering Grad House?

Grad House sounds like fun!!! Partyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiing!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:24 am

JustDude wrote:
Pyke wrote:Anyone else considering Grad House?

Grad House sounds like fun!!! Partyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiing!!
Possibly. They might let some Masters of Music's in or something :P

Pyke

Bronze

Re: University of Toronto Class of 2011

Post by Pyke » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:16 am

Romr! You need to post more, I'm so wonewy here in the thread all alone :P

Pyke

Bronze

Post by Pyke » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:38 pm

Where are my 186 class mates when you need them?

CosmoLaw

Bronze

Post by CosmoLaw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey Guys,... I got accepted at U of T as well. Unless I somehow manage to get accepted at Stanford,... I'll be seeing you in the fall

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”